Left or Right Mount for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
For those NOT mounting their GPS on the center column, is the left or right easier to use? I have mine on the right and am now thinking the left may be better--less reaching.

For those NOT mounting their GPS on the center column, is the left or right easier to use? I have mine on the right and am now thinking the left may be better--less reaching.
Well, I am left-handed so I find it easier on the left side. Also less reaching while operating the throttle as you mentioned.

-=SF=-

My guess is left, but I'd have to think about it some. At stops, you'd have to make sure you're in neutral to use your left hand... at low speeds, you might be trying to push a button or change a display and have to grab the clutch quickly. On the right, you obviously can't be giving the bike any throttle while touching the display, unless you've got it throttle-locked... freeway riding and such. At stoplights that wouldn't be a problem though.

Guess that's why I put mine in the middle. I can use whichever hand is available at the time (usually the left, but it varies, since I'm naturally righthanded).

I always use my left hand top operate the GPS, but currently reach to the right to do so. I assume it's more important to keep the right hand on the throttle than to have the left available if I need to clutch. If the latter is the case, I won't GPS!

Mine's on the left - if I need to push a button while in motion (I know) I don't have to take my hand off the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is left, but I'd have to think about it some. At stops, you'd have to make sure you're in neutral to use your left hand... at low speeds, you might be trying to push a button or change a display and have to grab the clutch quickly. On the right, you obviously can't be giving the bike any throttle while touching the display, unless you've got it throttle-locked... freeway riding and such. At stoplights that wouldn't be a problem though.
Guess that's why I put mine in the middle. I can use whichever hand is available at the time (usually the left, but it varies, since I'm naturally righthanded).
Groo,

How did you mount your GPS in the center?

Best Regards,

Shane

QDQSC-441702b5c1cc6.jpg

Here's a pretty slick installation (if I say so myself) of a TomTom Rider on a StemStand.

The holes on the factory-supplied cradle don't match the ones on the StemStand (come on, in real life they never would.. :rolleyes: ) but the installation was completed in a cordless-drill second.

The GPS does not obstruct the view of the instrument panel (rider's height 5'11') and you can still access the ignition key without a problem.

Stef

Shane, I ordered a stem nut from Tech Mount and drilled it and tapped it for 1/4-20. Got a Ram ball from cycle gadgets and now its easy to move the GPS from one bike to the other using the Ram mount.
Rick
I like that solution since I already have Ram mounting stuff. Got a web site for ordering the stem nut?

Also, I swear I saw pictures of that just a couple of weeks ago, but now I can't find them...