LED voltmeter install question. '07 AEW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F8James

Reaction score
Got stranded a couple of times this winter with a dead battery so I'm trying to install a Signal Dynamics LED voltmeter. Should be simple right? I'm trying to find an easy access point to a switched or ignition on circuit. I have removed the small panel behind the glove box o the left to get access to the heated grip wires. I'm unable to identify which is + and -. Is there a diagram available? There may be better places to tap into a circuit. I have installed the twin horns using Randy's harness. I could tap in there somewhere but I'm not sure which wire to use. Any help much appreciated!

The switched circuit that most people use is the one that runs the windshield. Behind the rh panel with the rh headlamp adjuster. Purple wire. You can look it up and find pictures. There is lots of discussion about it. It is the one you disconnect if you want the auto retract disabled. That will give you an easy switched lead. I wouldnt mess with the heated grip wires. Hope this helps. T.

The switched circuit that most people use is the one that runs the windshield. Behind the rh panel with the rh headlamp adjuster. Purple wire. You can look it up and find pictures. There is lots of discussion about it. It is the one you disconnect if you want the auto retract disabled. That will give you an easy switched lead. I wouldnt mess with the heated grip wires. Hope this helps. T.
Thanks for the tip. I'll patch into the the purple wire, which i guess is the +. I suppose the ground can go to any - or the frame.

I just have to figure out how to remove the panel. I'm going at it tomorrow!

Really appreciate you taking the time to assist me!

Fred

Are you hooking the meter up to this switched circuit, or hooking up a relay to turn the meter on? You want the meter right at the battery terminals, tapping a circuit somewhere else may not give actual battery voltage, depending on what else is going on in that circuit.

Are you hooking the meter up to this switched circuit, or hooking up a relay to turn the meter on? You want the meter right at the battery terminals, tapping a circuit somewhere else may not give actual battery voltage, depending on what else is going on in that circuit.
This is to be used for heads up monitoring. I believe any "ignition on" circuit will do. It will work also if I hook it up to the battery but If I hook it up directly to the battery it will drain the battery when the bike is turned off. I actually ended up hooking it up to Randy's horn harness at the relay which is just beside the battery. I think this is a good locaton.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me on this. Hope I can return the favor someday!

FJ

Got stranded a couple of times this winter with a dead battery so I'm trying to install a Signal Dynamics LED voltmeter. Should be simple right? I'm trying to find an easy access point to a switched or ignition on circuit. I have removed the small panel behind the glove box o the left to get access to the heated grip wires. I'm unable to identify which is + and -. Is there a diagram available? There may be better places to tap into a circuit. I have installed the twin horns using Randy's harness. I could tap in there somewhere but I'm not sure which wire to use. Any help much appreciated!
Reply to my own post. Took her out his morning. Temp in the low 40's. Tourmaster Heated vest (on low), Tourmaster Heated Gloves (on medium) and OEM grip warmers on about medium. I couldn't believe the draw from the grip warmers! I was in the green even when idling with gloves and vest but always in the red with any combination with the OEM grip warmers. This probably explains my battery woes this winter.

FJ