Life After Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just retired at the end of March. I enjoyed my job but I was at it for 35 years and I had lost my enthusiasm. My project moved overseas and I didn't want to start on something new. It is nice having time to do whatever I like, but I miss the challenges and accomplishments I experienced at work and the people I worked with.

I haven't really figured out a routine yet. I have a long list of stuff to do at home that has been growing for the past 35 years, so there is plenty to keep me busy. I also have a 1 year old grandson and he and I enjoy spending time together. Life is good. :)
that sounds just like my situation. 36 years. a company that doesn't want IT staff with a broad skill set (it's easier to swap out the cogs in the machine if they're narrowly focused - a change that happened after IT got moved under finance). a grandson coming up on 1 year old. things that need doing.

Tom: correction - in the shadow of 50 pounds off in the last 5 months. Just like engines... intake and output... I use this and it works (for me - and is free). https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
jealous, I am..... :)
...me too! Is it time yet?!
You're likely a lil closer than I. Life after divorce has set me on the "freedom after I'm dead" financial plan LOLOL
Most depressing thread. Ever. Thanks, Dr. Rich. Now off to the suicide prevention hotline!

(Just kidding)

But two bad decisions have cost me dearly, and I decided to NOT burden you, society, with my financial woes due to *my* idiocy by taking a bankruptcy. My decision, I hold no grief to you if your decision was different.

Yamafitter, I may have a chance to return to the nookie plant, it would be a +30k per year increase. Then again, I would have last pick for vacation time off, work the worst shifts, get the shitty jobs. Is it worth it? I really don't know. Right now, I can pick and choose time off, no one gives a crap if I'm 10 minutes late as long as the work gets done, which it does.

Then again, +30k (base) to +50k a year x 5 years is enough to provide sufficient $$$ to invest and retire comfortably. I'm 55 now.

WWDRD? :p

(What would Dr. Rich Do?)

Yamafitter, I may have a chance to return to the nookie plant, it would be a +30k per year increase. Then again, I would have last pick for vacation time off, work the worst shifts, get the shitty jobs. Is it worth it? I really don't know. Right now, I can pick and choose time off, no one gives a crap if I'm 10 minutes late as long as the work gets done, which it does.

Then again, +30k (base) to +50k a year x 5 years is enough to provide sufficient $$$ to invest and retire comfortably. I'm 55 now.

I dunno Don. Money is one thing, but you can't buy happiness. I did 20+ years of 24/7 plant process work and in the end it just grinds you down. A few years ago, I made the conscious choice to slow the hell down during the final years of my working life. Having a set daily schedule and time off whenever I want it [mostly] is priceless.

Good luck with the decision.

--G

Appreciate it -G.

Money may not buy happiness but all I want is to be frugally comfie, e.g. not wondering where the next 'deposit' is coming from while I want to restore the KZ1300 or what not...

Given a semi-retirement scenario, e.g. working a couple of outages per year (~50k/year) with "unemployment" between, perhaps I should accept, if offered, the nookie position.

The idea of travelling, working 4-6 months / year experiencing new hoods, me likee..

I have a better idea!

You all send me a monthly check for $100/month (or more!) and I'll subscribe you to the dcarver

"What I'm doing with your money web site!"

;)

Appreciate it -G.

Money may not buy happiness but all I want is to be frugally comfie, e.g. not wondering where the next 'deposit' is coming from while I want to restore the KZ1300 or what not...

Given a semi-retirement scenario, e.g. working a couple of outages per year (~50k/year) with "unemployment" between, perhaps I should accept, if offered, the nookie position.

The idea of travelling, working 4-6 months / year experiencing new hoods, me likee..

I have a better idea!

You all send me a monthly check for $100/month (or more!) and I'll subscribe you to the dcarver

;)
Just send me your account info and I will direct deposit it. OK?? :lol:

jealous, I am..... :)
...me too! Is it time yet?!
You're likely a lil closer than I. Life after divorce has set me on the "freedom after I'm dead" financial plan LOLOL
Most depressing thread. Ever. Thanks, Dr. Rich. Now off to the suicide prevention hotline!

(Just kidding)

But two bad decisions have cost me dearly, and I decided to NOT burden you, society, with my financial woes due to *my* idiocy by taking a bankruptcy. My decision, I hold no grief to you if your decision was different.

Don... I can tell you that about four years before we left the workforce, we made a list of the things we wanted in retirement. That list included things like the type of physical environment we wanted, how close to a major airport (so we could travel and visit the kids where ever they lived), safety in the community, having a home without stairs (old people fall a lot), a state that didn't have an income tax, one where the cost of living was less than California, being close to a military base (so we could use benefits) a place that others would want to come to visit, one with a clean environment... etc. etc. After we made that list we focused part of our vacation time on finding a place that had most of those things. We ended up here on Whidbey Island in Washington. I truly believe that once you identify what you want in retirement, it will allow you to visualize what that will look like. For us we wanted back into the country. (we had raised the kids in the country of Arroyo Grande just behind Pismo Beach) What drove us out was the invasion of big money from LA. and SF. I think if you want to stay in Creston, you need to pay off as much as possible and start to simplify life... Remember Thoreau said... Simplify, Simplify Simplify.

