LidPicker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
Got an email from MotorcycleGear, saying they've created a site to help with choosing the perfect helmet, based on size. You take the measurements, send them in (with $10 🙄), and they'll send you a list of all the helmets that fit.

I feel I have a great fitting helmet with the Signet Q, but not really sure. Maybe when it's time for another one I'll try this.

https://www.lidpicker.com

Got an email from MotorcycleGear, saying they've created a site to help with choosing the perfect helmet, based on size. You take the measurements, send them in (with $10 ), and they'll send you a list of all the helmets that fit.
LKLD,

Good luck with that. Might work with maybe a CNC/laser scan of your head, or something like that, but not with a tape measure. Heads are not all the same shape, by a lot. Some people are Eggheads, some are Blockheads, and some are Melonheads. Half of the helmets made will not fit my head comfortably, no matter what the size tag says. For starters, you would have to know which manufacturers cater to the shape of your head, and which ones do not. Riders tend to stay with their same few brands, because some brands just never fit well, for them.

Best of luck there, but I'd expect many refunds to be happening through that web site.

Cheers,

Infrared

Seems like a good idea but from my experience, helmet comfort would be hard to predict with just measurements. Maybe this tool gets you into the right ball park but not to home plate.

I think there are too many other factors that would affect helmet choice such as chin strap placement & ease of use, shield motion, eye port shape, ear pocket location, cheek pad thickness etc, etc. I just bought a new helmet after too many hours reading reviews, rider forums, etc. My research led me to 3 finalists but I could decide until I wore the candidates in the store for a long time and did a side by side comparison of features.

FWIW, I chose the Shoei RF1200. The fit is great, the shield is of very substantial construction and opens and closes nice with solid detents. In use, it is quiet with windshield in any position I normally use. Very happy with my choice.

I also shopped the Arai Signet Q. The fit was perfect. What turned me off was the gimmicky brow vent face shield. I'm sure in practice, it works well. But it seemed flimsy compared to the Shoei face shield. That and it cost $125 more than the Shoei. I tried hard to fit into the Shoei GT Air because of it's purported quietness and airflow. But that internal visor stole too much forehead space from the helmet's inside space. It would have been an issue for me after 30 minutes of riding. I also tried on the Neotec which fit better than the GT air, but was not as comfortable as the RF1200 or Signet Q. If it was I would have bought it. The flip up worked nicely and the internal visor was the best of any I've seen. But that Neotec is physically big and heavy. I'm not sure how that would affect comfort and fatigue after a long day in the saddle.

I was going to write a RF1200 review separately but I guess this thread just drew it out.

Regarding MotorcycleGear.com: i've bought alot of stuff, including two previous helmets from them and they're great to deal with. I hope this tool helps them sell more helmets. I wouldn't have worked for me on my most recent purchase but for many it will. I was happy to give my money to a bricks and mortar establishment that provided the helmets for trying on to make the final decision.

Could help narrow your search, but you still need to get the "feel," and that can only be tested on your head. FJReady posted after I started this, and I agree with all of it. Still, the list would probably help you eliminate a lot of candidates.

The ten cent tape and the 30-cent calipers don't justify the ten bucks, but somebody put the research together. I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

FWIW, I chose the Shoei RF1200. The fit is great, the shield is of very substantial construction and opens and closes nice with solid detents. In use, it is quiet with windshield in any position I normally use. Very happy with my choice.
I was going to write a RF1200 review separately but I guess this thread just drew it out.

Regarding MotorcycleGear.com: i've bought alot of stuff, including two previous helmets from them and they're great to deal with. I hope this tool helps them sell more helmets. I wouldn't have worked for me on my most recent purchase but for many it will. I was happy to give my money to a bricks and mortar establishment that provided the helmets for trying on to make the final decision.
A bit off the topic of "lidpicker" but I did go through MotorcycleGear.com for the purchase of my new RF1200. The staff there was very helpful as I thought I wore a size large, even after trying some on at local shops. Once I received the large one from them, questioned if it was right for me.

Contacted MotorcycleGear.com and they suggested to hold onto the large, order a medium and compare the two side by side, which I did. Found out that I really needed to go with the medium after tech assistance. At first it felt like it would be too snug, even with thinner cheek pads, but they were right & after a few hours of break-in it feels great!

And to add, I went with the Transitions shield and it works very well!!

Last edited by a moderator:
$10 to see if my helmet fits, don't think so. Your head could be long and narrow, or short and wide and still have the same circumference. European heads are shaped differently than heads from North America. It really depends on the helmet manufacturer.