Leather verses Vinyl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maasja

Reaction score
I was searching through the forum and couldn't find information on leather verse vinyl for seat coverings.

I am looking to have my seat customized and wonder if the extra $175 for leather makes a difference verses the vinyl. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a bit. I don't often get caught in the rain or go out riding when its raining and heard leather is better when it gets wet since it breaths.

Any advice would be much appreciated?

leather definitely breathes more than vinyl, though it does have negatives. If I recall, corbin uses vinyl for the sidewalls and leather for the seat portion of their replacement seats.

However, I can say I've never had any complaints about the Vinyl of the stock FJR seat. very grippy.

Of course the "breathability" of leather is moot if you are wearing a waterproof riding suit.

Some folk just prefer leather. It's a personal choice with no measurable advantage that I have ever been persuaded of. We are different, it adds to the beauty of life :)

Since we ride in wet / damp conditions 8+ months of the year, I wouldn't even consider leather here. Only way leather could work in the PNWet, is if you're willing to cover it when parked and keep up the treatment and conditioning to maintain the seating surface. Not worth the effort for me...

Just my $.02. YMMV

--G

If you want the least maintenance go with vinyl. It requires the least care in the rainy PNW. Water will only enter the seat material thru the stitching.

If you prefer a cover that breathes and does not trap (what I consider to be considerable) heat go with leather.

You say are a fair weather rider, I would suggest leather, and a rain cover for the seat. You want to keep water off a leather seat as much as you can.

As an aside, if you are going to Riches, my experience was poor. YMMV, but after 3 visits I gave up. When the seat was taken apart elsewhere, there was a gel pad, exactly what I asked not to be used.

-Steve

Like the others said, avoid leather in the PNW. I have vinyl on my RDL seat and it wears well after 30k miles.

Never had any problems whatsoever with my leather covered seat by Rich's in Kingston, Washington. Treated it with Lexol occasionally and that's it. It endured plenty of nasty weather. I will most likely go with Rich again (and leather) when I decide to change the stock seat (the old one went with the bike when I sold it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know this will not adequately answer your question. It is just a note. After 9 years of putting it off, my seat is currently at Russell. I figure I am overdue for a day long saddle. I struggled with that leather/vinyl question every year. Talking to many owners I found you probably buy the leather for aesthetics and that both materials work. Vinyl is probably the toughest and is maintenance free. The wife had a leather Meyer seat on her bike that worked well with jeans but my Aerostich Darien pants slid around on it too much for my comfort. The finish was just too smooth.

After talking extensively with Russell regarding that leather vs. vinyl question, I decided on neither. They also offer Sunbrella, a synthetic canvas used in the awning and camper industry. Their main seat builder used it on his own bike. It should have a little friction plus very little maintenance required and hopefully ride just a bit cooler.

I haven't gotten it back yet, but I am looking forward to giving this third choice a good run. Lots of colors available and I am going to try a charcoal dark grey. Should be getting it back in about a week.

Just don't wait as long as I did getting it done. There are roads to ride out there!

Ok, I know this will not adequately answer your question. It is just a note. After 9 years of putting it off, my seat is currently at Russell. I figure I am overdue for a day long saddle. I struggled with that leather/vinyl question every year. Talking to many owners I found you probably buy the leather for aesthetics and that both materials work. Vinyl is probably the toughest and is maintenance free. The wife had a leather Meyer seat on her bike that worked well with jeans but my Aerostich Darien pants slid around on it too much for my comfort. The finish was just too smooth. After talking extensively with Russell regarding that leather vs. vinyl question, I decided on neither. They also offer Sunbrella, a synthetic canvas used in the awning and camper industry. Their main seat builder used it on his own bike. It should have a little friction plus very little maintenance required and hopefully ride just a bit cooler. I haven't gotten it back yet, but I am looking forward to giving this third choice a good run. Lots of colors available and I am going to try a charcoal dark grey. Should be getting it back in about a week. Just don't wait as long as I did getting it done. There are roads to ride out there!
Get the rain cover to go with it.

I have a Russell seat that has their velour cover. Looks great (well the unworn rear part does, the front is worn out).

The advantage is that it is nice and cool in summer, and warm in winter. You don't slide around on it. That said, it is horrible in rain. It absorbs everything and takes forever to dry out. In rainy weather, especially when parked, it needs a cover to keep it dry. Other than that, it's awesome.

It is due a rebuild now, and when I have it done I'll go back to vinyl.

Living in the Pacific Northwet, my leather Rich's seat has seen it's fair share of rain [200,000+ miles and 3 motorcycles]. Per Rich's instructions, the seat has seen lots of Lexol Leather Conditioner Preservative. The seat is now smooth as a baby's but but still looks and feels good.

If fact, a friend with 2014ES is borrowing the seat for a week run down into California.

Thanks for the input. I am curious now about the gel pad. I am planning to got to Richs in Kingston and they use gel pads. I would think the gel helps even the pressure around the bottom.

Leather feels better. To me. But there are vinyls that are almost indistinguishable from leather by feel.