Looking for a picture or pattern of a heat blanket for the Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...... Do any of the big box auto parts joints carry stuff like this?
PS thanks RJ that would be awesome. Just a picture with a scale would do me wonders.
Fred, I'll do you one better in hopes that it'll put a dent in my debt to you....

I made an executive decision today and will *NOT* be using a heat blanket in my new(er) bike. I did just fine without it on the last bike, and i just prefer things simple.

A couple of notes:

+ Mine is not made out of the EZ stuff ...it is made out of traditional insulation with a foil backing. I don't know who the original maker of this was/is.

+ Mine is two piece, ....one large piece that has slits to accommodate fuel line and such

Here is a picture of the smaller piece ...it'll give you a good idea. I forgot to take pics of the larger piece.

100511%20(0).JPG

100511%20(1).JPG

100511%20(2).JPG

If you want this, email me your addy and I'll ship out to you N/C.

There is a clicky
I did not use this, but it is out there.

I bought some ezcool insulation and cut it to fit. Thought I would have other applications for it, but haven't used the big roll just yet.

I link not work, just google...fjr1300 heat fix kit...it's on ebay now too.
I looked up ezcool. Looks like good stuff! Would you be willing to part with some of it? If so, what would you want for some of it?

Sorry, been out of town....M'day and all.

Sure, just shoot me a pm of your address and I'll mail a large piece to you to work with.

I've been looking at these available heat fixes. I just picked up my '05 on Sunday and have just had a chance to get some miles on her. Yessiree....the heat is definitely noticeable in a big way. Pretty warm on the left but noticeably more on the right side.

To those that have used this blanket treatment, is this successfully eliminating this heat problem or is the jury still out? This is something I want to address asap and was just about ready to jump on the ebay gig like the Blind Squirrel just did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at these available heat fixes. I just picked up my '05 on Sunday and have just had a chance to get some miles on her. Yessiree....the heat is definitely noticeable in a big way. Pretty warm on the left but noticeably more on the right side.
To those that have used this blanket treatment, is this successfully eliminating this heat problem or is the jury still out? This is something I want to address asap and was just about ready to jump on the ebay gig like the Blind Squirrel just did.
The heat has to go somewhere. It moved the heat away from the tank. It is now warmer on my shins. Something I can live with. I am happy with the blanket and results I got from the ebay guy.

Made a heat blanket using one of the eBay blankets that Reno John sent me (thanks RJ!) as a pattern out of material that FJR Remington sent me (thanks Remington!). Man, sometimes I am really astounded by the generosity of Forum folks to people they have never even met (yet).

So here are some pictures of the heat blanket I just made up:

The new blanket(s):

100_1418.jpg

The outline (ruler for scale)

100_1424.jpg

How it fits:

100_1420.jpg

100_1419.jpg

The EZ Cool that FJR Remington sent me is the total shizzy. Very awesome material. It is foil lined on both sides with foam insulation layer in between. I have not yet tested it but tomorrow is supposed to be 90 degrees and I'm playing hookey from work to go ride with my son.

So since I have been the recipient of such incredible generosity, I feel totally compelled to pass it along.

I have enough EZ Cool to make another set of the blankets, which I will do for the first 1st genner that requests it via PM.

I also have the eBay blanket that RJ sent me, that will go to the next (1st gen) person that requests it via PM.

And, I now have the pattern to make your own blankets from whatever material you can come up with. I will get ahold of one of those flip chart paper pads and trace my pattern on a page for as many people that request it.

I must say though, that as good as this pattern seems to fit, this is not an exacting science, and there is still room for improvement, should one want to do so. If you were to just roughly follow the pattern your results would likely be just as good.

So since I have been the recipient of such incredible generosity, I feel totally compelled to pass it along.
I have enough EZ Cool to make another set of the blankets, which I will do for the first 1st genner that requests it via PM.

I also have the eBay blanket that RJ sent me, that will go to the next (1st gen) person that requests it via PM.
Yer a good man, Fred, for making the offer.....despite what EVERYONE says about you! :blum:

Thanks for posting the picture, Fred. Bustanut sent out the insulation he was talking about on another thread a week or so ago, and I got it installed, although like a damn fool I started the project when I came home shortly after a fill up. Five gallons of gas is kind of heavy, huh? So I siphoned most of it out and slid the stuff in from the side, rather than do it right and fit it with the cover removed, but I think I got it in pretty well. Laid it into place and made some marks with a magic marker and then cut it with heavy duty scissors. Not pretty, but it's out of sight and apparently working. It's hard to tell just how hot it'd be without it, but it does seem to be better now. Much appreciation to Barry, too.

Arg! Sorry Mike. I forgot to tell ya that stuff don't like to be cut.. Silicone spray and a sharp razor works best for those who haven't attempted this yet.

I did the same with a full tank though, and I about became the first forum member to dent his tank via the floor by dropping it :dribble:

:jester: