Latest helmet farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I recently purchased and installed one of these on my helmet. In-flight testing has proven the visor to be very effective. I wasn't really romantic about putting a strip of tape across my face shield, but that probably would have worked just as good. The visor probably looks a bit gay, but I haven't noticed my bike being a chick magnet anyway. I used the lift off kit, which allows for removal and a choice of heights to mount the thing. It came with everything necessary to install, but I found it to be quite critical to get the thing placed just right before adhering. I'd recommend actually following the instructions and have another set of hands help you get placement right while you sit in position on the bike, facing a setting sun (or rising, if you're into getting your partner up early to help). Anyway, in case somebody's on the fence about getting one of these, I give it a :thumbup: FWIW

Here's what I currently wear..Not to sure what the wind resistance will be like at a buck-fifty but until I wait it out and see..

Arai XD

I put about 1.5 widths of electrical tape across the top of my visor. Works great, lasts a long time, and costs about squat!

Hey, TC I have been using that exact same super-visor for about 3 years now, I had to find something, due to headaches from the sun, plus the general safety benefits. Does the trick for me, very satisfied customer, the ck magnet thing <_< ummm I dont know I'm married-happily and 46 years of age, I kinda opted for the safety, glare reduction and help w/headaches just seemed more important to my old warn out ass. Get one and try it, hell it doesn't hardly cost anything, and mine is still on through rain, cold, heat, etc. for 3 years now.

That looks like a good solution to the problem. I considered the tape route but while that might block the sun it would do nothing about glare on the shield, which is just as bad if not worse than the sun. 'specially since I never ride in daylight without sunglasses.

Toe, how is this thing about catching the wind? Could it be mounted practically so that it could be removed or would that be just use two different shields? Any one tried it on a Shoei RF1000?

Edit: Now I see on the webpage for it that it is removable. Good thing I think

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not completely convinced of the "Stylish and Aerodynamic" bit of the advertising on their website......Looks kind of funky to me.... I just recall seeing a write up on a Nolan helmet that actually has a smaller tinted sheild that comes down over the top of your clear shield. However, it seems to me that looking through 2 layers of smudged, scratched, bug-juice splattered plastic probably wouldn' work either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, I ain't TC and I suspect my opinion isnt worth as much, but for what little it is worth, I have had this super-visor on my flip HJC for 3 years, most of which was riding behind a large shield on my vstar cruiser, obviously much more wind protection in that situation, but have used it since buying my feejer last Sept 26, 05, I have a stock shield on my feejer and I am 6'. The visor provides me no wind related problems w/helmet flip in the full down position. However, this visor is permanent once installed, if you decide you don't like it, you will have to buy another visor for your helmet, the glue will not dissolve.

Toe, how is this thing about catching the wind? Could it be mounted practically so that it could be removed or would that be just use two different shields? Any one tried it on a Shoei RF1000?
I mounted mine so it is removable, with the included bits in the kit, on my RF-1000. It is vented so it won't catch wind, and I haven't noticed any wind resistance yet. It also allows me to easily access the vent doors on the front of my helmet.

Jim, I ain't TC and I suspect my opinion isnt worth as much...
Don buddy, don't sell yourself short. I'm a big practitioner of "inherent worth and dignity of every person". My opinion is no more valuable than anybody else's. Just more frequent than most. ;)

That said, the visor company now makes a removable mount kit, or you can mount it permanent. Just be sure to use the included emery board to rough up the plastic where the mount pads go. Shoei face shields have a silicone coating that will keep the glue from bonding.

My Nolan flip face had an accessory dark visor that I bought last fall and it works perfect. It wiil move up out of the way fairly snug to the helmut or incrementally down to cover the top 2 inches or so of the opening. Love it.

I have used this product on most of my helmets and have given them to friends and employees as well. The sunblocker shield is easy to install on the inside of a visor. It can be repositioned or trimmed-to-fit easily. They generally run about 15 bucks or so, and they make a version for an Arai lid as well.

https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=SB

BTW... That black plastic piece looks like it might do double duty as a deer whistle!

I mask off about the lower 3/4 of the inside of my clear face shields, and paint the upper section with BBQ black paint. Works and looks great. I've quit buying tinted shields and just wear sunglasses during the daylight hours. At night I wear a pair of clear glasses under the shield so I can open the visor when needed and still have eye protection. Cheap and effective!