Kuryakyn & Vstrom hand guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I was doing searches last weekend, and I saw something.

I know I did! Dang it! I did!

Now I can't find it anywhere.

Here it is. I got a Kuryakyn throttle lock, and it works just fine. Before buying, I was looking at other ideas, and somewhere, I found pictures of someone that had the Kuryakyn AND what looked like a VStrom hand guard. Both of them. I looked at the pics and compared it to my bike, and I said, that might be right handy for a cold weather long distance ride. But, it simply does not look as if I have room on the handlebar to mount that hand guard.

So... Whoever it is that has both of these items mounted - where can I find the pictures? And - how did you do it?

Here you go, I hope:
I have the Kuryakin throttle lock, VStrom 1000 hand guards (that do NOT attach at the bar end) AND BMW sport grips.
Before I put the Kuryakin on I had the Heavy Milled Throttlemeister and the end of the throttle tube was not as visible because of the black rubber piece that goes over the throttle tube end when using the throttlemeister.

As it stands now, I am probably going back to stock grips.

I had to "slim" down the kuryakin quite a bit to make it fit between the control pod and the brake reservoir hardware, but the dremel performed well.

I also had to fiddle with the spacer to get the throttle lock to sit in the right spot.Not done with that yet.

e2xp.jpg

vld3.jpg

gjna.jpg

83py.jpg

yswn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I love the hand guards, even though I had to go to town with the dremel to make them fit properly (and they don't attach at the end)

My hands stay dry and warm.

Timely thread as I have been thinking about doing this for a little while. My enthusiasm for ridding in sub 40 degree weather is fading but these might change my mind. Found another post by Dennis H back in 2011 with more information. Google search: vstrom handguards site:fjrforum.com

Those are the ones that attach at the bar ends. I have this same version. I think that the 650's don't have the piece that returns at the end of the bar. Just the bolt mount at the lever pivot. I believe that is the difference.

I have a set of the Vstrom handguards with the piece that goes back to the bar end removed. They work fine. I also have a Vista-Cruise throttle lock.

Latest posts