Last Weekend's Farkle Work

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
Well, I had finally procrastinated long enough, and got down to the daunting sounding task of pulling off my front forks (EEK!, my bike's been decapitated!!!) replacing the rotors (what do you mean, heat the bolts first?) and other more mundane stuff (amazing how much gunk a radiator guard can collect....).

This first shot is already a few hours into the op... the first part of which was a bit of woodworking on a lift support for the front end. Got the idea from the international FJR forum, and it worked quite well.

Bike%20without%20front%20wheel.jpg

You'll note the shop manual opened to the proper page on the rear of the bike... but in reality, I used the walkthroughs from FJRtech and FJRinfo more than the manual... and the front fairings are off the bike (I couldn't get to the lower fork clamp bolts otherwise...) You'll also see one of the forks hanging from the garage door railing in the back...

The next picture has my fairing pieces off for a good de-griming while the rest is going on... the fork is still draining, with the new springs and Silkolene ready to go in. I also flushed both forks with auto tranny fluid to help get the insides good and clean.

Hanging%20fork%20and%20sidepieces.jpg

Here are both forks, ready to go back in ... new springs and oil added... not nearly as difficult as I had made myself think it would be (and that's a Diet Coke in the coozie....).

Two%20forks%20ready%20to%20go%20back%20in.jpg

While the wheel was off, I took the opportunity to clean out the gunk that had accummulated on my rad guard, and the Magnum horns. Interesting note, was that the horns rattled when I took them off... they had each collected pieces of rock/gravel that I guess bounced in the opening during a ride. Was able to get it all out by swirling the horns in a circle... surprised me how much came out.

Radiator%20guard%20doing%20its%20job.jpg

Got that all cleaned up, reassembled, reattached and reloaded...

All%20back%20together%202.jpg

Hey.. and check out those rotors.... veddy niiiiiiice... I want to give a big thanks to Stef (TRex) for the advice to heat the metal around the rotor bolts before trying to remove them... that helps greatly in getting the loctite to release... didn't strip a single bolt, although my old socket wrench gave it's life for the team. Got 2 new ones at the local Auto Zone when I went to recycle the fork oil....

Rotorbling2.jpg

And finally a view from the cockpit....

Cockpit%202.jpg

Next up is the Spiegler lines....

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice Work. Did you take it for a spin afterward? No creaks, leaks, or other stuff that make you cuss?

Yes I did, and purposely left out my earplugs... so I could hear any new squeaks, plonks, bangs, squeals, or thumps. I've also had it parked in the same spot for a day or so now to make sure there are no slow evolving leaks....

So far, so good!