LD-riding in 20F-40F weather gear-

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Did a search, didn't see much on forum discussing cold weather gear.

I'll be testing some ski pants overpants this week. Wearing it over armor; and may install armor in the pants too later on.

I think they are waterproof and windproof, not a skiier so I don't know.

Anyone have any experience using this type of ski-pant gear for riding hundreds of miles in cold temps?

Anyone uses UnderArmor Cold gear as a base layer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode Klym snowmobile bibs and jacket (with mesh underneath) for several years and even have a set of electric leg chaps. But the chaps are PITA to put on quickly and the bibs made routing electric cables and pocket access difficult.

I found it was more important to keep my core warm with an electric vest and gloves. A warm torso then seems to keep my legs warm with a standard set of Aerostich motorcycle pants acting as a windbreaker. Add fleece bottoms, a good set of socks, a taller windshield, and V-Strom handguards and I'm good down to 20 degrees for extended rides.

I found it was more important to keep my core warm with an electric vest and gloves. A warm torso then seems to keep my legs warm with a standard set of Aerostich motorcycle pants acting as a windbreaker. Add fleece bottoms, a good set of socks, a taller windshield, and V-Strom handguards and I'm good down to 20 degrees for extended rides.
+1

I run an electric vest ('Stitch but possibly a Gerbing for Xmas). I've found that if I simply put on my Sterns rain pants ($10 at Academy) they cut the wind to the extent that I'm good to go down to abut 30F. Maintain your core temp and you should be fine.

When I am making long rides and the temps are below 40° I wear wicking shorts (UnderArmour, LDComfort, etc), polypropylene long-johns, and wicking pants under First Gear HT II Overpants w/ liner. A little bulkier than I like, and not quite as warm as electrics, but suitable for all my riding so far - 19,500 miles since September '08.

I'll add to the core recommendation. Keep your torso warm with good fleece and electrics. Under my Aerostich Darian pants I have gone with heavy fleece pants and good long underwear if needed. One thing I would add is a good, warm sock system. A wicking sock covered by a warm wool or similar idea to keeep from having your feet rob the heat makes for a much more comfortable ride. I regularly depend on my heated vest or full liner and my (yamaha) heated grips.

mr.paul from Minnesota

With an electric liner (keeping the core warm) I only have ever worn gauchies, jeans and my Tourmaster Air Calibers (MESH!) with both liners in (Rain/Wind & Quilt). Theirs enough coverage on the FJR that I never felt the need for long underwear or electric pants.

I think once I noticed that my knees were cool. Once. That was on a 400km trip @ 38F. Most likely due to the armor pressing on my knees than the cold.

Come to think of it, despite riding several thousand km this fall in sub 40F temps, I only ever turned my electric liner on for a little blast of heat. I've never just 'left it on'. Even on low, the Tourmaster liner will BAKE you.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy myself a pair of heated gloves for Xmas. Thats the only part of me that regularly gets cold.

obviously cold weather armored jacket and pants with all liners in.

then up top I wear hiker's wooly long underwear, a cheap fruit of da loom sweatsheet, then a fleece pull over, and baclava.

below I wear LD comfort longs, hiker's wooly long underwear, and maybe a sweatsuit bottom.

coconut sox, merino hunter's wool sox, and SIDI waterproof boots.

have some tourmaster winter gloves and if real cold, polypropelene and or silk glove liners.

the hiker's long underwear are not cheap but are these which wick and prevent bacteria induced smelly

IceBreakers BodyFit 260's

Don't know about long distance yet or for that matter cold as it's still way above average here but, Thanks to some fine folks here :good: I'm going to give this a shot.....

31aOfQI5cUL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

:jester:

I use the Under Armour cold gear as a base. I wear the Cycleport Kevlar mesh pants and the Under Armour. On really cold days I will slip on some polypropes over the Under Armour. I rode last year on some single digit days and was comfortable.

I wear Joe Rocket Alter-Ego pants year round. earlier this fall I rode down to Carlsbad, NM I left in 23* weather and it didn't break the freezing mark for several hours. I had on a pair of UnderArmor boxer briefs and fleece sweatpants under the JR's. They came with a zip in waterproof liner that I did NOT have in and I was comfy. The tops of my thighs got a bit chilly, but not even enought to consider looking for a fix beyond "I guess I could have put in the liner"

I was very thankful for the Gerbing heated liner though! I only own a TM Intake mesh jacket (with rain liner in) so I had that baby cranked almost all the way up! The only thing that got cold on me was my hands.

I have Scorpion "Deuce" riding pants, which are mesh with armour. When the liner is in they're wind and water proof. I just put some pacific northwest miles in with LD Comfort riding tights under them, as well as a heated vest for my core, and was so very comfortable. I'm not sure what temps I braved, but there was snow beside the road at one point and lots of wind and rain the rest.

The only part of me that ever got cold was my finger tips. The "waterproof gloves" that I started with, weren't! But I found a Yamaha shop in North Bend, Oregon that hooked me up with a pair of textile gloves by Shift that did a great job the rest of the way!

When you find the right gear make sure its waterproof "before" you go for a ride. All the warmth won't do you any good if its wet. And some so-called water-proof gear and boots are not what they advertize and can ruin a good trip or just make one plain miserable. And I really hate carring any extra rain gear. You can get all suited up and have the wife or one of the kids hose you down with a water hose before you leave out. They may really enjoy doing that.....just be safe on the ride. PM. <>< ;)

I purchased a pair of LD Riding Tights and a baclava along with electric gloves, electric socks, electric pants liner, and electric jacket liner. I wore the LDs as a base, electric pants liner, then my waterproof textile riding pants. I a wore long sleeve t-shirt, electric jacket liner, then my waterproof textile jacket. I never wore the electric socks. I don't think it would ever get cold enough to need them, as long as you wear the appropiate socks and boots. I'm hoping its not to late to return them. I did need and use the jacket liner and gloves, but; I never turned on the electric pants liner. The riding tights really help keep the wind and cold off your legs. I purchased them from Cozy Winters the Warm Gear brand. They were almost $200 cheaper for everything I purchased and required less amps to run. I never thought that I could be so warm on a bike, while in cold weather. I didn't know what to expect while riding in Utah and Colorado on my trip so I over bought. I did use the Yamaha heated grips though. Hope this info helps.