KTM Super Duke Input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lake Powell

Reaction score
Looking at the KTM Super Duke, an 07' model, that a new local dealer has as an addition to the FJR. I love my FJR but would like to have a bike to fulfill the bit of hooligan in me.

Who has one or has ridden one?

Any feed back would be appreciated!

Try a KTM Forum.

I've ridden a KTM 950SM and it's by far the easiest big bike I've ever ridden. No contest just hop on and go, no learning curve. And speaking of curves, holy f**k does it turn easy. The owner of a local KTM shop, Nor-Cal motorsports, calls the SM a lazy mans bike and says the Duke turns good too but takes more effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the KTM Super Duke, an 07' model, that a new local dealer has as an addition to the FJR. I love my FJR but would like to have a bike to fulfill the bit of hooligan in me.
Who has one or has ridden one?

Any feed back would be appreciated!

Funny, I have been thinking about selling the KLR and getting a 690SMC... :)

Rick

i'm afraid of even walking near one, that i'll end up losing my license. that thing just looks like it would get me involved with leo's quick and often... ( :

Just to much fun. Very quick, well balanced, works the coners effertlessly. But not cheap. Would love to have one in my garage but as Dean says "that i'll end up losing my license" could be very true.

I test drove both the Ducati Hypermotard and the KTM SuperDuke before I got my FJR. The Superduke is a great bike and a fun ride. Engine is very smooth and shifts like a hot knife through butter. You should be able to find a dealer that offers test rides as they appear to be sponsored by the manufacturer. My other bike is a Suzuki Vstrom and I think that the Vstrom turns into corners very easily (more so than the FJR) and the SuperDuke acts the same. I took the bike out on the highway and even without wind protection I did not think it was bad at all. I don't know how many miles you could put on one in a ride but I do not think that the riding position was any more aggressive than the FJR.

The SuperDuke is a little pricey due to the weak dollar in Europe, I think it was listing at 14,500 so I would not take it as a single bike in place of the FJR but as a second bike it would be a great addition.

Good Luck

I've ridden the SD a couple of times. I liked it a lot, but it seems very one-dimensional to me with the tiny tank and absolutely no place to strap a bag. I don't want an SUV bike, but I do need a little more versatility in my bikes so I can do a little more than just blast around for an hour. The FI seemed a little touchy, but any bike like this is going to be skitterish. Overall, a fun, fun ride.

I'm not a big fan of KTM reliability and maintenance though. Lots of folks have good luck, but there are some fundamental design issues with the KTM twin that have never been completely solved and routine maintenance is difficult. The there are a few horror stories about stuff passing QA/QC at the factory that just should NEVER happen (like circlips missing in the water pump system).

The tests of the Hypermotard have all complained that there is something a little odd about the seating position and handling - something is slightly "off" and the KTM's are better all-around bikes. But man oh man, the HM is just a lot cooler looking and in this class of bike, a torquey air-cooled twin would be my preference - these are elemental bikes and the HM seems truer to the breed.

Can't go wrong with either (or the BMW HP2 either if you're made of money). But I'd get the Hypermotard.

- Mark