Little of dis, little of dat -FJR meet up Sierra Nevada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Met up for a bit of the ride that Rich put together here

Some good fun

...then did a little jaunt to make dinner reservations --the long way home.

A few pics and two things you'll learn

[SIZE=14pt]on this simple ride report (clicky)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Edit[/SIZE], fixed link DOH!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome ride report! Loved the 914 pics!

How long was that loop in miles and time?

... and weird sh1t happens at Pyramid Lake you say? Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me....... ;)

Way cool pics, RJ !

I had a 1970 914-6 when I met the boss lady in 1977 - and after we married, it managed to suck in the #6 intake valve. Something about red line, etc.....

I spent the next 3 years restoring it. Sold it in 1982, used the money for the down on our first home.

Fun machine to drive.

Sweet!

One of these days, I have to move west. Or at least visit again.
cool.gif

-Uwe-

Awesome ride report! Loved the 914 pics!
How long was that loop in miles and time?

... and weird sh1t happens at Pyramid Lake you say? Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me....... ;)
Only about 350miles --good part of the day because much of the time was spent socializing and at Gen2 speeds. Latter part of the trip was at Gen1 speeds though so made up some time.

Good stuff RJ. Never seen OM with a little camera. R/D's red FJR is a good looking bike.
OM has lens envy, -and for good reason.Yes, Deb's bike is awesome -unique and an original FJR.

Way cool pics, RJ !
I had a 1970 914-6 when I met the boss lady in 1977 - and after we married, it managed to suck in the #6 intake valve. Something about red line, etc.....

I spent the next 3 years restoring it. Sold it in 1982, used the money for the down on our first home.

Fun machine to drive.
Hal, you would have really appreciated my time with these folks. there were on an annual rally and thoroughly enjoying their cars and the Sierras. I had great fun chasing them and vice vesa -and when we dropped into the valley and traded stories ---well, it was apparent that a great type of folk admire and own these cars.

As I'm sure you'd expect, some of the cars were meticulous with a lot of money and time invested ...other's -weren't quite there yet. As we raced through the tight turns and steep grade -the smell of half-burned fuel, smoking tires and hot brakes filled the air. It was wonderful!!

Sweet!
One of these days, I have to move west. Or at least visit again.
cool.gif

-Uwe-
Yep, ......BTW, do you still have your Strom?

Too cool pics RJ :clapping: Good to see you again Sir .............................. "Sir Reno John" ?? Has a nice ring to it :)
Hey hey hey ...only the Gen2 galz call me Sir

....Please Roger, Gen1 folks such as yourself -it's just "John"

Great seeing you, even better seeing Deb.

A few pics from yesterday:

The Summit of Old Hwy 40, just past Sugar Bowl and Donner Ski Ranch, about to descend toward Donner Lake:

TheSummitofOldHwy40600x450.jpg

At Donner Lake Overlook after losing puppychow and picking up RenoJohn:

AttheDonnerLakeOverlook02600x450.jpg

Judy, Deb, Cyndi and Rog (I-80 is the descending straight slash in the forest off Judy's right shoulder):

ThegirlsandRog600x450.jpg

Descending into Donner Lake on Donner Pass Road (Old Hwy. 40):

DescendingtoDonnerLake600x450.jpg

Highlander on Donner Pass Road along Donner Lake:

HighlanderonDonnerPassRoad600x450.jpg

The Truckee River and adjacent bike path between Truckee and Tahoe City:

TheTruckeeRiver600x450.jpg

On Hwy 28 east from Tahoe City, descending Dollar Hill toward the Lake:

DollarHilldescent600x450.jpg

Two of the Lake of the Sky from Kings Beach (from the large public parking lot next to our food stop):

TahoefromKB600x450.jpg

and

LakeoftheSkyfromKB600x450.jpg

The Usual Suspects gather to stuff their faces at Jason's Landing:

TheUsualSuspects600x450.jpg

Heading east to Income Village, a view across Crystal Bay (deepest part of the Lake is to the right ouside the frame), with Diamond Peak ski runs top right:

CrystalBay600x450.jpg

From a scenic overlook on the east shore:

FromtheEastShore600x450.jpg

Sand Harbor on the east shore:

SandHarbor600x450.jpg

And lastly, a shot of Emerald Bay on our way back up the West Shore:

