LD-riding in 20F-40F weather gear-

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to give this a shot.....

lewinskydress.jpg
Sorry. My mind wandered. What were we talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
no electric gear here.

2 polyish underwear layers then regular clothes and Olympia air glide 2 jacket and pants. Hand are summer riding gloves with a thinsulate winter glove over top...XXXL. Under the helmet, I use a balaclava and neck gaiter. Add a wind breaker pants and jacket as necessary to stay toasty warm down to the low 20s.

I found it was more important to keep my core warm with an electric vest and gloves. A warm torso then seems to keep my legs warm with a standard set of Aerostich motorcycle pants acting as a windbreaker. Add fleece bottoms, a good set of socks, a taller windshield, and V-Strom handguards and I'm good down to 20 degrees for extended rides.
+2

For me it's REI heavy fleece pants under Aerostich Darien pants, Gerbing jacket liner over a long-sleeve LDComfort shirt then covered with a sweatshirt covered again with an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket. Add in First Gear Carbon heated (and waterproof) gloves and I'm good to about 30deg. Tomorrow morning for a ride up to Seattle, when it's supposed to be in the low 20's, I'm going to try out some Little Hotties Adhesive Toe Warmers I found at Costco. One stuck on the top of each foot should help keep my tootsies warm when they're hanging down off the pegs. Tomorrow will be my first try with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a search, didn't see much on forum discussing cold weather gear.
I'll be testing some ski pants overpants this week. Wearing it over armor; and may install armor in the pants too later on.

I think they are waterproof and windproof, not a skiier so I don't know.

Anyone have any experience using this type of ski-pant gear for riding hundreds of miles in cold temps?

Anyone uses UnderArmor Cold gear as a base layer?

Did a search, didn't see much on forum discussing cold weather gear.
I'll be testing some ski pants overpants this week. Wearing it over armor; and may install armor in the pants too later on.

I think they are waterproof and windproof, not a skiier so I don't know.

Anyone have any experience using this type of ski-pant gear for riding hundreds of miles in cold temps?

Anyone uses UnderArmor Cold gear as a base layer?
My ole lady and I got all the UA cold gear for a trip to alaska last summer-turned out to be warmer than home in Rochester NY, but we found the warmest stuff is a polartec pants under lined jeans (Dickies)

For me it's REI heavy fleece pants under Aerostich Darien pants, Gerbing jacket liner over a long-sleeve LDComfort shirt then covered with a sweatshirt covered again with an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket. Add in First Gear Carbon heated (and waterproof) gloves and I'm good to about 30deg. Tomorrow morning for a ride up to Seattle, when it's supposed to be in the low 20's, I'm going to try out some Little Hotties Adhesive Toe Warmers I found at Costco. One stuck on the top of each foot should help keep my tootsies warm when they're hanging down off the pegs. Tomorrow will be my first try with them.

LDryder, How did those Little Hotties Toe warmers work out. I saw them last week, did not know they existed. Curious as to do they work and how long will they work.

Read on another forum where a guy put some in his inner jacket pocket when he got cold. Very interesting. They read on the label that they will last for 4hrs.????