Learning All the Time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant77

Reaction score
We are always learning every time we work on our FJRs. I learned that an issue does not always require a total tear down or trip to a Yamaha dealer for an expensive repair. I noticed that my front brake was grabbing after a few miles. I come on the forum to research diagnosis & repair. I found all the information including the tearing down and replacing various brake parts.

I then found something simple. Now this is my second FJR after an 8 year layoff of all bikes. Found a pre-owned 2005 with only 16k miles and beautiful condition. Reading the forum it came to me that a good cleaning may be in order before putting out the money and time for a big repair. Sure enough a can of brake cleaner and some cleaning resolved the problem immediately. Good test ride confirmed the fix and I am a happy camper. Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves to KISS.

With just a little time searching, 99% of our questions can be answered here. Good job on your search and fix! :)

You might want to remove the calipers and check the pistons for crud and/or corrosion. (Extend the pistons and clean them before you push them back - no need to remove the pistons completely) Make sure the seals are still supple. I would use silicone grease to lube the sliders upon reassembly. If you haven't renewed the brake fluid, now is a good time; especially if the previous owner hasn't logged a recent fluid change. (Do the clutch fluid and back brake fluid while you're at it) Clean and lube the rear brake pivot as well as the shifter linkage and pivot! Lube front brake and clutch lever pivots and especially the brass bushing in the clutch lever that engages the clutch.

With only 16,000 miles, it is quite possible that a lot of routine stuff was never done.