License plate LED bulb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
Does anyone know the model number of the license plate bulb for 2007 FJR? And has anyone seen a replacement LED bulb?

Thanks

The owners manual says:

Tail/brake light 12v, 5.0W/21.0W x2 Taking the bulb out you will find is a clear 1157 which is S-8 size, with double contact bayonet base, 27/8.3 Watts

If the bulb is OEM take a gander at the filaments, you will see that they are a heavy duty supported filament bulb (support in the middle of the filament). Regular automotive bulbs @ $1.00 ea are ok as a replacement. If you can look around you will find heavy duty bulbs made for off road use that have thicker filaments so they don't have to be supported. HD bulbs from Dual Star are a very expensive $1.70 ;)

LED: Don't. Secondly, they won't have a favorable light dispersion pattern. Firstly, almost none will fit through the hole on the FJR's tail piece. If they do fit then they probably won't have the uniform brightness that you need for safety from the rear.

(maybe someday I will simply type 1157 with noting before or after it :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm :umnik: umm, well, my Gen I does indeed use the 1157s as the license plate lights. Your superior Gen II uses a 12V 5.0W qty1 license plate light. Since it is already burned out and you won't miss it, just pull the sucker out and take it to an auto parts store and match it up.

My take on a possible LED substitute stands that you won't find one that will fit through the opening in the tail piece. In the car world the bulb socket it locked in place, the lens comes off and the bulb loads from the front. In the FJR, the socket and bulb unlock from the housing and both are extracted from the back. LED replacements are sized for a front load situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 194/168 type bulb. I had some similar to these on eBay laying around so I shoved one in. It's very bright and a pure white:https://www.ebay.com/itm/390432390765