Lesson Learned

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2 biggest accidents I have had were down to tyres, first was because of a crap tyre I asked too much of, the other was tyre warmers that hadn't worked on a track day. An electrical fault which I discovered before I went out and decided to warm the tyres the old fashioned way with a few easy laps. 2 Fast guys went past me and I thought I can hang on to them if I am careful, next thing I remember was looking at a hospital ceiling 3 hours later. So both my fault if you like, but also both due to a traction problem.

The Mrs. & I also survived (don't ask me how) a 90mph rear puncture on a busy motorway. Scared the bejesus out of me, the tyre was completely flat when we rolled to a stop.

Tyres are soooooo critical to the handling and safety of your bike. I am paranoid now. Since the puncture, I have a substance (who's name I forget) pumped in to prevent punctures causing a quick deflate, and check pressures every time I ride. I have a dial gague at home and a digital which I take with me when we go away for any length of time, I sometimes do a back to back comparison with them as well.

Stay safe ALWAYS check pressures and inspect for foriegn bodies at least every other ride.

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend, we took Scab for a visit to his high-pressure get-off spot. You could see the ghost of an 05 floating along the roadside.
Robin, very glad you caught the error. I would tend to characterize the lesson as "when it doesn't seem right, assume it's not!". Any gauge can give bad readings. I certainly agree and understand the logic for purchasing a quality analog. But assuming that it's always right because it's analog could easily put you in the same situation again.

My advice is that if you check the pressure and it doesn't seem right, something doesn't make sense, grab another gauge and compare the two.

I have a digital gauge that does the same thing when you press the button a second time. I've developed a habit of pressing the button once and then never pushing it again unless the gauge does the auto shutoff. But you can bet that if I get a funky reading from it, I'll grab another one for a second opinion.

Glad your ride comfort is coming back. You need to come east and play in my backyard next.
I got track day coming up on the 27th here a miller sportspark. Perhaps you should come play here.... Kenra and I want to get outta town but we are waiting for more beans in the jar right now. Construction came to a screaching halt and is just now picking up. Good thing I paid for my trackday in advance hehe....

Cdog,
I'm beggin ya, ride over to my house. I have a brand new in the wrapper Accutire digital (in PSIG) gauge for you, very accurate as my gift to you.

Good to see you last month for dinner!

Hope all is well-
Lake........ Wasssuuuuuppppp

Yes. I enjoyed that evening very much. I am going to go buy a analog guage but I appreciate the offer tremedously....

Hey, did you say you had an extra set of front Rotors for an FJR. I think mine are warped and need to be changed. Let me know. I will give you some home-made beer for them :rolleyes:

Cdog,

Ya I have a set of rotors, probaly have around 1500 miles on them and look to be in great shape.

Consider them your's, I'll even throw in a free pressure gauge! :p

Pm me if don't have my phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being something of an applied statistician, I can throw in some technical background. Any measurement process has some degree of error. If one takes multiple measurements of something (tire pressure) with a given gage, a distribution of measurements result (assuming the gage has sufficient resolution). Accuracy is the difference between the average of the measurement error distribution and the true value of the specimen measured. The precision of the measurement process refers to the spread of the measurement error distribution.

The only way to get a "true value" of tire pressure is to measure it multiple times with a gage recently calibrated to a "gold standard" and take the average. The more measurements averaged, the better the chance of getting the true value.

Having said all that, I just use my stick gage and hope for the best!

Being something of an applied statistician, I can throw in some technical background. Any measurement process has some degree of error. If one takes multiple measurements of something (tire pressure) with a given gage, a distribution of measurements result (assuming the gage has sufficient resolution). Accuracy is the difference between the average of the measurement error distribution and the true value of the specimen measured. The precision of the measurement process refers to the spread of the measurement error distribution.
The only way to get a "true value" of tire pressure is to measure it multiple times with a gage recently calibrated to a "gold standard" and take the average. The more measurements averaged, the better the chance of getting the true value.

Having said all that, I just use my stick gage and hope for the best!
As an engineer (not a statistician) I have to disagree. Your "take the average" only works if you have a suitable distribution (might be "normal", might not). In the case of tyre pressure measurement, it is much more likely you will get a low reading than a high one.

I would suggest taking the highest reading of a number of readings, whether digital or analogue.

Personaly, I take a reading, and if I'm sure there's no hissing, I accept it.

This is safe, because if it reads low, I will pump the tyre up and re-check. If too high, I will lower it.

Periodically (that means when I remember, have the time, and can lay my hands on one of my other gauges) I'll check with another gauge just to ensure nothing untoward has happened with the one I usually use.

And your friendly reminder, only check presures when the tyre is cold. Even a mile will warm the tyre enough to raise the pressure, and it's the cold pressure that's important (I'm talking road use here).

A friend of mine is an H-D rider and for X-mas a few years back he gave me a H-D tire gauge.

I giggled to my self because ---well ya know --- it was shiny

The pen style mechanical slider ones - If you know what I mean

I work in an industry that affords me a way to check the calibration every spring and it is always dead on

I also like it because it has a 90deg end.

Some things from the H-D boys are quite good. This is one of them.

Would recommend it to anyone - small,light,accurate

Like a .22-250

Later

Latest posts