Leather pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rammer9460

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on leather pants. By that I mean as riding gear, not the Village People kind :rolleyes: . I've spent quite a bit of time searching this forum and the internet and reading on the subject. What I was wondering was ... Does anyone here have any experience with either of my two choices?

1. Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 perforated leather pants

2. Tourmaster Apex Air perforated leather pants

Both pants are close in features and price. I really don't want to re-start the leather/mesh pants debate. I'm looking for a warm/hot weather pair of pants. I have cold weather gear. I have rain gear that packs small, so the water proof textile vs. perforated leather isn't an issue. I'm planning to take a 4 week vacation this summer and attend the WFO, NV, AZ, CO, WY and SD. In past years temps over 100 were common. I need to pack light.

Any opinions on different perforated leather riding gear would be appreciated

Erik.

I'm interested in any replys you get also,,,, but wanted to add question, do leathers shrink after getting wet? Mainly waist band & inseam.

I have been riding in the Palm Desert CA. area winter and summer for about a year in the Joe Rocket Blaster 2 perforated leather pants and Sonic Perforated leather jacket. They are well made and very serviceable up to about 90 F and then they start to become pretty uncomfortable. In the summer here, it is easy to ride at plus 4000-6000 ft elevation, 75 F, and then drop down to the desert at 300 ft and 107 F and above, a real riding gear challenge. Until this year I have always stayed with the leathers for the protection, hang the discomfort but over 100 F, forget it.

This spring (already with temperatures in the 90s F. ) I have started using the Field Sheer Four Season pants and Hi Temp jacket, outer layer only. The comfort level has gone up about 50- 90%. I'm not sure how much protection has gone down, you'd have to decided for yourself. For me it's worth the extended riding season.

There is a good review of the Field Sheer clothing at WebBikeWorld, including some excellent advise about choosing sizes. They also have reviewed the Joe Rocket items.

I've never been wet in either outfit, not a big worry here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with loanarranger, I find perforated leathers too hot for the summer.

do leathers shrink after getting wet?
My pure leather stuff (cow leather) has been through the rain a few times, and it did not shrink at all.

Thank you Lonearranger and FJRottie for the replys. I may have to rethink going leather on this vacation. The leathers might be ok for use in MN as temps over 95 are not all that common, but then again, when it is 95 here it's close to 80-90% humidity. Mesh might be the way to go.

Thanks again,

Erik

I am going to pick up a pair of these to go with my perf leather and mesh/leather jackets. A little thinner leather than full-on leathers but better than mesh.

BTW my perf leather jacket is only good to about 80 degrees while moving. Above that or stopped and it's sweat'in nads time. :huh:

Shift Havoc pants

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a silly question, but if you are on a multi-day trip in the summer, how do you avoid smelling like a herd of sweaty llamas on the 2nd or 3rd day with the same pants on...

llama1.jpg

Good point. Nice visual.... Last years big trip ended the day after it started, me vs. antelope. I was looking for something that offered a bit more than the 1/2 second protection that the blue jeans I had on last year did. I'm not pretty but I'd rather not get any more road rash. I may have to go with jeans and mesh overpants?

Jeans with mesh overpants are less comfortable than perforated leather. Trust me on that, BTDT and I live in Texas. Denim is made from cotton, and cotton absorbs sweat and stays wet. It's a bad thing.

I have the Tourmaster apex air leathers. They are a decent value, but leather pants are pretty much leather pants. They vent well enough that I get cold below ~60F. You can put on rain pants to shut down the ventilation in cooler temperatures. I find comfort is OK up to about 90F.

I'd recommend vented leathers for your trip, for the best protection and comfort. Pack a pair of jeans to wear for short rides to dinner and such.

- JimY

After 10 years of leather here's my opinion. When it's hot their hot. When it's cold their cold. When it rains you get wet. Their always heavy. When I got my 05 I also got new First Gear fabric gear. Absolutly the best farkle ever. Sold the leather and never missed it.

Phil

Hey thanks guys. I guess everyone has their own different opinion. I suppose I'll have to try out a few things for my self and see how it goes. Again, thank you.

Erik