Knucklehead drivers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago a similar situation to Toes and Barabus's and not the time/space/experience/attitude to deal with it properly. Punk came across 4 lanes of rush hour traffic cutting off everyone in his station wagon and pinned me to a traffic island on my Goldwing, bottom of the left side saddlebag scraping along the top of the curb. Cars behind and alongside taking evasive action and using all lanes to do it, capahony of car horns blasting squealing tires, etc

Young girl in the back seat screaming at him, smacking him on the shoulder,saucer eyes wide on me, old man in the passenger seat speaking urgently to the kid who just hunches over wheel and maintains course & speed. I'm on my own horn trying to shed speed to drop back without upsetting the suspension and catapulting me out into the traffic chaos.

Got pissed and kicked the the kids side view mirror clean off the door, simultaneously planning my leap for his roof rack if the bike bag digs in. Suddenly I'm behind them, old man now waving his cane out the window on his side in anger.

I followed them for a while planning to kick some some ass when they pulled over somewhere, meanwhile other survivors (cagers ) from the chaos behind catch up, give me thumbs up, the kid the finger , and a few take turns pulling in front of him and jamming on their brakes which the kid barely avoids.

I drop back further realizing now this kid is on a training mission and it was no doubt the old man's mirror I launched into Michigan Ave. :unsure:

Since then I've always given way, let others take my space if they need it that badly, etc. Doubt I've lost 30 seconds for all of it combined , usually arriving at lights , etc. right with them and none the worse for wear.

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this very thing while out riding today. For me, the horns are way down on my list of priorities. I only use them 2-3 times a year, and only when I'm way out in the country, away from all humanity. When a situation develops, my reactions are to accelerate, move/swerve, or brake, in that order.
Jeff
Same here - our biggest asset is the ability to accelerate...usually I accompany the acceleration with a jog to the next lane over. Luckily, knock on wood, I have only had a few instances where some idiot has either pulled out in front of me not looking or swerved into my lane changing lanes, while blabbing on the cell or finishing off the double cheeseburger.

However, one of the guys I ride with almost bit the dust a few weeks ago. A cager was pulling out making a right hand turn on a 3 lane road here in Tampa, my friend and his wife (both on HD road kings) in the far left hand lane are going straight. The cager starts making the right hand turn into the far right lane to head the same direction, but then last minute decides to go straight across 3 lanes, to make a U turn almost t-boning my friend and his wife. He almost laid the bike down, his whitewalls are now streaked with black scuffs on the left side, but the bike popped back up when he kept on the throttle. He proceeded to calmly drop the kick stand and walk over to the cager and have a polite conversation, including doing some touch up body work with his fist to the hood of the cage in question.

He proceeded to calmly drop the kick stand and walk over to the cager and have a polite conversation, including doing some touch up body work with his fist to the hood of the cage in question.
When I'm King of the World, all motorcyclists will be issued Right-to-Carry permits and be allowed to exact summary justice on the side of the road, usually involving dragging offender out of offending vehicle and dispatching them on the spot. :angry2:

[sorry, this must be my day for violent fantasies.... :unsure: ]

Jb

Since then I've always given way, let others take my space if they need it that badly, etc. Doubt I've lost 30 seconds for all of it combined , usually arriving at lights , etc. right with them and none the worse for wear.
You're very wise to do so. Something I constantly need to work on when I'm riding is to not be provoked by other drivers. :angry2: I know I'm suceptible to that, so I continually have to check myself. I do so by remembering the sayings, "Whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make angry," and of course, "Pride goeth before the fall."

And anyway, what am I gonna do? I'm not violent, so I'm not going to knock any mirrors off or slug somebody. Am I gonna pass them with an attitude? Shine my brights in their eyes? Uh, yeah.... :(

Jb

...yep, time to move this decaying turd of a thread to a new home.

I wouldn't suggest interpreting that move as a positive or a badge of honor. Completely Off-Topic might be an indicator that you're pointlessly blathering.

...yep, time to move this decaying turd of a thread to a new home.
I wouldn't suggest interpreting that move as a positive or a badge of honor. Completely Off-Topic might be an indicator that you're pointlessly blathering.

Thats funny :clapping: