LED Cornering Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joel S. posted: .... amazing this is 3 pages long.
Not really.
coolsmiley02.gif
After all it is winter for many, some of us don't get to ride more................and post less.

Before this goes to NERT, you folks with the 2016ES and the 2015-16A you may want to purchase the lens covers offered for the pricy LED headlight assembly. Seems to me that would be money well spent. I doubt Y.E.S. will cover damage caused by flying objects.
the 15a has the same headlight you do on your 14, we concluded that a page or 2 ago. it is not led !!

no plans here for a lense cover. mine is covered with a 3m self healing film (along with many other bike parts)

amazing this is 3 pages long.
To clarify, I did not imply my bike or the 15A has LED headlights. What I did imply is the cost to replace the new unit with LED headlights would be well worth protecting with the plastic covers. I do not think 3M film will do you much good if you catch a stone or other object large enough to break a lens.
sure you did !! you said 15-16A , not sure why though. thought we figured this out earlier.

film keeps pitting from happening, any large breaks are covered under insurance.

Before this goes to NERT, you folks with the 2016ES and the 2015-16A you may want to purchase the lens covers offered for the pricy LED headlight assembly. Seems to me that would be money well spent. I doubt Y.E.S. will cover damage caused by flying objects.
the 15a has the same headlight you do on your 14, we concluded that a page or 2 ago. it is not led !!

no plans here for a lense cover. mine is covered with a 3m self healing film (along with many other bike parts)

amazing this is 3 pages long.
To clarify, I did not imply my bike or the 15A has LED headlights. What I did imply is the cost to replace the new unit with LED headlights would be well worth protecting with the plastic covers. I do not think 3M film will do you much good if you catch a stone or other object large enough to break a lens.
sure you did !! you said 15-16A , not sure why though. thought we figured this out earlier.

film keeps pitting from happening, any large breaks are covered under insurance.
Except he was correct. The 2013 and later years have the LED strip around the inside of the bucket, which will cost more than an already costly replacement part. The entire cowling has to be purchased, as the headlamps are not sold individually.

As far as the CeeBailey headlamp protectors, Art is again correct. It doesn't take a huge hit to crack the lense, or put a small star with a hole in the lense. I avoided them for a long time. Then I noticed a small crack, like on a windshield. Don't think mine went through, but that's not something I want to make an insurance claim for, seeing as how a $90 set of covers will save me a $250 deductible. However, you seem set in all you know, and it's your bike and your money. Carry on.

The lights on the 2016 FJR are awesome! I don't feel a need for any additional lighting. Having some extra lights in the corners is nice but it would not effect my decision to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has been covered off somewhere else but I just bought my 2016. In the manual it says the cornering lights will also come on with the high beam. I've tried mine and they don't come on with the high beam (although they cycle upon start-up as designed). Asking because now I'm curious, is this the case with other's or is this just mine? I was thinking it may have been changed do to the motor vehicle act in Canada/USA but not updated in the manual.

I think what they meant was that the cornering lights will still work with high beams when cornering. Do they come on when you are cornering and the high beams are on?

Thanks for the response Fred. That could be what they meant I presume. It's actually described as a "Tip" under the high beam switch explanation. It says "The inside cornering lights come on with the high beam" and that's all it says about it. I just assumed they meant they come on at the same time as the high beam. I haven't actually ridden at night yet (I picked the bike up literally 2 days ago) but will definitely try when I do.

Again, I was just curious. When I read the manual it made sense to me that on low beam the cornering lights came on when cornering… got that. And then when I read they come on with the high beam, that made me think they serve as additional lighting when high beam is selected. That also made sense when I read it because if you hit high beam, you might as well light everything up lol. But if they meant they ALSO work as cornering lights when high beam is activated, it’s just poorly worded. Anyway, I didn’t want to pick apart the manual, I was just asking the question. Does anyone have a 2016/17 that can confirm how theirs operates?