EmeraldBay05-15-10600x450.jpg

Not sure anyone did, or could, capture what I think is the most spectacular/ethereal Tahoe riding experience even after all these years riding Tahoe's west shore: the ridge between Emerald Bay and Cascade Lake. From either direction on a motorcycle, it makes you feel like you've lifted off and are ascending into the sky. Best if there are no other cars and you can slow way down just to absorb the view and the feeling it gives you (one of those few times I wish I was riding pillion). Everyone's seen pics of Emerald Bay, but if you haven't been there, you don't know that there's a ridge on its southern side that rises steeply from the Bay to the road, and then drops off from the road just as steeply to its south to Cascade Lake, which is fed by a large waterfall from the Velma Lakes to the west. You're on a knife edge between these two bodies of water several hundred feet below, and only on a bike are you sufficiently in touch with the sky to get what I mean. It's stunning.

Little known fact: back in the '60s, there was a plan to put an all weather highway along the west shore, and it would have crossed Emerald Bay via a bridge at its mouth! I knew a civil engineer in South Lake Tahoe who had copies of the official depictions of that plan. Fortunately, it never happened.

Thanks to everyone for making the ride. Great to see some folks I haven't seen in a while and love to ride with, and nice to meet some new folks. In a few weeks, the traffic will turn the part from Donner Lake around Lake Tahoe and back to Donner into a mess. The back way up and back will still be enjoyable, though. :)

Anyone who didn't get enough twisties didn't finish the ride -- some fun on the west shore and then Norton Grade going downhill requires literally throwing a two up pig-HOSS like the FJR around some of those corners, followed by some twistiness on Placer Hills Road. All in all, a minimum of slabbing for the day. :)

Nice post RJ.

Your shots of Monitor Pass look great this time of year. I passed thru Markleville on my bike many years back and down to 395 to Bishop during a nasty heat wave (temps in Bishop that June day 113º, at 4am the next morning leaving Bishop, 78º). That road down is twisty and the elevation drop is like being in an elevator! Fun stuff.

Thanks to everyone for making the ride. Great to see some folks I haven't seen in a while and love to ride with, and nice to meet some new folks.
Anyone who didn't get enough twisties didn't finish the ride -- some fun on the west shore and then Norton Grade going downhill requires literally throwing a two up pig-HOSS like the FJR around some of those corners, followed by some twistiness on Placer Hills Road. All in all, a minimum of slabbing for the day. :)
Thanks much for setting this up, Rich. It was indeed great to see folks I haven't had a chance to see and ride with in a while. And the newbies all seem to be pretty good folks too, although one had an odd-looking FJR (BMW R1200, I believe). Jason's was an excellent choice for lunch and you even had the weather gods smile on the trip.

I WILL be revisiting the twisty bits you showed us at the end of the ride (if I can find my way back to them). It'll be fun to try them when I've had enough sleep the previous week that I can at least fake being coherent.

My story: Lost and Found.

Lost sight of my FJR brethren. Found a great solo adventure.

At the meetup in Auburn. That Red FJR needed some company so along came a Red Beemer...

IMG_3310.jpg

I followed the group till Colfax, then I got stuck behind a truck pulling a boat and missed the Rollins Lake turn, from here starts my solo adventure...

Oh brothers where art thou? I am sure you guys didn't go this way...

IMG_3311.jpg

Maybe this way? (somewhere in or near Alta)

IMG_3312.jpg

Got on to I-80 after Baxter, thinking I will catch'em in Truckee...

IMG_3314.jpg

Blew past Donner Lake overlook. Forgot that's where you guys were stopping for a break. I had my phone on and paired with my GPS the whole time since I got on I-80, I wish I had exchanged numbers with you Rich, if you had called around this time I would have answered. I made my way to Tahoe City and again looked around thinking this is where you might be stopping to eat lunch. At this time I realized I was now on a solo adventure so I continued on...

Somewhere past Tahoe City...

IMG_3319.jpg

Clear open roads to rip it up on...

IMG_3325.jpg

Tunnel shot - I guess RJ and I had the same idea. I beat him to the shot, but he beat me to posting it...

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Heading towards South Lake...

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

Climbing towards Emerald bay, once again not a soul in sight...Hooligan fun on the switchbacks...

IMG_3337.jpg

I couldn't believe this ride-by actually turned out...Emerald Bay...

IMG_3341.jpg

Stopped for these ones and the cagers caught up to me here, but the vista's were worth it (maybe just a little).

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

Another ride-by of Emerald Bay...

