LED Driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Alex's lights, on Gary's mirror brackets and they kick ass! I ran Mulholland Hwy in the dark last night just 'cause I can!

I modified Gary's bracket so the lights mount tighter to the bike. I also bought a dimmer switch from advmonster which also has a relay for high beam. So always on, but dimmed to make me more visible, and they go to full power on high beam!

I have Alex's lights, on Gary's mirror brackets and they kick ass! I ran Mulholland Hwy in the dark last night just 'cause I can!
I modified Gary's bracket so the lights mount tighter to the bike. I also bought a dimmer switch from advmonster which also has a relay for high beam. So always on, but dimmed to make me more visible, and they go to full power on high beam!
Basically the setup I have on my Tiger 800XC. (Not a regular follower here until recently, so didn't see Alex, so bought ADVMonster Model 30s- same basic light.) Dimmed on low beam, full power on high. Does Not Suck.

I had a set on the '04 FJR, with HID BiXenon capsules. Really Did Not Suck.

Are they PHID or PIAA good? Maybe not... but they're not that expensive, either.

I love my LED MotoLights. A little pricey but the caliper mount is the snizzel and the are solid as a rock no burnouts on my set.

Vendor claimed 1040 on advrider https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751838&page=19 post 273. Guess he was off by 40 lumens.
not_i.gif
I will say the order was rec'd quickly and the quality of materials top notch. Coupled with the Sena controller a very adjustable unit. You can check em out here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150154-auxiliary-lights-mondomoto-mm10/

Vendor claimed 1040 over on Adv site

I see that I have somehow managed to post this in the wrong thread. Oops, I'd move it if I could to the what did you do to your FJR today.

Installed my brand, spanking new Russell Day Long seat! Only 18F here today so I've just had a quick sit. I can see I'm up higher and that's going to take some getting used to. Hope I don't have to pull out my platform soled boots from the early '70's!
smile.png

IMG_0069_zps173971e6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed MondoMotos MM10.. very nice quality lights, the housing feels like it's billet.. and they are compact yet very bright. I ordered the driving lights.. with wiring harness and switch, easy to wire.. and the price is very good:

https://mondomotos.com/lighting/led/mm10

I mounted them on the fender bolts on the forks.

If you guys have any trouble with the LED lights just drop me a message. I will exchange them. The issues with failure usually are from moisture or they fail very quickly.

We test each unit on a table for a few minutes, then apply rock protection to the lens before shipping out. I will be taking apart each light on my next large purchase and waterproofing the internals.

Knock on wood my 4 have stood up to 30k miles on the FJR, but my brother put 5 on his 1200GSA and had 2 die on his last AK trip. The issue with both lights was water intrusion. The front is sealed up well, but there is not any sealant on the back side. There could be humidity gathering from the rear.

I also partnered up with Skene Design to provide their kick ass light controllers! I researched for some time before going with Jerry's USA made option. I should have them available at a discount soon.

What about the Piaa 1100 Leds? They are pricer but how is the light focus. I have not seen any write ups on the forum yet on how these lights perform (piaa) Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alex for agreeing to exchange mine. Much appreciated! As for humidity - that might have been the case as the light failed somewhere along the coast. I think I will try to seal the remaining 3 lights on the back side. What would you suggest to use?

If you guys have any trouble with the LED lights just drop me a message. I will exchange them. The issues with failure usually are from moisture or they fail very quickly.
There could be humidity gathering from the rear.

I'm thinking about using some black Silicone Caulk rated for high temperature variations. I will also do a detailed write-up for anyone that already has the light wanting to further protect them. So far we have had about a 5-6% failure rate. That is about 3 times more than the manufacturer was estimating.

I still think for the price/light output they are the best light out there. Not to mention the low power draw.

The Permatex RTV Black gasket sealant might work, but then it will also glue the back side shut, with no chance of ever opening it back up again..

this - exactly

I also partnered up with Skene Design to provide their kick ass light controllers! I researched for some time before going with Jerry's USA made option. I should have them available at a discount soon.
I received the Skene controller today (not from Alex, ordered direct before I knew Alex was going to start selling them at a discount), it really is kick-ass. Now I have the mirror mounted lights set at 20% as an experiment when I want them on without high beam (daytime), it also gives me an option to have them turned off via the controller without high beam (nighttime), but in both cases they go full blast with the high beams.

I also love the alert feature (one has to be blinder than a bat to miss those flashing lights), which activates when I tap the high-beam twice in about a second. I also relayed in the alert feature to the horn button, so if I tap the horn twice in about a second the alert feature kicks in as well.

Love it so far!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vendor claimed 1040 on advrider https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751838&page=19 post 273. Guess he was off by 40 lumens.
not_i.gif
I will say the order was rec'd quickly and the quality of materials top notch. Coupled with the Sena controller a very adjustable unit. You can check em out here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150154-auxiliary-lights-mondomoto-mm10/
Vendor claimed 1040 over on Adv site
Well the chart does say:

"Up to 1040 lm @ 10 W", so you are correct Chiefblueman-san
punk.gif