Long-Distance Endurance MT10 Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to gear up for a stomping 5-day blast over the July 4th weekend.... it is strangely comforting to balance these Bridgestones T32s with fresh tire nubbies in the morning sun:

1718632282379.jpeg

Fantastic build thread! I am apparently OCD as hell, cuz I could NOT handle all the stuff you have installed. I do like that TPMS sensor...on the list now.
Thanks! Also, that bridge is cool as hell, and now on the bucket list!!

Question...do you IBR riders with all the gadgets have to enhance the charging system on the bikes? I see the bigger fuse blocks. But did I miss where your stator had to be upgraded to handle the higher load requirement? I went back and didnt find any mention of it on this thread.

Question...do you IBR riders with all the gadgets have to enhance the charging system on the bikes? I see the bigger fuse blocks. But did I miss where your stator had to be upgraded to handle the higher load requirement? I went back and didnt find any mention of it on this thread.
The FJRs stators are freaking units. I used to draw 200w from mine just for heat, maybe another 50 for other stuff like grips and lights and my phone. And then on top of whatever the bike uses. If anything make sure you have a very good battery, FJRs really don't like weak batteries, mines cranked without starting.

Gen I had a bit lower stator output compared to later models - especially since most aux lights 20 years ago were halogen, not LED. Some people went to a higher output stator from Electrosport but they didn't last long. I haven't had any issues with high powered driving lights and heated gear. Most other accessories like GPS, TPMS, radar detectors, cameras etc don't use a lot of power.

I elected not to do much with my factory stator, because I don't ride at night anywhere near as much as I used to. The MT-10 does turn into a rolling stadium light when I need it to, and then I do keep a closer eye on the voltmeter. When the outer four lamps are lit, I shut down the other lamps to save power. Just burning the outer four lamps will send the voltmeter tumbling down from 14.1 to 13.7v... still okay, but I force the stator to work hard at that level.

1719065094505.png