Looking for a Little Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you guys finding the RAM mounts? About the only place I find them when I do a search is through the gentleman whose name is not to be uttered on this site. (see #10 in guidelines)

I have the one from techmount and I'm very pleased with it.

zumo%20hdon1.jpg
zumoleft.jpg

Where are you guys finding the RAM mounts? About the only place I find them when I do a search is through the gentleman whose name is not to be uttered on this site. (see #10 in guidelines)
I don't know which name we're not supposed to mention, but i've previously dealt with both of these companies and would again.

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

What I did with mine:

2610 refurb from buy.com a few weeks ago, and Garmin's motorcycle kit, which is the bracket and power cable. From RAM, the 10mm threaded post ball for the mirror hole, which is new and apparently still scarce (see Sockmonkey's thread here), a short arm, and an AMPS plate. (The wizard on RAM's site wants you to get a diamond-shaped plate, only two holes. I wanted the real AMPS plate, all 4 holes, so I searched RAM for AMPS.)

I had it set a little further back but it would hit the windshield at full right if the shield was down. In these pics I haven't tied the cable. Still looking for the best way to thread it around and between the clutch lever, reservoir, and the grip.

The last picture is misleading as to its position. The camera was set on the top box for stability. From the riding position the Garmin is below the gauges in your sight line, which I prefer. I know the OP asked for a higher set and a shelf, but I find it less distracting set low and out of the way. Higher up, I keep trying to "watch" it, like it was a TV or something.

Sideview.jpg

Viewfromfront.jpg

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the length of the stem mount determines it's rigidness. Mines a 4" extension and it vibrates, IMO it's not "rock solid". Also blocks the gauges.

I'm moving to the brake caliper reservoir.

Not everyones cup of tea but it does keep the GPS (and other things) in your line of site, without blocking your gauges.
NLineshelf003.jpg

NLineshelf002.jpg

I'm just about to drop the dime on the Zumo and have been debating on how to mount it. I like your setup because it will keep your head and eyes up (especially since I'm MSF Ridercoach and I nag my riders about this all day long :) ).

One question... Did you buy the mounting bracket from N-line to mount your Zumo to the shelf or was there a suitable bracket already included in the kit from Garmin?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
One question... Did you buy the mounting bracket from N-line to mount your Zumo or was there a suitable bracket already in the kit from Garmin?

Thanks!!

Chris,

I had to fab the bracket.

I then sent Scott at N/Line the mounting dimensions for the Zumo motorcycle bracket. The last time I spoke with him (about 3 weeks ago) he was going to start fabing a Zumo dedicated bracket.

I made mine from a piece of 3" bar stock (1/8" thick) I had in my shop. You need to mount the Zumo right in the middle for windscreen clearence on the Gen II models.

Mounted in that position, I can tap the screen very easily and the Factory gauges are not hidden at all.

One question... Did you buy the mounting bracket from N-line to mount your Zumo or was there a suitable bracket already in the kit from Garmin?

Thanks!!

Chris,

I then sent Scott at N/Line the mounting dimensions for the Zumo motorcycle bracket. The last time I spoke with him (about 3 weeks ago) he was going to start fabing a Zumo dedicated bracket.

I made mine from a piece of 3" bar stock (1/8" thick) I had in my shop. You need to mount the Zumo right in the middle for windscreen clearence on the Gen II models.

Mounted in that position, I can tap the screen very easily and the Factory gauges are not hidden at all.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked.

Thanks!!

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked.
Chris,

the Zumo does come with a motorcycle ready bracket. It also comes with a ball mount that can be used. I was trying to hold the weight down and as stated before, there's limited room on the shelf due to the Zumo's shape. I still have photos that I sent to Scott if you are interested.

Cap'n Bob,

Would you kindly post the pics or tell me how to receive them so as not bog down other users who may not be interested? I'd like to purchase that shelf, esp. as the CA Sport Touring indicated he now has a Zumo 550 specfic attachment.

Thanks and regards,

Patrick