location of engine grounding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Did a forum search and a google search but could not pin down any post that gave me this location -- and there were MANY posts.

Anyone out there help me please? Trying to chase down an annoying intermittent problem.

Thanks.

The wire connects at the lower right front of the engine, behind the cyl #4 exhaust header pipe, hidden behind the radiator hoses. The engine lower case bolts to the upper case with a series of vertical screws -- heads toward the ground and threaded part going up into the upper block. The ground wire comes down to one of these engine case screws with a 90 degree ring connector. It is easiest to make first sighting using an inspection mirror. You can just slip a couple of long extensions up between the chin fairing and the engine block to access the bolt head, a swivel may help.

Actually, I have the entire friggin lower faring off my bike right now to install a new stator before I leave for EOM tomorrow morning, perhaps I can get you a quick picture in a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would have thought, the FSM has a picture of the ground wire -- item #11.

GroundLug.jpg

If this doesn't do it there is still a chance for a picture before the fairing goes back on in ~ 1hr.

Edited to add: I have excessive voltage drop at this ground connection, I drop almost 0.50 volts. It looks like the problem is the crimp at the ring lug because the connection is clean and tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a second ground wire on mine after having an issue with the factory ground getting sprayed with salt water on the ferry boats. I ran a #10 wire to the frame just behind the battery. There was a real easy place to hook it up and haven't had a problem since.

Good idea Ray.

I'm just grabbing at straws here though. Intermittent problems are the worse. I have an engine light that comes on then goes away almost any time it pleases (no codes) , and now an idling problem on "start up" that is also infrequent :huh:

Good idea Ray.I'm just grabbing at straws here though. Intermittent problems are the worse. I have an engine light that comes on then goes away almost any time it pleases (no codes) , and now an idling problem on "start up" that is also infrequent :huh:
Our bikes must be related as I am fighting some starting issues that seem to have a mnd of their own. Tha last thing I did was unplug,clean and grease every connector I could find without taking the fairing off. I did a test ride yesterday and it started fine each time and the idle was good. To early to tell but I am hoping that it was a dirty connection from being on the salt flats two weeks ago. Good luck.

That connection is important only for (1) the starter motor, (2) the oil level switch, and (3) the neutral switch. Nothing else is affected by that connection.

The black conductor wiring harness return bus completes all the other circuits.

That connection is important only for (1) the starter motor, (2) the oil level switch, and (3) the neutral switch. Nothing else is affected by that connection.
The black conductor wiring harness return bus completes all the other circuits.
That's good to know ConstantM. Didn't get to that point yet but seems that's not the problem. Other minor issues are now in my focus sfter spending a half hour on the garage floor :angry:

Gonna have to post ANOTHER question I think.