Late Fall White Mountain Loop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the Northeast section. Just moving it over here in the ride reports section where it makes more sense.

So, this morning, it was right around 9AM by the time I had committed myself, tried to connect with some locals (unsuccessfully), aired up the tires, and headed down the driveway. My plan was to make a grand loop around Mt Washington and the White Mountains in general. No time to dally...

Therefore, a little early AM slabbing was also in order, to get on up d'ere "toot sweet" (yeah, dat dere's French). I did divert onto the parallel side road of Rte 132 from Concord up to Ashland, but the roads were kind'a damp <_< and not freshly paved (understatement). <_<

In Ashland I opted back onto I-93 and slabbed on up the rest of the way to Lincoln for the start of the fun. :yahoo:

As soon as I turned off onto Rte 112 in Lincoln, I immediately realized that this was to be a different kind of day. There was NO traffic to speak of in the normally busy village of Lincoln. :huh: I buzzed right through and on up to the first scenic vista wayside, on the top side of the famous hairpin turn.

100_2965.jpg

This ridge is called the "Three Sisters".

100_2969.jpg

The next wayside up, just before the height of the Kank Pass, gives even more spectacular views to the southwest.

100_2971.jpg

100_2972.jpg

100_2973.jpg

One of the most enjoyable parts of the it was that I had the place to myself. (Click picture below for full size panorama)

Here's a picture for all those Westerners to make fun of...

100_2976.jpg

The view from wayside on the east side of the Kank pass was as beautiful as any time I've ever been there before. This is our traditional rest stop on the "Whites" ride.

100_2981.jpg

100_2977.jpg

And I also did not have to share this overlook with anyone...

100_2982.jpg

There is a little alpine pond along the Kank. It sort of reminds me of the lakes in Glacier National Park, which I so long to visit that a picture of it hangs on our kitchen wall.

100_2983.jpg

But, every picture looks better with a li'l Feejer, doncha know...

100_2984.jpg

Sugar Hill overlook is on the way down the east side of the Pass. View is looking north.

100_2987.jpg

And then on up through Bear Notch Road. It was repaved 2 years ago and is still in decent shape. I wasn't quite sure if it would still be open. They do not maintain it in winter and we did have a good dumping of the white stuff the prior week. But when I got to the gate it was open, and there were very few cars along the way. What fun!

View north from the first overlook on Bear Notch Rd

100_2990.jpg

The village of Bartlett down below.

100_2992.jpg

First good look at Mt Wash.

100_2989.jpg

At the top of Bear Notch, I went left on Rte 302 up through Crawford Notch

100_2994.jpg

Getting closer to George's Mountain

100_2995.jpg

Here is the approach to the actual notch (left to right)

100_2999.jpg

Up near the top of the Notch road, the Cascades were flowing nicely. This is Silver Cascade, the most impressive to me.

100_3001.jpg

But the traffic was pretty unbearable

100_3003.jpg

The old train station at Crawford Notch

100_3005.jpg

This here is the "money shot" for the day. It is the eastern slope of Mt Washington, sprinkled with fall snow, and the Mount Washington Hotel and golf course in the foreground.

100_3007.jpg

From there, I turned North again, from the town of Twin Mountain and up Rte 115 to Rte 2 in Jefferson. Across the north end of the Presidential Mountains to Gorham, then down Rte 16 through Pinkham Notch. Most people know of Pinkham Notch as the location of the start of the Mt. Washington Auto Road (closed today).

100_3015.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3012.jpg

100_3013.jpg

100_3017.jpg

The infamous "Tuckerman Ravine".

All winter long snow blowing (and it blows very hard) over the top of Mt Washington, and it settles into the ravine. Because it is on the north east side of the big mountain it stays shady until the sun gets higher in the sky, so this is often the last spot on the mountain with deep snow in spring.

Annually in the spring, rugged outdoorsy folks climb up the steep face of the ravine and ski down it (there are no lifts).

