Laminar Lip, does it work?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijuggle

Reaction score
I'd like to know what the concensus is. Does the Laminar Lip work as advertised?

I have the Rifle on my 04 and love it compaired to stock.

I'm 6'-4" and would like to get the windblast to magicly lift another 3 or 4 inches without mounting a barn door sized windshield.

Thanks

I'd like to know what the concensus is. Does the Laminar Lip work as advertised?

I'm 6'-4" and would like to get the windblast to magicly lift another 3 or 4 inches without mounting a barn door sized windshield.

Thanks
Juggle it seems like most things everyone gets different results with all the aftermarket stuff but I thing the Laminar lip works well for me. I use one on a stock size windshield for warm weather use and I feel it cleans up the air in down position and gives a pretty quiet pocket of air in the full up position. Also the lip can be mounted were ever you like so closer to the top of the shield will divert more air away from you and so on. Here is a pic of mine. They are a little weird looking but who cares.

MaineFJrally044.jpg

I too have a laminar lip. I've used it only on two of the bigger shields I own (Ahamay touring and Rifle Sport) in the colder months, and in conjunction with the rifle tuning block. I also find that it cleans up the air turbulence at the shields breakpoint. I don't find that it extends the quiet zone upwards very much, but it does allow you to run your shield higher with less turbulence.

Note: It isn't very pretty.

Which of the Rifle shields are you running on your '04? The Sport model or the Touring?

I have them both, but have never felt the need (or desire) to put the Lip on the touring model.

But then again, I'm (only) 6'2". ;)

PS - The Rifle Touring IS a barn door windshield. Biggest that I am aware of. I only run it in the extreme bitter cold (just before the snow flies) in order to minimize the ostracizing comments. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The lip seems to work exactly as advertised, the air passing over the surface of the lip creates a vacuum behind it which pulls the air coming up the windshield forward and up over your helmet. I'm 6' 5" and the lip works well.

The downside, as Fred Said....it doesn't do anything to quiet the air down and they are kinda 'Coyote Ugly'!

AND, I paid over $90 for a little hunk of plexi less than 2' long....they're expensive!

The Lip is one of those products that works as advertised. I put mine on the stock shield which I use in warm weather. In the spring and fall I use a Cal Sci XL. I'm 6'3".

The tuning block / spacer mod works great.

I have used a Laminar Lip on a huge Rifle shield on a different bike, and while it helped a little, it didn't help enough.

If you want to you could make one for around $5.00. I used a propane heater to put the curve in the lexan and it has held it's shape for 2 years now.

IMGP0035-2.jpg

IMGP0040.jpg

I actually made a similar home-brewed lexan lip, originally for my 2001 Connie, but still have it around, and tried adapting it to the Feejer, with less than satisfying results. Not to discourage anyone from ever playing around with these kinds of mods themselves. I have a lot of fun doing stuff like that.

I think part of what makes the LL work as it does is the compound curve, or "flip", at the upper edge. Now generally it has been my experience that windshields with flips generate some of the worst turbulence off the top, but for some reason, the LL flip works differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine helps on the stock shield on warm days it puts the air above my face I'm 6 foot. The Dual Lock disk come loose after awhile so mine is in a corner of the building. Need to flatten the lip out more so the disk will be flatter to the shield I guess.

Mine helps on the stock shield on warm days it puts the air above my face I'm 6 foot. The Dual Lock disk come loose after awhile so mine is in a corner of the building. Need to flatten the lip out more so the disk will be flatter to the shield I guess.
They have strips of the 'dual-lock' material, I think 5 1/2" or 6" long....maybe a couple of those would give enough 'grab' to hold it securely.

That reminds me, Leo was to send me out some of those and didn't, time for an e-mail!

Thanks
I had one on my 07 and absolutely thought it was great. I took the lip off the bike and left the rest of the bike in Montana. Picked up a 08 in November. I have not installed the LIP because the temps are still on the cool side here in the NE and the buttons need warmer weather to really grab and cure to the windshield. What I do notice is much more wind and turbulence on the 08 versus the 07, so it must work.

Willie

When I bought my ’04, the turbulence off the factory screen had me looking at replacement shields in short order. After hearing about the LL and the opportunity to obtain one used for a good price came along, I decided to give it a try. Figured worst case, I might have to try and re-sell it if it didn’t work out. Well I was so please with the results I got from the LL, I stopped my shield search and got onto other farkels. The LL smoothed out the air flow for me and I’ve been happy with it for several years now. BullCBX

The trick to getting the Laminar Lip's dual lock fasteners properly stuck on is to clean all traces of grease residue from both surfaces with an appropriate degreaser or solvent. Just be careful which solvents you use around your plastic windshield.

Extra dual lock buttons can be bought directly from Laminar Lip for a reasonable cost ($6 for 10 pairs I think it was). I got the extras so I could move the LL when I swapped shields with the seasons.