Looking for durable practical motorcycle type boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another happy CruiserWorks customer here. They look like normal (rather than sportbike) boots, are completely waterproof, last a long time and can easily be resoled. I've had mine since 2001 and think they'll last another 5-7 years with a second resole.

Dios Madre FJRBluesman, if it isn't bad enough that we have to hold your hand on a SoCal FJR Ride, now we have to also dress you for the ride. Son of a Bitch, Simon!
Easy there fellow old fart, FJRBluesman might be asking about sock recommendations soon too so let's just string him along :rolleyes: .

doctorj

Dios Madre FJRBluesman, if it isn't bad enough that we have to hold your hand on a SoCal FJR Ride, now we have to also dress you for the ride. Son of a Bitch, Simon!
Easy there fellow old fart, FJRBluesman might be asking about sock recommendations soon too so let's just string him along :rolleyes: .

doctorj
Point well taken, doctorj! BUTT, when Bluesy starts asking for athletic supporter and underwear recommendations, I am bailing, and it is then up to you to be his own personal wardrobe advisor!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear my old Marine Corps combat boots and have for years. I've got a black pair and a desert pair. I mostly wear the black pair.
There is nothing wrong with the quality of the current crop of military boots, but lets not forget what the purpose is here, motorcycle riding.

Speaking only for myself, I feel a dedicated motorcycle boot, with armor in the shin, ankle and heel is a protection level necessary for the task. We are traveling at a much higher speed and encounter different impact and twisting forces than someone hiking/walking will. Additional features like shifter toe layers & easy entry w/o laces don't hurt either.

Up until I got my Diadoras, which I really like, I was wearing my Browning work boots. All leather, tough as shit, comfortable with good soles, very comfortable and waterproof. Depending on what I what I was doing, I also have a pair of Danners that I would wear. Same specs as the Brownings as far as comfort, wear and water repellance. The boots have 8" tops and I always tuck the laces into the boot, so no issues there. Neither boot was cheap, but I think the Brownings were only like $100 and I've had them for 6 years. The Danners, I've had for 4 years and absolutely love them.

If you are looking for something that will offer some protection and is not a MC specific boot, these fit the bill.

doctorj
Point well taken, doctorj! BUTT, when Bluesy starts asking for athletic supporter and underwear recommendations, I am bailing, and it is then up to you to be his own personal wardrobe advisor!!!
:blushing: :blush2: :agree: I guarandamntee that me not be touching any package even with a ten foot pole (no pun intended :good: ). Might have to turn over duties to Bustanut if sheep duties will allow him the time.

doctorj

Thanks all for the great advice. To best meet my needs I was zeroing in on OM's Chippewa Motorcycle Rally boot. I tried them on and they feel great. Then I came across these at Cycle Gear, RIVER ROAD Turnpike Cruiser Motorcycle Boots. Not quite like the Chippewa's but mucho cheaper (Go ahead OM, I'm waiting...)

riverroad_turnpike_cruiser_boot_MD.jpg

Easy there fellow old fart, FJRBluesman might be asking about sock recommendations soon too so let's just string him along :rolleyes: .doctorj
bemmerdons - No worries. I won't take any under garment advice from you. We know about you and your pink panties under all that gear. :dribble:

Cruiserworks boots have been fantastic for me - https://www.cruiserworks.com/mensboots.php
I love my Cruiserworks boots, but there are two things to know about them:

- Because they are water proof they are fairly warm, here in Texas I wear jungle boots in July and August.

- If you touch the pipe with your heal the rubber-like heal material will immediately melt. Easy off oven cleaner will remove the black gunk from the pipe.

Not to be a nay sayer, but it seems to me that most (if not all) of the non-MC specific boots (and even some of the cruiser type boots) don't provide any added ankle protection, other than the thickness of the boot leather. If you think about what needs protection in a get-off, it would seem that the ankle area is pretty vulnerable.

Even the Tourmaster Solutions that I wear, which people seem to regard as being too lightweight and comfortable to be "fully protective", have ankle armor built into the uppers. If you are sliding (or tumbling) down the road how heavy-duty the soles of your boots are would seem to me to be of limited significance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a set of Dainese Torques. The fit amazing from day one, I can walk in them all day, simple single zipper, look great, nice enough to wear out. I'm told that they can be resoled too but not sure about that.