Less Expensive Alternative To Kermit Chair?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kermit chair design is very sturdy and works well. I wish they'd execute the wood parts in titanium though, it would weigh about 1 pound and still be strong. I don't think it would be any more expensive.

I've got a Kermit, friends and family have the Helinox.

The Helinox wins in every category (price, weight, packed size) except comfort. The Kermit chair has a slight advantage in that it is more comfortable. For overweight sitters .. the comfort advantage increases.

If I didn't already have the Kermit I'd get the Helinox. It fits in a sidecase fer crying out loud!

We just got the BIG AGNES HELINOX CHAIR From EASTERN MOUNTAIN SPORTS

Item #20077986 PRICE: $99.95

Sorry for the caps; I just copied and pasted from their website.

Love these chairs. We waited till they had a sale and ended up getting them for like half the price.

Isn't comfort the whole point of a motorcycle chair? I mean, if two chairs are side by side, both pretty portable, one being more portable but the other being more comfortable, doesn't the comfortable chair win every time?

I get price is an issue, but we just spent $10k plus on our rides and farkles.

I tried the Helinox/Joey chairs, and while they were ok, they were not in the same comfort league as the Kermit, especially if you tip the scales over 200lbs. Cheaper to be sure, and smaller too. I'll spend a bit more for the comfort.

I will say that the REI aliner chair is made for waifish supermodels or small boys. Does anyone test these things in the real world?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't comfort the whole point of a motorcycle chair? I mean, if two chairs are side by side, both pretty portable, one being more portable but the other being more comfortable, doesn't the comfortable chair win every time?
Depends on how much more comfortable, vs. how much more portable. The helinox is small and light enough that I'd even consider throwing in my backpack for hiking.

I get price is an issue, but we just spent $10k plus on our rides and farkles.
I tried the Helinox/Joey chairs, and while they were ok, they were not in the same comfort league as the Kermit, especially if you tip the scales over 200lbs. Cheaper to be sure, and smaller too. I'll spend a bit more for the comfort.
I'm usually within 2 pounds of 200. Thankfully there different chairs for different body shapes.

Two helonix's for me, looks like the joey chair. But I've never seen one of them to compare.

The helinox is awesome can almost fit under the rear seat, and can fit in a large tank bag. Takes 20 sec to put together. I added dollar store dog fetching mini tennis balls to the foot ends so it doesn't sink on soft ground. Still fits in the bag with the feet left on.
smile.png

Two helonix's for me, looks like the joey chair. But I've never seen one of them to compare.
The helinox is awesome can almost fit under the rear seat, and can fit in a large tank bag. Takes 20 sec to put together. I added dollar store dog fetching mini tennis balls to the foot ends so it doesn't sink on soft ground. Still fits in the bag with the feet left on.
smile.png
If someone was a bit smaller, could they fit on just one?

smile.png
If someone was a bit smaller, could they fit on just one?
I'm 175.. however there's a guy on the ADV forum who i believe is 260, owns one and showed pics of him sitting in it.