Location of 2009 CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I vote I have a question.CFO = Central FJR Owners

What are we considering "Central"?
Oh, Oh, OH, where is my popcorn. There are 4 corners on the compass, the one on the bottom is in a....grey area.

I would say no further west than where CFO has been held in the SD, up to the Canadian border, as far East as maybe OH?

There are 4 corners on the compass, the one on the bottom is in a....grey area.
That's why I didn't vote MO. Didn't want to get a battle going again. Yes it could be in MO but we opted for the three to make it easy. Iggy made a post awhile back that there really are no lines for such events. And they didn't want to get involved into that. So vote what you want.

Hey, if you guys are afraid of holding it in MO because of some unseen/unsaid "rule", I guess that's your perogative. I see Missouri as a legitimate stand alone spot as an alternate to WI and SD. However, it sounds like most are looking to SW WI which is a great place to ride...

While I sided somewhat with the N Mn side at the banquet, I voted S Wi. Custer had great roads, sucky weather, miles and miles of slab for the privilege. South Sconnie has roads that are pretty much the equal of any in the nation, just not the major elevation changes. It's a road trip, but not a marathon, to get there. It's pretty much well centered (Central FJR Owners). Missouri would work for me also, been there, and quite beautiful, especially around the Truman Res., a place I've been, but wasn't one of the options (unless you count other). Another option is Northeast Sconnie, one of my best friends lives in Tomahawk ( a plus for setup), close to the UP, have ridden it, and in the fall is simply gorgeous, but fall weather can be interesting, due to lake effect fog and rain, but a nice day there, with fall colors, can leave you gasping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if you guys are afraid of holding it in MO because of some unseen/unsaid "rule", I guess that's your perogative. I see Missouri as a legitimate stand alone spot as an alternate to WI and SD. However, it sounds like most are looking to SW WI which is a great place to ride...

I don't think that's it. Jackson stated that, according to the member map, over 100 owners live in the general vicinity of SW WI.

SFO '09 will be in NW Arkansas, which is a great area. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to consider Missouri. It has several slabs that could get the MSP/Chicago-area pilots there and home quickly. Not to mention any other folks from visiting if they're from outside the "area".

No one kicked me out for attending another FO; and it was closer to me (in Omahell) than CFO/NAFO this year. I'd go to several a year if I could afford it :)

Maybe we consider alternating sites between Custer, somewhere in WI/MN and MO ???? The advantage would be that we'd know an area (lodging/food/roads).

Just a thought.

I don't think that's it. Jackson stated that, according to the member map, over 100 owners live in the general vicinity of SW WI.
SFO '09 will be in NW Arkansas, which is a great area. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to consider Missouri. It has several slabs that could get the MSP/Chicago-area pilots there and home quickly. Not to mention any other folks from visiting if they're from outside the "area".

No one kicked me out for attending another FO; and it was closer to me (in Omahell) than CFO/NAFO this year. I'd go to several a year if I could afford it :)

Maybe we consider alternating sites between Custer, somewhere in WI/MN and MO ???? The advantage would be that we'd know an area (lodging/food/roads).

Just a thought.
Actually, I think he refers to a big blow up that occurred a few years ago, when some folks got miffed about overlapping areas, detailed Here and Here. It ended with some banning, some yellin' and screamin', and eventually, both groups doing just fine.

True, S.W. WI is a beautiful place for motorcycling and a great place to meet and ride with friends for a day or two.

But, I voted *other* -- (no brag, but) I've been to many of the popular places and would enjoy 'reaching out' to new and different places that may add a sense of adventure. Here are a few:

• Bayfield Peninsula, WI
  • N.E. Iowa (Elkader)
  • Nebraska (Niobrara)
  • E. SD, Big Sioux R. Valley
  • E. ND, Pembina R. Valley
  • N. ND, Lake Metigoshe/Peace Garden
  • N.W. Ill (Galena)
  • Indiana, Covered Bridges to Brown County
You get the idea -- off the super-slab and a little bit of a 'reach' to get there. As for N. MN, I think it's great for hunters and fisherman but motorcyclists, not so much. Brainerd and Mille Lacs area would be about as far north as I'd recco.Not much help in the decision-making process, I know. Good luck with that.... :huh: :)

NW IL has some good roads to be sure, BUT you can ride all of them in a day, or even a long afternoon. I guess you could then head up into WI from Northern IL, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

The thing that everybody has to remember and I'm sure everybody knows, YOU WILL NOT PLEASE EVERYBODY. These polls give a general idea and then the people who have the ability to arrange can step up and take care of it.

Once the decision is made, then its up everybody to decide if they want to go. I like the idea of it moving around a bit. N MN is nice for sure, but the FJR is suited more for the technical riding and it will be a draw for areas that it can be used for that purpose. WI, Bl Hills, MO. Those areas are going to be more fun for this bike. We threw N MN in their just to see the draw. I think you see where this bike wants to be.

I voted the cheesy way. I'd give 2nd place to N Min. I'm repeating what some have already said, but................

WI= better roads.......N MN= better scenery........Black Hills, too far from majority of CFO peeps, and boring as heck getting to/fro.

O.K. I've finished the recommended reading.

I understand now.

:blink:

I vote for LAT. 39°50' LONG. 98°35'

edit: that's the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States

05geographiccenter2.JPG

True, S.W. WI is a beautiful place for motorcycling and a great place to meet and ride with friends for a day or two.But, I voted *other* -- (no brag, but) I've been to many of the popular places and would enjoy 'reaching out' to new and different places that may add a sense of adventure. Here are a few:

• Bayfield Peninsula, WI
  • N.E. Iowa (Elkader)
  • Nebraska (Niobrara)
  • E. SD, Big Sioux R. Valley
  • E. ND, Pembina R. Valley
  • N. ND, Lake Metigoshe/Peace Garden
  • N.W. Ill (Galena)
  • Indiana, Covered Bridges to Brown County
You get the idea -- off the super-slab and a little bit of a 'reach' to get there. As for N. MN, I think it's great for hunters and fisherman but motorcyclists, not so much. Brainerd and Mille Lacs area would be about as far north as I'd recco.Not much help in the decision-making process, I know. Good luck with that.... :huh: :)
I live within 2hrs of Elkader, IA. Lots of nice twisty roads and lots of area attractions (Osborne Wildlife Center, Effigy Mounds, Iowa's Pike's Peak, etc, wineries, etc). However, many of the nice twisty roads are gravel. Between Elkader and Prairie Du Chien, WI there are some decent paved roads, but as TriggerT mention, most of these can be covered in a day. The river road north of Dubuque is great, from what I hear. I haven't been in that area since leaving high school. It's also not too far off HWY 20, which is slab from IA I-35 and just north of IA I-80.

However, it's "close" enough to SW WI that you could include it on a one-day route if you really wanted to.

As much as I would love to head back out the the Black Hills, I am in favor of moving around and riding different areas of the midwest. Would love to ride S MO, beautiful country, but it didn't make the list. Being a Minnesnowtan, I agree with N MN being great for scenery, but for balls to the wall riding, SW WI is hard to beat.

So I am voting for the SW WI Cheesehead ride.