LD Winter riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uctofeej

Master of Random Thought
Reaction score
Assuming the snow doesn't start to fly, I am planning a trip in early December from Louisiana to central Illinois. I'm assuming the temps will be in the 30s most of the way. It's been almost 20 years since I did a long trip in the winter, so I've got some questions about the clothing.

Just picked up a Tourmaster Saber jacket and will get either TM Caliber or Venture pants. If I layer up with the long johns, jeans, a polar mask and a sweatshirt underneath, is that enough to stay reasonably warm for 12 hours at slab speeds? Do I *need* heated garb at that temp for that amount of time? This would probably be the only time I would use it.

I'm sure there are others who ride further than a commute in those temps? Any tips on the clothing would be appreciated.

I think this is a tough call. Everyone deals with hot/cold differently. I've been on rides where I was fine, yet the person I was riding with had their electric vest on high. I've also been the guy reaching for my electric vest before others.

Depending on how long you plan on being exposed to the cold temps, it might be worth it to get the electric gear. Its one thing to be cold for a 30 minute commute to work, and a totally different thing to be cold for 12 hours.

If your set on not buying electrics, I would recommend putting on a rain suit over your riding gear which will help cut down a lot of the wind blast and will help keep you warmer. I would also consider using either fleece undergarments or a wool pullover. I've done some pretty chilly rides (low 40's, light rain, 800 miles) with no electrics before wearing an undershirt, longsleeve shirt, electric vest (just in case I needed it) wool pullover, jacket liner, 3/4 riding jacket and winter gloves for my upper body and jeans, pant liners, First Gear pants, and wool socks for lower body. I felt like the Michelin Man, but I was fairly warm. In hindsight, turning on my electrics and being less bulky would have probably made my ride a little more comfortable.

I've got the same jacket and Joe Rocket ballistic pants. I usually dress in layers when it's that cold. Typically, I do fine except the feet and hands get a bit cold. (Boots are not insulated) Not cold enough to get off the bike, but cold. And this is on an FZ6 with a mere fraction of the wind protection of the FJR. You can do this.

Do you have the hand guards? If so, extra miles for the hands.

Here's my .02 based on recent experience with heated gear.

I have done both; multi-layers /w rain gear to cut the wind, etc, and now a trip with heated gear. I just returned from a going to San Diego from South Carolina. the trip out was via Colorado, Wyoming, & Utah. I purchased and wiring in a heated long sleeve jacket liner from Warm'n'Safe right before I left. With an underarmor type base layer, a cotton long sleeve t-shirt, and the heated liner under my JR Ballistic 6 jacket, I was toasty the entire trip. I rode through temps in the 30's and the only issue I had was with my hands. When it warmed up, I just put the heated liner in the tank bag until I needed it.

I like being able to have less on to stay warm; no more michelin man. If you can swing it, heated gear is the way to go. I'm looking at pant liners now.

wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxygen-activated sore muscle packs. $3 each at most discount drug stores. Temporary substitute rather than purchasing heated gear for one trip. They last 6-8 hours each.

New technology thermal "undies" sold at most Outdoor Supply stores. A bit pricey for the good stuff at around $45 for top and bottom, but well worth the bucks IMHO.

+Gunny on blocking the wind, especially to the hands. Wide shield or hand guards make a huge difference.

Bib-type rain pants that come well past your waist and cover that region often left exposed between the ride pants and the jacket, help tremendously. You can usually pick up some Nelson-Riggs on clearance for around $10.

Think layers, not bulk.

Stop to pee every 90 minutes.

:)

Vector is right, everyone handles the cold differently. Coming from Baton Rouge, it's likely that you won't handle it well and like he said, tolerating it for a little while is very different from trying to endure it for hours on end. Heated gear is fantastic, however, again, coming from Baton Rouge, you're not likely to get a lot of use out of it.

For me, my hands are the weak link. Prior to getting heated gloves (Gerbings), I had difficulty keeping my fingers warm.....even with "winter" riding gloves. The temporary heat packs are a good, inexpensive idea. You can get them to fit gloves, boots (check these out), etc. Buy a few more than you think you'll need. Layers, including traditional rain gear to block wind, is a great idea. I actually bought a pair of fleece-lined jeans that I've used to ride in very cold weather. Don't forget to cover exposed neck and chin areas too.

Whatever you do, think "overkill". Better to have too many layers then be caught with not enough;better to have a few too many than too few heat packs, etc. Hypothermia is a easily contracted condition that is especially dangerous when you're on a bike.

Forgot to add I also wear a Turtle Fur and LOVE it in cold weather. It stops the cold wind from coming in, and really helps to keep your neck and head warm.

I forgot to completely explain the "stop to pee every 90 minutes" thing.

When layered-up for winter riding, you can't wait until you NEED to pee to stop to pee. Your "equipment" runs from cold fingers and the extra time required to get through all those layers and find relief, well, let's just say get it done before you HAVE to!

:)

I routinely ride around here in 20 degree weather (luckily it isn't that cold that often). Here's what I do:

Wickers lovely tighty boxer shorts and mock turtleneck//regular mock TN//regular shirt//jeans//BMW socks, hi. I have the Olympia AST jacket this year, new to me - think I'll start with the above, the AST liner, and of course my turtlefur neck gaitor - best piece of gear for cold wx you can buy! Also have the normal winter/goretex gloves and Oxtar Matrix II boots. I also have the Widder vest and arm chaps, but don't really like to wear them that often. Also have a CB +4+3 windscreen and Dual Star heated grips. And to be honest, I'll ride for 2+ hours if not on a hi speed highway, if on a HSH, I'll stop more often. I actually would rather ride in the winter than the summer - absolutely hate the friggin' summer!

Yours truly,

Frosty

Forgot to add I also wear a Turtle Fur and LOVE it in cold weather. It stops the cold wind from coming in, and really helps to keep your neck and head warm.
Turtle Fur????

Ya know we've done a good job keepin odot quiet lately, however the mention of any type of animal for riding gear is gonna elicit some type of perverse response. :blink:

:jester:

I wear a Sabre jacket and love it but I also wear a heated jacket liner (Gerbing) that lets me go anywhere. When you heat up the torso the rest of the body stays very warm, I used to have cold hands all the time riding in cold weather but not when I wear the heated jacket liner. I have the Gerbing gloves and never use them, beats me. I tried on the Venture overpants and they are very nice. I have a pair of Tourmaster Cortech Overpants that I bought 10 years ago that are nice but I am ready for some new ones.

Thanks for the useful replies. I took away the following:

1) Skin a turtle for its fur :unsure:

2) Pee every hour and a half, but fondle my heated grips first so my stuff doesn't retreat. :scare2:

3) choose between stay-puff marshmallow man look and wearing a heated thong or panty (depending on how I feel that day, I guess) :cold:

Is that an accurate summary?

I just moved to Baton Rouge this summer, so I haven't had enough time to turn into a total winter wuss just yet. Maybe by next year.

I'd ride in speedo's just to show 'em "who's the man." The new-found forum respect will be tremendous. Really. I swear.