The other option is to move in with Old Michael in Citrus Heights. He has a swinging studio pad, a company van to drive and a job that keeps him so busy that he doesn't have time to ride any more. The down size is he is Irish and Beemerdon would likely come to visit!

Since it's Dog Pile Friday here on our Wonderful and Blissful FJR Forum: If I have to listen to anymore of this kissy-face, touchy-feely crap from Carver, Gorgeous George and 'Zilla I'm going to puke and hurl up chunks! As soon as the Phoenix economy returns to 2006 conditions, I'm back to Metro Mechanical kicking ass and taking names! John, Paul, George and Ringo were so right!

Money, by the Beatles.

The best things in life are free

But you can keep them for the birds and bees

Now give me money

That's what I want

That's what I want, yeah

That's what I want

You're lovin' gives me a thrill

But you're lovin' don't pay my bills

Now give me money

That's what I want

That's what I want, yeah

That's what I want

Money don't get everything it's true

What it don't get, I can't use

Now give me money

That's what I want

That's what I want, yeah

That's what I want, wah

Money don't get everything it's true

What it don't get, I can't use

Now give me money

That's what I want

That's what I want, yeah

That's what I want

Well now give me money

A lot of money

Wow, yeah, I wanna be free

Oh I want money

That's what I want

That's what I want, well

Now give me money

A lot of money

Wow, yeah, you need money

now, give me money

That's what I want, yeah

that's what I want

I know that there are quite a few guys on this forum who have retired. I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are about leaving the workforce. I have had several opportunities to go back and consult or work interim positions and I can honestly say it does not appeal to me. Thoughts????
I'm a retiree of nearly 5 years. I was fortunate in a number of ways. I enjoyed my job (electronics design engineer working in aerospace instrumentation). I enjoyed/enjoy my life at home, married to a wonderful woman (or so she tells me
unsure.gif
). And I have a reasonable pension (She has always made sure about our future financial security, I'm now very grateful).

When I told the company I was retiring, they put out adverts for two people to replace me (for the two halves of my experience). They could only find one, so ever since I've been going in for about 2 days a week, or whatever suits the work-load and me. This has many advantages.

• Extra money to go motorcycling (without my better half, not so good) and otherwise unthinkable holidays (with her).
  • Money for farkles (e.g. cruise control) and kit (new boots, heated vest, whatever).
  • Guarantee to ride my bike frequently (even if it's only a 3 mile city commute, anything's better than nothing).
  • Out from under her feet on a fairly regular basis.
  • Neither of us have any guilt feeling spending money when we want something, or want to spend money on the kids or grandkids (grandkid until last week
    smile.gif
    ), with an otherwise fixed income we'd have to consciously save up. I was able to change my '06 FJR for a '10. She wants to change her car? Ok, not a problem, we can afford it. We are still able to put money by into a "car fund" (which I raided for my new FJR
    huh.gif
    , knowing it could be replenished fairly quickly).
  • The work keeps my brain functioning (don't know how quickly it would deteriorate without, but it's not too quickly at the moment
    tongue.gif
    ).
  • The pressure from work is reduced, I need only concentrate on my particular targets, I needn't worry about the larger picture. I'm a nicer person when I return home from work.
  • I still get together with work colleagues that I'd otherwise only see maybe once a year at the Christmas bash the firm does.

Meanwhile, I seem to keep busy (not necessarily doing things I want to do), mostly jobs that have either been put off until I retired, or doing things that we just decide to do, whether it be remodelling the garden or a spur-of-the-moment weekend away somewhere. It's rare I don't know what to do with my time. And we can afford to pay someone to do the jobs I hate doing.

So, in my case, continuing with "consultancy" work is a very good thing, and I intend continuing for as long as the company and I want to do it.

It's the big Seven Oh in August. We'll see how long I can continue to work. And ride my bike.

(Click on image for larger view)

Here you go, taken on the 2nd, 3 years old to the day and 11 hours. Ahhh!

Meanwhile I was in spain.

And, by coincidence, saw this on the same day before I knew!

I retired in 1997 and went back for the winter of 98 and 99 . Was asked back again and said "No" , I am retired and plan on staying that way.

I bought a 1997 R1100RT for my retirement present. 128K miles later I sold it and bought my 07 FJR , I only have 35 K on it. In 2008 I purchased a new Ural Patrol and put about 12K on it and then sold it in 2010.

I don't ride the miles that I used to but still enjoy getting out on the road. Plan on attending a couple of rallys this summer.

Retirement has been everything I hoped it would be, still in good health and still can ride.

Life is good

Mac

I have a better idea!

;)
I would like to oblige you but I'm on a fixed income and my bar tab is the size of the GNP of Kenya.

You guys retired suck :p , got too many years to go yet. :angry:

good food for thought :) Foturnately I have a good wife who plans very well B)

Just hit my 25th anniversery at work. 5 more years and I'll be eligible for retirement. 30 years doing the same gig is plenty for most. Not wishing my life away but I can't wait to get out of the rat race...