Loaning your bike.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell him to rent a convertible mustang or similar.. the daughter would appreciate that way more after the first 100 miles or so.
Absolutely!

1.) They'd still have a father-daughter trip to remember.

2.) This trip would be unique as opposed to the same mode as her sister's (important dynamic in some families).

3.) She might drive some of the time.

4.) In a car they'd have more opportunity to verbally share what they were seeing, discuss times to stop for meals or possible side trips.

5.) Top down....feel the air. When it's hot...top up, A/C on!

6.) Car rental will be cheaper than the $20,000 deposit to use your bike.

7.) I'm guessing the insurance will be cheaper than the rider on his insurance policy you would require to protect your bike and assets (just "in case").

I friend of mine asked me if I loan out my bike. I figured a day trip somewhere, maybe a weekend at best, but nothing too big. He said he'd like to ride it 2 up from OK to CA which is a much different request than I expected. It's a trip with him and his 18 year old daughter for her HS graduation.
I picked up the '07 in Jan '10 and have 3400 miles on it now, the farthest trip I've taken on it is about a 2 hour ride one way. I'm undecided on my answer. If anything happens to the bike, he'll take care of it, no issue there. The bike has no cruise, stock seat and only the two stock cases on each side. I would think it would be an awful tough ride for a guy (2 up) that has ridden a bike maybe 3 or 4 times so far this year....

Thoughts?
I'd tell him to go buy his own bike.

What kind of a friend puts you in that position?

I have a good riding friend of mine that has a HD. Before anyone judges, that is whence I came, and he has - many - IBA certs that includes SS1K's, BBG's, a 50CC, and this summer will be doing a 4 corners run(no ralley exp., me neither), and something like 90K+ miles on an '07 full dresser (UltraClassic).

He's at the point with that bike that he needs to make a decision to keep or move on, and between me converting to a FJR, a couple of other LD friends that have GoldWings, and others that have still more selection of non-HD bikes, he's thinking of the alternatives.

I told him to come take my bike - I can't ride now anyway due to a - 2nd - shoulder surgery - and ride it some, for like a couple hundred miles (good afternoon run). I know that when I was looking to "convert", I test rode something like 14 bikes as demos, but it's danged hard to get the feel of something in a short, supervised, run like that.

So, I'd like to offer him more. My bike is getting pretty well farkled out, so it's a better example of what it can be vs a pure stock one. Maybe we'll get a convert, maybe not, but it's good that there's one more good rider that is looking for something else besides what the Motor company has to offer...

One thought: EagleRider.com

I rented an ST1300 there for a weekend before I bought my FJR. They didn't have FJRs at the time, but that was enough to convince me that the FJR was for me (I couldn't handle the "spaceship" sound it made when you accelerated). I've also rented a Honda Shadow 750 before which convinced me I needed more power. (I used to think 750cc's was a "big" bike).

That way he can pick the bike he wants rather than be restricted to just your FJR. They'll offer liability insurance options and even have helmets you can use!

My brother-in-law rides bikes and has a couple in his barn and offered to let me ride one when I was visiting one time and even that made me feel uncomfortable. Bikes are personal things. Much more so than a car, IMO.

No way.

If he really wants to do the trip on a bike, tell him to rent an HD Ultra Classic. Slow and comfy.

If I let someone ride my bike, it's because I trust them to pay for the damage. I let my brother ride my FZ6R, which he dropped. I was more worried about him than the bike. Even after we got the bike up, I was still making sure he was OK. After I was satisfied with his mental state and physical safety, I looked at the damage. Just a scratch on the edge of the mirror (plastic part).

And yes, I let him ride it after that inciddent too.

It's just a bike that can be replaced.

However, you must also be prepared to eat all the costs yourself. If you are unwilling, or dont want to, etc... the simple answer is no.

Their ability, personality, and ability to pay all factor in: I dont let just anyone take my car, my bike, or into my house (when I'm not there).

But I'll loan just about anyone a $1. =)

No loaners from me. ;)

Just a quick story and tragedy to mention…

Back in the early 90's, a couple friends and I went dirt bike riding out in the SoCal desert. One of the guys brought his little brother, he asked to ride my friends 1986 CR500 (this bike was mine and I sold it to the other friend). The friends little bro knew how to ride bikes… He never came back. They found him later that afternoon expired and the bike totaled. It was truly a very sad day for us all.