IMG_3349.jpg

Back to Tahoe City - circumnavigation complete. Ate lunch at the Evergreen Cafe...

IMG_3353.jpg

Mt. Rose Highway - what a view and what a ride....

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

Wheeeeee.....

IMG_3376.jpg

Is that Gardnerville / Minden? EDIT - Nahh...too far south, me now thinks that is Carson City...

IMG_3379.jpg

I am in Nevada all right...

IMG_3385.jpg

But, it is so greeeeen...

IMG_3391.jpg

Destination of the day Ferntucky... maybe you should have stopped by in the evening RJ, the King had an eminent guest visiting (no, not me).

Sunday's ride back home...

Ain't Nevada grand? Wide open spaces on Alt 95.

IMG_3400.jpg

Entering Walker Canyon...

IMG_3403.jpg

Past Smith Valley...Majestic Sierra's...

IMG_3414.jpg

Took Hwy 88 home, Silver Lake is ummmm Silver....

IMG_3433.jpg

Last shot of the day somewhere past the bumpy early portion of Omo Ranch Road where my rear tank bag strap came loose and on one such bump in the road my tank bag rose and hit the kill switch in a freak incident (I didn't realize that's what had happened till a little later). Some precious and not to be said out aloud thoughts passed through my head about this time...

IMG_3435.jpg

See ya guys again soon!

:clapping: Great pics and report, Sam! :clapping:

Maybe this way? (somewhere in or near Alta)
Well, you're found at this point -- that's Alta Elementary School at the intersection. Not sure how you got there, though. I suspect you missed the cool little way out of the Gold Run dead end. (The road's between the railroad tracks and a cliff -- just above where the hydraulic mining of the late 19th century threatened both the land under today's road and the transcontinental railroad tracks.)

Got on to I-80 after Baxter, thinking I will catch'em in Truckee...
Blew past Donner Lake overlook. Forgot that's where you guys were stopping for a break.
Yeeahbuttt . . . the overlook we were at is on Old Hwy 40 and you were on I-80. You would have to have gotten off at the Soda Springs exit and followed it toward Sugar Bowl and then on toward Donner Lake and Truckee -- maybe a mile past the summit on the Truckee side is the overlook we were talking about. It's just below a scenic bridge (people often walk back up the road to photograph the bridge with Donner Lake in the background). Sorry you missed all that fun back road part from Cisco Grove to Truckee (and the Donner Lake exit Chevron).

I'm glad you still had a great day. In that weather, on those roads without traffic, how can you not?

I couldn't believe this ride-by actually turned out...Emerald Bay...
hehehe -- yeah -- on the ridge between Cascade Lake with the view of the lake and waterfall to your left, Emerald Bay to the right and sky everywhere!

Here's a cc: of what I put in the other thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Who the hell are these people?

IMG_0974.JPG

WTF is wrong with John? We may never know......

IMG_0975.JPG

Oh I know, he's really just a very large and apparently hairy 11 year old...

IMG_0976.jpg

Why is there a BMW in one of my pics?

IMG_1040.JPG

We shoulda stopped and made our donations.

IMG_1100.jpg

This picture would be a lot cooler if we were actually moving.

IMG_1131.JPG

Rest of the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/thomasmchavez/...feat=directlink

Mike is right, it was a great day!

WTF is wrong with John? We may never know......
Whether rhetorical, philosophical or mental....we just don't have enough time to even consider all the options an answer would be. :dribble:

Hugs and kisses, John. ;) :****:
Mike, I know you don't do what I just did to your post.. :lol:

but in honor of Tim,

I just HAD to! :yahoo:

Judy, Deb, Cyndi and Rog (I-80 is the descending straight slash in the forest off Judy's right shoulder):
Gee! You weren't kidding when you said I was on I-80 and had a very slim to no chance of seeing you or finding you at Donner Overlook.

I WILL be revisiting the twisty bits you showed us at the end of the ride (if I can find my way back to them). It'll be fun to try them when I've had enough sleep the previous week that I can at least fake being coherent.
Let me know if you do this, if I've got time I wouldn't mind taggin along.

And if I had known ahead of time, I coulda put Carver up. Of course, I would have had to use a Costco size bottle of Comet and a pallet of Magic Erasers to remove the scum ring from my guest shower after he left...

Wow!

What a great looking adventure outing from all of the pics.

Some beautiful pics showing some beautiful scenery...thanks guys.