100_3018.jpg

That was my last notch of the day. From there I wandered down Rte 16 past the ever quaint village of Jackson. You have to go through this bridge to get to the village from the south side

100_3020.jpg

Josie and I have spent a lot of winter days in Jackson. We like it more than the hustle and bustle of North Conway. Which is where I went next. There is a little wayside right in North Conway with a good view looking back up at the old man:

100_3022.jpg

Well that was pretty much it. I ran down a few (new) favorite roads, Chickville Rd and from Ossipee to Tuftonboro, then Ledge Hill Rd and Rte 109A to Wolfboro. Then duked it out with the slow traffic down Rte 28 back to the homestead. All-in-all it was a pretty fabulous ride. Sorry that I couldn't share it with anyone else. But you know, sometimes, just you and your machine and the natural beauty... that can be the best day of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're killing me Fred!! I parked my bike in Florida a couple of weeks ago after an epic end-of-the-season ride. I was expecting a late fall weather disaster to equal much of the 2011 riding season - poorer than most. Did not feel too bad about leaving it there at the time (flew home) . I figured the trip made up for a slightly earlier end to the riding season.

The last week has been great here and a New Hampshire trip would have been on the radar if I had wheels. I will take some consolation in the fact that I expect to go down and "visit" the bike for several days in late February or early March.

Any good ride in November is a bonus. From the great pictures and narrative, I would judge you had a fantastic time!

Ross

Nice, Freddy Boy.

I went for a little ride yesterday but I didn't see no steenking mountains

:D

Went up along the coast yesterday rt1 to 1A in Hampton then 1B and on to Portsmouth. Continued up 1A into York and then to Perkins Cove for a very poor excuse for a lobster role. A dollar more then The Eagles Nest and about 1/3rd the lobster meat. Should have gone to Brewer.

1A and 1B without traffic are really sweet, especially at 65-70 degrees. :yahoo:

What a perfect day for that loop. And glad to see you got the last few pictures straightened out ;) Last time we attempted the Kanc it was in late spring and it was bumper to bumper. You scored big time!

It's strange looking at your pictures and not seeing much snow. The southwestern part of NH still had a good amount on the ground when we rode through there on Monday. There was so much snow on the shoulders of Route 47 past the Crotched Mt. Ski Area that reminded us of what it was like in the CO Rockies in June!

Yeah, I think that there was a belt of heavier snow down south last week (like right here in L'town!!) which was where all the power outages were.

The north country got spared... for now. Won't be long now before the seasonal roads are closed for the year. <_<

'Cause you know, those are usually the funnerest ones. ;)

Buzzing up through Bear Notch at ~50-60 is the bomb diggety. :yahoo:

Unfortunately, when I stopped for photos I did get behind a pickup truck pulling a trailer on the way down into Bartlett. :angry2:

Should have just waited and taken more pictures...

edit: Here's a look at the full route from yesterday in green.

307 miles in 7:27, only stopped for pictures.

The prior afternoon's Freshie Find route is the one in red.

White-Mt-Loop.jpg

Good stuff, Fred! Thanks for sharing!

But you were in North Conway and ya didn't ride Hurricane Mountain Road? You should be ashamed...

Good one Fred! I recognize a few of those spots from The Green & Whites (well, Whites ride :) from 2 years ago.

The bikes are officially down for the season as of Monday evening. Still gotta change the oil in the Feej, but, it won't be turning wheel again until sometime in April.

3C and pouring rain here today..

Fred, thanks for sharing your notches.

Isn't it almost like winning the Lotto when you have no traffic on awesome roads?

The ranch in eastern Montana was high plains, elevations of 2520 to 2820. So the pass sign did raise a smile.

Thanks for taking us along!

PS: I want to do those dang covered bridges some day.

Very cool. When looking at the first few pictures, the location looks an awful lot like the road/location used in the beginning of the film "Donnie Darko"; do you know if this is accurate?

What's a notch?
Lemme put it to you like this: if you had a set of balls, it'd be called your crotch.

Damn Candy Butt riders...

Actually, it'd be a lot more like an ass crack, but without the nasty smell, and there's no asshole in the notch.

Well, that is... except when I'm there. :p

I take great pride in being an asshole. But I'm workin' on that smell... ;)