Legal Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you've got any cause to be p'o'ed at the dealer yet.
Wait until you see if they can get the warranty issue straightened out.

You got a new bike. The price was right. Give them a chance to make things good.

You know, if they have a decent service department, and if you use them and try to develop a relationship with them, you may end up with better warranty treatment anyway.

A lot of what appears on this board presents an adversarial relationship between dealers and owners. It is actually possible to find good dealers out there, and when you do find them, if you don't support them, you should expect them to go out of business.

I'll probably get hammered for the contrarian view, but buyers who base all their decisions on price and "the deal" shouldn't be too surprised that there are dealers out there who base all of their decisions on short term profit.

My experience is that most of the time its worth spending some time to cultivate a good relationship with a dealer.... although my experience also shows that this is not always possible. Its always worth a shot, but sometimes you have to cut your losses and try another dealer more worthy of cultivation.
Agreed, plus I'd add that it's also a good idea to cultivate a good relationship with the shop guys, particularly the shop manager. Once the sale is finalized and you're done with the paperwork, you're going to be dealing with the shop guys more than with the dealer.

I had this issue come up on an 05. To get the 05 the dealer had to have a purchaser. In this case they had their service manager put his name on the deposit. The bike was new as in it had never been riden, but when they sold the bike to a real person they found out the warrantee had been running and they only had 9 months on the original year.
The dealer was not trying to cheat anyone. The resolve on this was for the dealer to deliver the extended yes warrantee for a lesser cost.

Everyone was ok with the result.

Work intelligently with your dealer to see what they can do either with Yamaha or on the extended warrantee.

Don't let it impact the quality of your ride.
This is a completely different situation. If you got a new 2005 without pre-ordering it, you were not following Yamaha's rules. The dealer was also not following the rules by ordering the bike without a buyer. There is tit for tat here. You got a bike without having to put down a deposit and waiting several months. The dealer, by not following the rules was actually doing you a favor by having a bike for you. Your option, if you didn't like that the warranty had already started was to wait until the next model year and order a bike under the pre-order program.

It is a completely different situation when there is no pre-order deal, and the dealer sells a bike as brand new in the crate, and then the customer finds out the warranty already started.

I had this issue come up on an 05. To get the 05 the dealer had to have a purchaser. In this case they had their service manager put his name on the deposit. The bike was new as in it had never been riden, but when they sold the bike to a real person they found out the warrantee had been running and they only had 9 months on the original year.
The dealer was not trying to cheat anyone. The resolve on this was for the dealer to deliver the extended yes warrantee for a lesser cost.

Everyone was ok with the result.

Work intelligently with your dealer to see what they can do either with Yamaha or on the extended warrantee.

Don't let it impact the quality of your ride.
This is a completely different situation. If you got a new 2005 without pre-ordering it, you were not following Yamaha's rules. The dealer was also not following the rules by ordering the bike without a buyer. There is tit for tat here. You got a bike without having to put down a deposit and waiting several months. The dealer, by not following the rules was actually doing you a favor by having a bike for you. Your option, if you didn't like that the warranty had already started was to wait until the next model year and order a bike under the pre-order program.

It is a completely different situation when there is no pre-order deal, and the dealer sells a bike as brand new in the crate, and then the customer finds out the warranty already started.
Good point.

Having dealt with local and corporate I can say that warranty issues are kicked up to Corp no matter what unless you band aid them (IE: deal on an extended). the dealer has no authority to change anything nor much (any) pull I have learned. You will spend MUCH more in legal fees if you involve a lawyer than if you get a $400 4 year extended, (can be had for that, search around. That makes your 9 months prorated to around $75 over 5 years.

Is $75 worth the heartburn? :unsure: Can't find a lawyer to give you an hour for $75. :angry2: If they give in, great, but don't fret over $75 with a $13K bike. Plus it takes MONTHS to get a corporate decision. :angry2: You may be out of warrantee before they agree or not.

My 2 cents, from experience, hope it helps.