Locking the Forks (For Security)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll begin with clarification. We all know how you lock the forks all the way over to the left with the ignition key. Question is, is that enough security?
If I'm in unknown territory I lock everything, just to keep the casual/opportunistic thief at bay. A real thief will take your bike if they want it,nothing can stop that. What you can do is make it more trouble than it is worth, then your bike isn't a target. The thief will move on to another more easily obtainable target. My bagger has a factory alarm, it's impressive to the public, but no doubt little deterrent to a thief. I've seen video where 4 guys with 2 lengths of pipe take an 800# HD bagger without activating the alarm. The best thing you can do is attach your bike to immovable objects with the best, strongest, locks/chains/cables/ect you can buy. Multiple attachment devices add security. But..........a battery powered side grinder can still defeat those in short order. Use what you can pack that makes you feel good, but keep your insurance paid up. I used to be paranoid and couldn't sleep on the road for looking out to see if the bike was still there. After a lot of years on the road, I lock the forks, take out the key and go to bed. If the bike's not there in the morning I'll worry about it then.

Years back I stayed at a MC friendly motel a few days in Eureka Springs AR riding with friends. There was a guy with a big Japanese cruiser (I forget the brand) that had trailered in. Every night about 0100 he would ride in loudly, put the bike on this huge trailer, and then set the alarm on the van pulling it. He would then step on the trailer to make sure the van's alarm would trip. This was a bit comical since the parking lot was full of unsecured customs that would have cost more than his bike/trailer/van combo and annoying since we were trying to sleep. Watching dudes routine through the window, after his alarm woke us up, we came up with a plan. Every morning when we were kickstand up someone would ride by his trailer and give it a shove. About the time we hit the highway dude would come running out in his BVD's to rescue his bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Sturgis a few years back where some Harley poser put one of those locks on his bike. The next morning, he forgot he put it on. Made a hell of a racket and tore the bejeezus out of the front forks.
Using a disc lock without a handlebar reminder is a bad idea. I know several folks that have had to deal with a front tire locking unexpectedly after forgetting the lock. I guess the disc locks with motion detectors would help prevent that.

All I have used is the Xena Disc Alarm when touring or locking in a parking garage. Touring, I keep the alarm set outside the motel/hotel wind open. And I have once raced to the door to find someone 'looking' at the bike. Never an issue otherwise.