Looking for ideas on helmet storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
I just pickup a 2015 FJR1300ES and am looking for ideas on how to safely stow my helmet on the bike. Just resting it on the seat is asking for trouble. I really don’t want to use one of the luggage bags. Not sure it would fit anyway. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the link you want for the Helmet Lock Brackets that were mentioned above....

The best designed option IMO....

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/2399-helmet-lock-brackets/

Had them on my 05, and a no brainer for my 2015....

He has with and without power options.

Read first page for contact info, then move well off to the last 3 or 4 pages for the GEN 3 Model info.

RSnooutlet.jpg

RSwithcovernooutlet3_zps459e1e53.jpg

I've been using a Master Lock cable pistol lock for years. Run it through the D-ring and then around the garb handle. Not as fancy as the installed helmet locks. BUT, cheaper and more versatile.

Like 'Zilla, I lock it around the grab handle. One of those carabiner things works well.

I was looking for ideas and stumbled on a suggestion on this forum. I can't give credit to the genius, but he knows who he is...

I just open the side bag release with the key, stick the d-ring under it before closing and locking it again.

Works great. I use the high side and it sits safely on the seat.

Helmet fits fine in the side case. Unless, of course, the case is full of something else you need.

Just running around town, side case works fine. If you're travelling, don't stop in high crime neighborhoods. :)

I really don’t want to use one of the luggage bags. Not sure it would fit anyway.
Like wfooshee said, most helmets will fit in the FJR side cases. I've used mine for that on all three generations of the bike (currently with a large Shoei Neotec) with no issues.

If you have certain bluetooth headsets that stick out, however, it might not.

Helmet fits fine in the side case. Unless, of course, the case is full of something else you need.
Just running around town, side case works fine. If you're travelling, don't stop in high crime neighborhoods.
smile.png
You can always identify those high crime neighborhoods by your helmet being gone when you get back.

If my side cases are full, I use this:

(click on image for larger view)

Works for any helmet except an open face one.

I close the visor to keep the rain out and reduce the visibility and any temptation to remove the visor.

It's the same cable I use to tie the bike to a lamppost if I think it's appropriate, most of its length is coiled up inside the helmet in the picture.

None of my Nolan or Shoei helmets fit in sidebags or in my givi top case, regardless of orientation. I won't store a helmet upside down to catch rain or god knows what else. I carry a coated cable and lock the helmet/s to the SR357 on those rare occasions where I need to lock a helmet.

I have bar ends that are keyed. They come off and the D ring fits in there perfectly and the bar end goes back on, securing the helmet. As long as it does not get cut off.

Those sound cool Cav, never heard of those...... searched and found a few companies that make them, though the way they hang would fill the helmets with rain water or the potential garbage can for passerby's.... I'm sure you've had no issues...

Here's the side mount pic with helmet....

2irou41.jpg

The Yankee Frugal Helmet Cable Lock

Buy a hunk of vinyl jacketed steel wire cable and two swages. Pressure crimp the swages on each end to make loops. Two philips screwdrivers and a bench vise, or one screwdriver and a hammer can be used to crimp the swages.

100_0222.jpg

Loop the cable through the chin bar(s) of the helmets and back through itself,

100_0220.jpg

then slip the free end loop under the locking tab of the seat.

100_0221.jpg

Helmet(s) will sit on the seat with the cable securing them. No rain inside, no opportunity to cut the chin strap and take the helmet (though that would be pretty stupid anyway)

100_0219.jpg

Store cable under the seat for use when the side bags are in use.

100_0223.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300's bracket on the high side of the bike. I don't lock mine; the lock isn't visible if the helmet's oriented visor-side up, and that orientation doesn't catch rain. Gloves and balaclava stow inside the hat.

I've always liked the mounts that my Wings have used under the trunks, so I made up a sheet metal bracket that allowed me to mount two Helmet Guardians https://www.helmetguardian.com/ to the bottom of the mount for my GIVI E52

IMG_0001-1.JPG

IMG_0001-1%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

IMG_0001-1%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Worked so well, I did the same for my GSX1100G .