Lake George

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Just came back from Lake George, great ride all back roads from CT. I went to expo, seen top cases from Shad never heard of them but they looked nice, built in backrest and came with plate, optional brake lights and for a good price. Anyone have one and care to comment?

UPS will be delivering my new SH-46 today as a matter of fact.

Ordered it with the backrest and in blue to match my '05.

Also got the special mount for Gen I FJRs.

I'll let you know once I get it tonight.

I added a Shad40CA. I think the proportion and shape compliment the FJR. It has a built in rack on the top of the case and came with a bungee net. Good quality and a very fair price that includes the mounting plate. I was less impressed with the clamps that are supposed to mount it to the FJRs rack so I just fabricated a couple of flat aluminum bars. I padded them with some self adhesive foam and used some stainless bolts with nylocks. The mounting plate and the bars sandwich the FJRs rack.

The case is plenty big enough for my full face flip up with room to spare.

Edit: Some photos are here at my Google photo account

One thing I forgot: I also ordered the backrest but my pillion found the position uncomfortable and I had to remove it. Unfortunately you have to drill 2 small holes to mount it. I advise everyone to try it without the backrest and maybe duct tape it on for a comfort test before you punch the holes.

Pat: 6 of us road the backroads from western Mass up there on Friday. We had a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had the SH-46 on our '06, but I felt that the mount did not provide the support necessary to serve as a passenger backrest. I also disliked the stickers falling off after only one wash and have since sold it and bought a Givi 46. I am far happier with the Givi as far as quality and durability. The mount is nearly bomb proof compaired to the Shad. I know there is a price difference, but after having both the Givi is worth the extra $$.

We had the SH-46 on our '06, but I felt that the mount did not provide the support necessary to serve as a passenger backrest. I also disliked the stickers falling off after only one wash and have since sold it and bought a Givi 46. I am far happier with the Givi as far as quality and durability. The mount is nearly bomb proof compaired to the Shad. I know there is a price difference, but after having both the Givi is worth the extra $.
That's why I got the Top Master mounting bracket made specifically for the FJR. It's a pretty serious hunk of steel bolted right onto the bike. Plus, the mount, which is WAY better than the universal clamp things, only cost $50 which is still way less expensive then GIVI's.

Also, I got it in blue and must say I couldn't have gotten a better color match with my '05 than if I had it painted it myself.

I will admit, the grey/silver sticker that runs around it below where it opens looks like it will prob. not last, but I've been thinking of maybe seeing if there may be some reflective decals like I got for the side cases that may fit on there anyway.

I just got it mounted last night - If I don't post a photo within the next 2 days, there will be many taken during the Cats & Daks weekend.