Lithium battery experience?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a Shorai in my 2005 KTM 400 EXC two years ago primarily for the weight savings. I haven't noticed the reduced weight as much as I noticed the reduced cold temp cranking performance. When it gives up the ghost completely I'll be going back to an AGM type battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a Shorai in my 2005 KTM 400 EXC two years ago primarily for the weight savings. I haven't noticed the reduced weight as much as I noticed the reduced cold temp cranking performance. When it gives up the ghost completely I'll be going back to an AGM type battery.
Just great. There's a Shorai in my 530EXC, and we're going to Moab in November. If I have to kick start that mo-fo every morning, I'm gonna be irritated. Guess we'll see.

Somewhere back in this thread, I mentioned Shorai uses Pb/eq (lead equivalent) to rate their batteries. The 18 amp Shorai is about 5.8 amps actual. That is the problem. To get enough amps in a Shorai LiFePO4 battery in cold weather, you need to get the 32 amp version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just great. There's a Shorai in my 530EXC, and we're going to Moab in November. If I have to kick start that mo-fo every morning, I'm gonna be irritated. Guess we'll see.
Most times I make it ok, good luck to you. Park on hill whenever you can !