Looking for a tiny waterproof 12v switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right. I was thinking the switched 12v+ was from the high/low switch........... cars & bikes switching the grounded leg is so backwards it throws me sometimes.

And I've been a car and bike mechanic for 26 years...house wiring throws me into convulsions. :dribble:

I've ordered a V-dub headlght relay from Autozone. Should be here in a couple days. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's finally done! I had to do things a little differently than originally planned, but it works! It seems that there's more to that flash switch circuit than meets the eye, and honestly I still haven't totally figured it out. I just knew for sure that I needed to complete that circuit, wherever the hell it goes. :whistle:

Here's how the final circuit wiring turned out;

highbeamcircuitcorrect.jpg

Here are the relays actually installed. I attached them to the airbox. The latching relay is attached with two-sided tape, and the standard relay is attached with a screw, since it had a mounting tab on it. All the connections were soldered and heat shrinked. Only one scotchlok was used...no butchering of the original wiring harness, so I can easily put it back to stock if so desired just by moving two wires.

Relays.jpg

Here's a little vid of them in action. As you'll see, I can now have the low beam only or high beam only like normal, or I can click the flash switch while in low beam mode and get both lights at the same time. Click the flash switch again and it goes back to just the low beam (you can hear the relays click with the bike not running). I like it! The video is

Thanks Rogue for the heads-up on the latching relay. I actually never heard of one before, but I like it. :)