Laminar Lip evaluation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a LL for a couple of seasons now. I agree with your assessment. The biggest thing it does is to smooth out the turbulence of the air coming off the top of any windshield.

I use mine mostly it on my Ahamay Touring accessory shield (+2") with the Rifle Tuning block installed (which makes the Ahamay only as high as the stock shield), but also have the velcro buttons mounted on my wider Rifle Sport model.

Another nice thing about the LL is if it does get really hot and you need more air, it can be removed out along the side of the road. Finding a place to stash it is the only issue.

And great idea on the nut n' bolt. Belt and suspenders works for me. I'll have to try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using mine on an oversize Cee Bailey windshield, and will change over to the touring shield for summer. Either way the Laminar Lip really quiets the air and allows the shield to be operated at much lower elevations, which increases the rake angle and is more aerodynamic. With the oversize shield the Lip eliminates all the turbulence that used to drop over the tip of the shield and cause noise at the helmet. In the full-down position, a smooth stream of air is directed at the helmet for cooling. I kind of like to ride with the helmet visor open, and deflect the air just over the top, or to the brow...it is that precise.

As you can see here, on my shield, the Lip is narrower than the shield and I have doubled the number of 3M Dual Lock fasteners. The Lip has withstood blasts over 100 MPH.

DSC_3849Medium.jpg

Thanks Willie.

I've been an avid 'Lipee' since I put one on my '82 Seca 650. Every bike since then has had one.

As mentioned in an earlier post, my FJR came with a CeeBailey +4 reverse contour shield - the previous owner must have been about 7'!

I was going to replace the shield as I could only look over it in the 'almost down' position. Laminar suggested keeping it and adding a Suzuki Burgman lip. I did this and it works excellent.

Al

Intersting all you peeps who like the LL. I tried one once. For me, there was no discernible benefit. I took it off.