'Neither borrower or lender be" -- Shakespear

I don't loan my bike. I also do not ask to borrow a friend's bike. Had a buddy back in the mid '90s who loaned his Ninja to a "friend." Said "friend" did an illegal pass on the right and killed himself.

Not worth the potential problems--if the guy is a real friend, he will understand.

Rev.

I friend of mine asked me if I loan out my bike. I figured a day trip somewhere, maybe a weekend at best, but nothing too big. He said he'd like to ride it 2 up from OK to CA which is a much different request than I expected. It's a trip with him and his 18 year old daughter for her HS graduation.
I picked up the '07 in Jan '10 and have 3400 miles on it now, the farthest trip I've taken on it is about a 2 hour ride one way. I'm undecided on my answer. If anything happens to the bike, he'll take care of it, no issue there. The bike has no cruise, stock seat and only the two stock cases on each side. I would think it would be an awful tough ride for a guy (2 up) that has ridden a bike maybe 3 or 4 times so far this year....

Thoughts?
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

After re-reading this several times I've come to a different conclusion..

I say shoot the SOB for having the audacity to ask such a favor.. or at least gouge his eyes out with a tuning fork and send them to Old Michael for something to play with..

:jester:

So, the only person in favor of the loan was Busta? and then he changed his mind.

Can't believe how the friend would even dare to ask. Sounds as though he thought better of it, after having had some time to think on it. Either the convertible, or the cruiser rental seem like the best ways to go. Perhaps the car is the better option, since safety gear doesn't have to be provided for the trip. Or heaven forbid, they ride without ATGATT.

Hope he and his daughter have a wonderful, memorable trip together.

Read this before. Had my own thoughts, but didn't want to sound like an ungenerous tight-ass with my "stuff" (like most everybody else here) so I didn't post them. Just saw the thread again in the "new posts" and had to laugh at the title. The part that says "Any Opinions?" :lol:

With this crowd? Must a' been joking.

I would absolutely loan my bike...To my brother, or another person I know that rides an FJR, or someone I trust who also rides who just wants to see how it feels. That is completely different than any of those people asking to take my bike on a 4000 mile trip across the country. I would maybe maybe loan it to my brother for a trip like that, but I know how he rides and I trust him completely. I also know that when he got back, I would have a new set of tires and the next service interval completed.

Those two requirements together would probably cost more than the cost of a rental, so taking my bike to "save money" would be a moot point. I would never have the balls to ask someone to take their bike on a trip like that.

Something is wrong with someone who would...Just my 2 cents.

Once upon a time a riding friend begged ,scraped and crawled to ride my '89 FJ1200. He wasn't on it 2 minutes before he dropped it and then stitched me out of a mirror, brake lever and brake pedal, never mind a hair crack in the air scoop and buffing out the paint and aluminum can. Don't even think about asking to ride my bike...
Deja vu-I let a friend ride my brand new '86 FJ and he dumped it, breaking his collar bone and his neck. Not to mention the damage to the bike.

-I forgot-also knocked the fairing frame askew-no one could notice but me because it was so minute, but it drove me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, never. Last time I loaned a bike to a freind was when I was in the navy. My friend borrowed my Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke and hit guard rail doing 55. He shattered his right arm and recieved a medical discharge. The navy then sued me (well my insurance company). My friend had planned to be a golf pro when he got out of the navy. That was 36 years ago and I still regret loaning him the bike, not for what happened to the bike, for what happened to him and how it messed up his life.

I would absolutely loan my bike...To my brother, or another person I know that rides an FJR, or someone I trust who also rides who just wants to see how it feels. That is completely different than any of those people asking to take my bike on a 4000 mile trip across the country. I would maybe maybe loan it to my brother for a trip like that, but I know how he rides and I trust him completely. I also know that when he got back, I would have a new set of tires and the next service interval completed.
Those two requirements together would probably cost more than the cost of a rental, so taking my bike to "save money" would be a moot point. I would never have the balls to ask someone to take their bike on a trip like that.

Something is wrong with someone who would...Just my 2 cents.
Read post above. My buddy was a fairly competent rider and he only took the bike for a 10 minute ride and hit gravel.

No.

NEVER, it would be like loaning out your wife or girl friend for the weekend!!!!!!! Real BAD idea, it NEVER ends well!!!!!!!!!!!!