Long Distance Riding and Catheterization

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I hate to even post this question for fear of the TWN / Radman's potential responses but I will foolishly go where angels fear to tread.

OK, got to talking about newly ordered FJR with some guyz at work and the long distance capability of the machine, the Iron Butt, etc.

Someone asked the question... 'Do Iron Butter's use catheters?'

I didn't and don't know; seems very extreme but then again the whole concept of 11 days 11k+ miles is waaaay outside my realities..

So, do they?

Posted as a serious question... :dntknw:

No, they do not.

There is, however, a multiple IBR veteran from Texas who has devised a relief tube on his Wingabago that allows him to relieve himself while underway.

He takes a fair amount of ribbing from the rest of us for his contraption, but he's been using it for over 10 year now. For the most part, we just figure, hey, he's from Texas.... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years back, Car & Driver had a couple guys go non-stop across the country in a VW Diesel Rabbit loaded with fuel. IIRC they modified some HD condoms for this very purpose, which worked out ok. They, however, did not have to get out to refuel, etc. WWII B-17 crewman used the same set-up more or less, but evacuated through a tube to the outside of the aircraft. Exposure of the, um, unit at 50 below uniquely qualified them for haz duty pay in the eyes of the brass, never mind the Focke-Wulfs. Oh, and in keeping with the rep, I should mention how nice it is to finally have some switch hitters here who aren't afraid to come out........ :D Rock on, fella.
rainbow-fly%20copy.jpg

There is, however, a multiple IBR veteran from Texas who has devised a relief tube on his Wingabago that allows him to relieve himself while underway.
I saw that Wingabago and worried I'd have to tech. inspect the beast. Had I drawn the unlucky duty when it would have come time to grab the auxillary fuel cell for movement--I would have just said, "Looks secure to me. I'm not touching that bike."

...partly because I wouldn't have been sure where the drain part of that tube led, but also because hew was from Texas. :blink:

Everyone says they hang waaaay back when following him! :D

Actually when MK wants to go #1 while underway, he will wave you on forward.

And you thought you liked the FJR's power when passing a car. ;)

GZ

I second the Stadium pal. I have used one for several rides and it works well. You can buy the parts far cheaper from some drug stores. :eek:

Personally, I'd be a little worried about wearing such a device in the event of a get-off...(no pun intended!). I mean, I could imagine the staff at the ER; "Okay, get his helmet off...looks good; okay now the jacket, and the pants--sonofabitch! Where's his johnson?!

Think I'll stick with Mother Nature...get to stretch my legs as a bonus!

Hi All,

"They work for me!"

O.K., picture this... you have to piss like a wild stallion as you pull into a fuel stop. With a external catheter things are easy... without one you have to run inside, possibly wait in line, and then undo your riding gear just to take a leak.

I've used the external catheters and think they work great! You still have to stop (and can then stretch your legs), but it becomes your choice on where you stop. Kinda like having 11+ gallons of fuel... it allows you more choices.

FYI, I buy mine at a local medical/surgical supply store. All you need are the catheters, a connector and a length of hose. I tried the 'bag', but found it difficult to work with under my riding gear.

But when you pee while refueling don't the people around you freak out when they see the puddle forming on the ground under your bike thinking you are leaking fuel all over the ground?? :D :p :lol: :lol:

But when you pee while refueling don't the people around you freak out when they see the puddle forming on the ground under your bike thinking you are leaking fuel all over the ground?? :D :p :lol: :lol:
Ya know... I haven't made the 'procedure' obvious enough to draw attention to myself. I gues the old " don't knock it until you've tried it " saying really comes into play on this one.

I can see where it would...I was just cracking a joke. ;)

We use external catheters on our patients sometimes...seems like it would work well

External Catheters are common in glider racing. It's not unusual for us to be in the air for six hours or more at one time. Trying to pee while in a semi-reclined seat is no fun. I use the type 8400 . Mfg. is MENTOR

https://www.mentorcorp.com/bladder-control/...MEC-Freedom.htm

I strap a bag that comes with the catheters to my leg and hook it up just prior to getting into the airplane.

We usually wear short pants so I am not sure how well it would work with long pants. You would probably have to put the bag and hose on first, then your pants. Then a brief period before you begin your ride, apply the catheter and then at the last moment, hook the tube to the Catheter.

Another option would be a long hose under the pants and out to the bottom of your shoe.

I carry at least 3 liters of water and I am drinking with great frequency. Dehydration in a sailplane after 4 or 5+ hours of racing can be real dangerous in the air.

It actually works quite well. Pee on demand ---

A "texas catheter" is used in health care oftentimes. The Stadium Pal is actually a texas catheter. Also known as a condom catheter.

I have actually worn them during 10-12 hour surgeries. Honestly I would prefer to step out and take a break.

As for LDR, the pit stop is really recommended as you need the break from the road, etc. I can ride the FJR until the gas tank is low, and by then I have recycled enough fluid that I need to stop.

Plan your route, ride careful and take some pit stops...Ride safe!