Looking at a used 04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
Well I finally sold one of my bikes and I'm going to go look at an 04 with 20Km (new tires and wheel bearings) which is pretty much stock. Asking price is currently about a 1500 below blue book ( good site! www.cbtrader.ca ) prices (and verified by Autotrader). So far its looking good. :dribble:

I've ridden for for a little over 30 years so I know what I'm looking for on a used bike (at least I like to think so). But how about FJR specific stuff. I know about the ticking issue but anything else?

What say you?

-Steve

HEAT...1st generation feejrs throw a tonne of heat at the pilot. Not a problem below around 30`C really....above that and you will see for yourself. At 35`you will be in a blast furnace. Other than that, a great bike. I had my `04 for 4 seasons. Why did I get rid of it you ask? HEAT !!!!!! :blink:

HEAT...1st generation feejrs throw a tonne of heat at the pilot. Not a problem below around 30`C really....above that and you will see for yourself. At 35`you will be in a blast furnace. Other than that, a great bike. I had my `04 for 4 seasons. Why did I get rid of it you ask? HEAT !!!!!! :blink:
The heat isn't a problem with all the gen 1 bikes. I have had my 03 all over the west including Az. and Nv. in August and while there is some heat ( maybe because you are sitting on an engine that burns gasoline ) it goes away when you start moving. I would say ride the particular bike and decide for yourself. You wouldn't want to lose a good deal on second hand info

The heat isn't a problem with all the gen 1 bikes.
My Cycleport mesh Kevlar pants almost completely shield my lower legs from the heat, while allowing ventilation when moving. I've ridden around my neighborhood in shorts and the heat was much more uncomfortable.

Get ATGATT.

Bike doesn't have ABS :/

I live in Northern Ontario, I can count on one hand the number of days per year when its over 30C :/

I think we've broke 20C once in the last 2 weeks.

I have an '04 non-ABS and entirely happy with it. Beautiful bike and all. No heat problems for me. I will not get rid of this bike. Ever.

If you can score an '04 with only 20K on it, and are happy with the price, I would buy it. My '04 is and has been a great bike. No heat issues for me either, but do notice it in bumpertobumper in the summer on my way into Reno.

I would ride the bike to decide if it bothers you. What to watch for....torque, tons of torque and a very nice thrust is the seat of the pants when you roll that throttle from 4000 rpm. Hold on for the warp factor. You will be grinning so BIG :D after a test ride. Sudbury Ontario, lots of roads to 'cool off' on. A great guy in Huntsville if you need any help with it.

Torch is his forum name.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can score an '04 with only 20K on it, and are happy with the price, I would buy it. My '04 is and has been a great bike. No heat issues for me either, but do notice it in bumpertobumper in the summer on my way into Reno. I would ride the bike to decide if it bothers you. What to watch for....torque, tons of torque and a very nice thrust is the seat of the pants when you roll that throttle from 4000 rpm. Hold on for the warp factor. You will be grinning so BIG :D after a test ride. Sudbury Ontario, lots of roads to 'cool off' on. A great guy in Huntsville if you need any help with it.

Torch is his forum name.
Huntsville was nice..cottage country was nice last fall at CFR at places like Haliburton and Wilberforce. Those 500 series roads are great. :yahoo:

There are 3 main heat fixes if they do bother you.. My 04 has had them all done.

There is still heat but to me it is well within my tollerances so far but i have yet to see the really hot temps on the bike.

Sometimes a 04 gets its' little nose out of joint after having met up with the faster 03 for the first time. Many are traumatized for life; check any potential 04s for this neurosis! One of the symptoms is a overly dry spline... :rolleyes:

I was going to comment about the Gen1 heat issue too, but I see your from Canada, eh? My Gen1 really got hot when temps exceeded 82-85F or so. You're probably going to be just fine with the '04 up there.

Oh, make sure it's not one of the ticker's. Yam has been known to fix the problem (even outside warranty period), but it's much better not to have to deal with the issue at all.

SR-71

Make sure the previous owner doesn't go by SkooterG or 'Flipper'. Skoot has a tendency to teach his bikes how to fly... unfortunately he's still working on teaching them to land....

I'm on my 3rd FJR an 03, 06, & an 08. If I were you I would not purchase purchase anything older than an 06 it is a far better bike overall.

If you can score an '04 with only 20K on it, and are happy with the price, I would buy it. My '04 is and has been a great bike. No heat issues for me either, but do notice it in bumpertobumper in the summer on my way into Reno. I would ride the bike to decide if it bothers you.
^^^ agree.

(Except temp comment, once riding 2-up in 103F temp it was really hot).

I have '04 with 40,000 miles, no ABS; like it and would recommend.

No issues, mine pretty much stock. Some old press about handlebar vibes; I had a back injury, so

I put HeliBar risers on ($140), BMW grips ($35?) and Cramp Busters on throttle ($12);

one or all of them 'cured' it or maybe it never existed...

warning, you'll become an enthusiast if you're happy with deal.

Those 500 series roads are great. :yahoo:
Sure are! Here's a vid I made with a co-worker a few ago to test out my new vid cam setup (POV V.I.O). Photobucket cut off the last minute or so of it, but you can get a real taste for Hwy 537 which is a really nice 45 loop out of Sudbury.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Bun...t=WanupRide.flv
OK Bungie, you've got to get FJR so we can see more of your movies, nice.

You're looking at the '04, so here's an earlier thread showing a trip of '04 FJR, handful photos and a 2 min video.

'04 FJR on Canada Trip

warning, you'll become an enthusiast if you're happy with deal.
I think I'm done for.. I went and looked at the bike last night and ended up shooting the shit with the guy for over an hour. He's a member here, but I never did get his handle. I ended up telling him I want the bike, one way or the other, I'm pretty sure it'll be in my driveway sometime next week. :D

OK Bungie, you've got to get FJR so we can see more of your movies, nice.
You're looking at the '04, so here's an earlier thread showing a trip of '04 FJR, handful photos and a 2 min video.

'04 FJR on Canada Trip
Hwy 537 is about a 30km run of high speed sweepers, I think the longest straight stretch is about .5 of a km. That vid doesn't do it any justice at all. The 5 series hwys in Ontario are pretty much legendary, all are reasonably well maintained and are garunteed to be twisty and scenic (in a non-slab kinda way).

That was my test run with the camera and my first try at video editing (nevermind my gf is a video production designer and eats and breathes it.. does she help? NOOOOOOO HAHAHA)

Anyway, gotta cart my arse into work.. thanks for the links and the advice.