LED Light bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsonian

Mr. Christmas Pants
Reaction score
So....been doing some research on aftermarket lights, placement, etc. and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Decided to try and see how bad I can mess this up on my own. I've seen the Eyes of God lights years ago, where they were mounted up under the nose of a Gen II. Got me thinking: Hmm...the new fancy schmancy cheapy LED light bars might fit up under there and toss some fair amount of light. Did some searching, did some Google-ing....nothing. So...it's time to tackle this one and see just what I can do. Ordered this off of eBay last week and just got it this weekend. Nothing special, I believe its a 1000 lumen 8" bar. Wanted to do dual 4" but they all were to tall and gave me serious question to clearance issues.

VZM.IMG_20161003_145227_zpsggal6k6b.jpg

So now I'm on to the mounting bracket fabrication. I believe that I can attach it to the fairing stay behind the headlight. it should be lightweight enough and be sturdy enough that it isn't bouncing around. But, time and trial and error will help me figure it out. Rough sketch of the bracket:

IMG_20161004_102405_zpsdx23btxg.jpg

As always, any ideas, critiques, or thoughts on better placement or how to make this work better is greatly appreciated.

Does the fender come within 2" of the fairing? It looks close which has prevented me installing anything there.

I had a friend who mounted a Rotopax above the rear wheel of his Ducati. It worked great in the garage and he did a big write up on it for the Multistada boards, but on the road, the fender smacked the gas can on large bumps....luckily he noticed before the gas can ruptured but the fender was destroyed - a couple more hits and the gas can (and maybe the bike and his butt) would have been toast.

Last edited by a moderator: