Lane Splitting Bill Pending Vote In Texas Legislature

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite subject.... :)

I think Fairlaner likes to go onto the right shoulder. I think he likes to go against on-coming traffic too, and ride on the sidewalk. I draw the line at the sidewalk myself.

The really cool thing about California is that commuters expect motorcycles to be coming up the middle. It is so common that they think it's natural. I have never had a driver in five years of daily commuting act aggressively toward me. The most I've seen is a half-hearted nudging over to make it tight. It doesn't affect them, so they don't object. They know motorcycles live in a different world--three-dimensional creatures in a two-dimensional world.

Here's a re-link to my compilation of lane-sharing videos.

Jb

P.S. But you know, having said that, whenever you tell someone you ride a motorcycle, the first words out of their mouths is, "Are you one of those guys ['crazy nuts'] who goes up between the cars and comes out of nowhere?"

Oh you bet I am.

"You guys scare the hell out of me! I'm afraid I'm going to change lanes into you..." blah blah blah.... And I just nod and grin.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Only in Cali can you "share" the lane. But don't go over the fog line on the right or center double or solid line in the center as you will get ticketed. Like if your on a single lane two way highway and the traffic is slowed or stopped, and there's not enough room, your screwed. Your goin to have to wait. :glare:

Yes there are riders who ignore this, (I won't mention any names) :whistling: , but if the man sees it your busted. I have a good friend who is a CHP veteran and he said most officers will look for riders who are going more than 35 mph faster than the flow of traffic or if traffic is traveling faster than 35 mph and you decide to "share", they could write you up for wreckless driving or whatever.

But I've seen abuse's in both areas and the rider wasn't ticketed. Just depends on the kind of day the officer is having I suppose. :dntknw: My CHP friend said he thinks lane sharing is allowed because its easier for the bike cops to move through traffic to give us tickets and attend to wrecks, or get some doughnuts and such. :sarcasm: Anyway, hope you Texas boys get the law passed and soon and if so, you'd have to edge-e-cate the cagers. :D Ride free, PM. <><

Lane splitting here in Calif. is a rather mellow thing, but as a former Texan I can predict that it ain't going to be so mellow in the Lone Star State, at least around Dallas.

That is high-pressure traffic. I remember a few years ago trying to merge in the family car from the LBJ to eastbound I-30. It was a fairly hot day at rush hour and the cars all closed up so that I couldn't merge at the end of the ramp. I had to stop, and I idled so long my engine was overheating before I finally managed to scoot in ahead of a semi. It was a squeeze, and the trucker was so angry he blew his horn until it sounded like he'd emptied his air tank.

I can just see Jim Bob and Bubba (my brothers-in-law) laughing with delight as they squeeze over to close off the path between lanes, or maybe open a door in front of an oncoming bike.

Haha. So if traffic is stopped, you can't legally go faster than walking speed when lane-splitting.
Still moving beats sitting in traffic all the time. Even if it's just lane filtering, you can make it through traffic a LOT faster than if you were sitting still. I used to get home anywhere between 45 minutes and 1 hour 25 minutes during peak hour back home in the car. On the bike, because I could exercise due care and judgement, even adhering to the 5 mph rule I got home in 27 minutes, plus or minus 2, just because of filtering.

I think 5 mph is much slower than you guys realize. Average walking speed for an adult is 4 mph; you'd cover four miles in one hour of nonstop walking. Try having someone walk along the shoulder while you follow alongside them on your FJR; you'll see how slow it is....

The easiest rule to remember is you should only lane-split in a situation where you can safely stay inbetween lanes if you need to (such as the two cars beside you accelerating as fast as you do so you can't get in front of them).
I walk at 3 mph, and pass people frequently. I don't think 4 mph is a good bet.

Here's my unofficial rules for lane splitting that I used back home:

1) unless it's an extenuating circumstance, Tenchi doesn't split above 25 mph. Extenuating circumstance like 2 assholes driving at 45 mph in a 60 zone on a 2 lane highway, holding up traffic behind them, for no reason other than they're assholes.

2) Whatever you do, don't split 10mph or more above the speed of traffic. You won't have time to react if someone more than 2 car lengths ahead decides to change lanes. Remember what happened last time (see crash club stickers).

3) Let the guy behind you through first. He'll make sure the cagers are paying attention, and it's rude to hold up a faster splitter.

4) If you can't out drag the car next to you, don't split. Because you can just about guarantee that he's going to be an asshole and try to run you down.

5) Take extra care filtering if you didn't see the red light turn red. It could go green any second.

I'd like filtering to be legal in Washington. For the most part I wouldn't use it, but the last time I rode from work (November 14, 2008) the weather was terrible, I was stuck in traffic, there was plenty of space between the cars where I could have just lane split, but the man was sitting there, nabbing all the riders that were doing it, so instead I got soaked to the bone, got extremely cold and wet, and fatigued from watching my 6 in case someone tried to ram me.

I watched as a bicycle rider riding on the bicycle path overtook me and calculated that if it took me any longer than 35 minutes to reach the bridge, it would be faster on a bicycle. Today marks my 44th day of commuting to work by bicycle. I'd rather be cold, wet and looking like a kid on the short bus getting home than cold, wet and goofy looking stuck in traffic.

Texas riders would be lucky to have the law pass..........if you have never ridden in CA or Europe (or most of the rest of the world) it is a bit intimidating at first. After awhile though, it becomes second nature and is actually quite safe. One caveat however, a large bagger like the FJR is really limited if you don't want to remove mirrors off the cagers!

Outstanding! Calling my rep today about it. I lane split for years in CA and Europe and have no problem doing it. Although here, with the "might is right" 4X4 crew cab dualie crowd, it might take some getting used to. Just always have to remember road rage is not an option and to stay inside your helmet and concertrate on the task at hand (don't daydream).