LD fuel tank..Will this work??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Looking for a little input from you LD guys. I am in the planning stage for a pass seat fuel tank. If I remember the IBA will only allow 11.5 gallons of fuel. I have found several "race car" alum 5 gal tank that I could make work. There are also several 4 gal out there.

Since Warchild is one of the IBA tech guy's I guess I am throwing this at you :) .... The stock fuel tank is 6.6, plus a aux fuel cell of 5 gallons total 11.6. One 10th over the legal limit. If I put something inside the 5 gallon fuel cell to take the space of a 10th or 2 would this be allowed?? Also once it is approved at a rally is it good forever?? Or does it have to be checked each time...

I know it would have to be mounted properly ect..... I was just thinking this would be a great/cheap way to have a extra 4.9 gal of fuel with out spending a $1000. to do it... Thanks for any input, Smitty

5 gal cell with a bladder should be about right. That or cave in a side or two with the BFH... :p Look here for volume displacement blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the IBA specify's a minimum fill rate at what is considered to be full.

Copied from the IBA 2003 Rules, Appendix A:

Appendix A: Fuel system capacity

Fuel system capacity will be determined by the method specified below:

1. Original Equipment Tanks

For original equipment (OE) tanks, the manufacturer's specified capacity shall be used unless the IBR has published alternative specifications 30 days in advance of the event. In the case of conflicting manufacturer's specifications, and in the absence of an alternative specification published by the IBR, the highest capacity published by the manufacturer shall be used. For example, in the case of the BMW R1100RT, the highest capacity specified by the manufacturer is 7.26 U.S. gallons, which our measurements confirm is the correct capacity.

2. Modified Tanks, After-Market Tanks, and Auxiliary Fuel Systems

The capacity of all non-OE elements of a fuel system shall be determined by the amount of water or gasoline required to fill and empty system (including lines, pumps, filters, etc.). Water may be used to measure individual tanks or whole systems. However, we will usually use premium grade gasoline unless the owner requests otherwise. For systems equipped with a fill pipe that extends into a vapor space. The capacity will be determined by filling the system to the bottom of the fill pipe, unless the system has been modified in some manner to permit a fill rate in excess of 1.0 gallons per minute above the bottom of the fill pipe.

The volume of liquid required to fill the system will be calculated based on the weight of the liquid required to fill the tank and the density of that liquid. For example, using gasoline with a density of 6.180 pounds per gallon, if the weight of gasoline required to fill the system is 30.90 pounds, the capacity of the system is 5.00 gallons (30.90/6.180). The weight of liquid required to fill the system shall be determined by one or more measurements of containers before and after their contents have been poured into the fuel system. The containers shall contain at least 3.0 gallons during the "before" measurement. The contents shall be poured into the fuel system until the container is empty or until the fuel system is full, whichever occurs first. The temperature of the liquid poured into the system shall be kept as close as possible to the temperature used to determine the density of the liquid, as described below. When gasoline is used, it must be from the same batch of gasoline used to determine fuel density. The scale used to measure the weight of liquid dispensed shall be repeatable to 0.01 pounds and calibrated with an NIST-traceable dead weight.

Looks like you could extend the fill neck to the proper level and use the extra space as vapour/ expansion volume.

Having seen a guy try to show up to an IBR with a fuel cell/tank combination knowingly in excess of the 11.5 total.......well I'd opt for the 4 gallon option dude and save yourself the frustration. If that extra .9 gallons is that important to you it would be an easier route for you to go custom. How would you unequivocably convince the inspectors and all your fellow competitors that there would be zero risk of you removing any blocks during a rally?

I also know that they absolutely can measure to the hundredth of a gallon using this weighing method. I saw 11.47 and 11.49 gallons at the '05 IBR. 11.5 is 11.50 or less...not 11.6.

Since Warchild is one of the IBA tech guy's I guess I am throwing this at you :) ....
Er.... not just "one of".... :blink: I am the Chief Technical Inspector for the Iron Butt Association! :D

he stock fuel tank is 6.6, plus a aux fuel cell of 5 gallons total 11.6. One 10th over the legal limit. If I put something inside the 5 gallon fuel cell to take the space of a 10th or 2 would this be allowed?? Also once it is approved at a rally is it good forever?? Or does it have to be checked each time...
Not a good idea. If any FJR pulls up to the Start Line with a 5-gallon cell on the back end, they will get an awful, awful lot of scrutiny. It is good headwork on the part of the rally entrant to NOT draw attention to yourself to anyone on the Tech Inspection team..... ;)

If you pull up with a 5-gallon cell, I will be forced to have Tom Austin perform one of his brutal Gas Volume Capacity tests on you. With an appropriately-sized, non-removable volume-displacement device in your cell, he may well indeed find you under the 11.5 gallon limit. But while he is doing so, he will have ample time to go over your bike with a fine-tooth comb. Hope everything is in your bike is in order... or he's likely to find it.

Catching my drift here....? :huh:

Re: Aux cell Rules. These change quite often... we have new requirements this year, in fact. NEVER assume a rule is good forever....

Thanks for the heads up... Thats why I am in the "planning stage". I see that Skyway just made a post about a fuel cell. If his deal does not work out I will go with the 4 gal. cell or just build a custom cell myself.

When will the "new rules be posted?"

Thanks guys for the input..... Smitty

When will the "new rules be posted?"
When Lisa posts them to the 2007 IBR entrants....
:assassin: Rut-row
Oh, they're not any big deal..... they are just easy, common sense things.

Like...... pillion/aft rack-mounted cells need to incorporate anti-slosh foam or anti-slosh internal baffles.... containers need a static ground wire from the cell to the bike frame.... no vented caps will serve as the primary vent....

That's about the only new items. So, it ain't a big screaming change from previous years....
shrug.gif

From the NASCAR "It Ain't Cheating Unless You Get Caught" files here's an alternative:

Seal up the frame or swing arm and hide fuel in there. It worked for Junior Johnson and Daryl Waltrip in a stock car's roll cage.......until they went through tech inspection.

The inspectors disconnected the fuel cell and the car kept running.....and running....and running.

IBA Note: This is sarcasm.