Looking for ideas on helmet storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Givi 30L Monolock case just for helmet and gloves. Holds one helmet. I don't two-up and I don't like leaving my modular with the Sena blue tooth stuff hanging out there.

My Nolan N-104 fits in the side cases without any problems. Space is limited but I can usually get a couple of pairs of gloves in there also as long as they aren't really bulky.

Helmetlok. I've used this since I got my '14ES and can lock the helmet to my mirror, over my GPS, onto my tank bag or even get two helmets locked together to a grab rail on the back. Ad the optional coiled cable and you have more options. Not bad for $20 + $8 for the cable.

helmetlok-5.jpg

If only Yamaha had some of youse guys working in their design/engineering departments... What a bike that would be! I've been using a solution similar to Fred W's, only I loop a long cable through the frame and use it to secure two helmets, jackets, tank bag, etc. Of course if someone wants your stuff very badly, they will get it. I think I could cut the cable I use with my Leatherman. As they say, locks keep honest people honest...

Crooks are carrying around angle grinders these days. 3 or less seconds with a cordless grinder will render most cables and the Helmet lock locks useless. However, most people will see the lock and move on. No matter what we do, there is NO stopping the very determined thieves.

I just pickup a 2015 FJR1300ES and am looking for ideas on how to safely stow my helmet on the bike. Just resting it on the seat is asking for trouble. I really don’t want to use one of the luggage bags. Not sure it would fit anyway. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
For my set up, the ES model is very different on the left side. The right side is the same for the Gen II and Gen III's,

Some pic's, The left side ES with optional electrical outlet tab;

No outlet tab;

Helmet attached to an '07, same area as the Gen III;

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a basic coiled bike cable with a 4-digit password lock. It stays attached to my passenger grab rail, so it's there when I want it. I run the cable through the opening in my helmet- and if I want/need, it can also be used to lock my suit to the bike. The suit and helmet then sit on the seats, and away from hot exhausts or engine parts.

I never have enough room in my side or top cases to store the helmet or suit. So I had to come up with something else.

And when I am traveling and have a drybag on my passenger seat, I can take the cable and run it up through my handlebars. Still able to attach helmet and suit.

I have Townsend's brackets on both side of mine, with the Yamaha locks. Slip through the d-ring, lock it, drop the passenger footrest, and cradle the helmet on both footrests. I orientate the back of the helmets on the footrests, so the faceshield is facing up and doesn't get wet inside if it rains. The cradling keeps them away from hot parts too. Very happy with this setup.

I kind of combine the best of the best: I have Townsend's brackets on both sides with Helmet Guardian locks so they're the same key as the rest. Then for ease of use I use a piece of nylon coated wire rope like many others. To me it's easier to lock the rope loop than it is locking the helmet d-rings. The old arthritic knuckle bones have gotten bit less limber over the yrs.

+1 on Mr. Townsend's lock setup. I have 2 of them on my '08, and use them all the time.

Amazing to me that Yamaha would design a sport tourer without helmet locks. It doesn't matter if a helmet fits in the side bag or the factory top box. If I'm on a trip, my luggage is full. D'uh.

+1 on Mr. Townsend's lock setup. I have 2 of them on my '08, and use them all the time.
Amazing to me that Yamaha would design a sport tourer without helmet locks.
Whats really odd is all Yamaha has to do is weld a tab to each side of the sub-frame, bolt on the lock and its a done issue..

Maybe, its a liability thing, some DA crashes with the helmets locked to the bike while underway..

^^^^ Us sailors in Pearl Harbor rode that way all the time in the mid-1970s. Helmets required on base; not required off base. With a little practice, you could take your helmet off and hook it on the helmet lock while riding down the street. Had to stop to put it on, however.

I've always liked the mounts that my Wings have used under the trunks, so I made up a sheet metal bracket that allowed me to mount two Helmet Guardians https://www.helmetguardian.com/ to the bottom of the mount for my GIVI E52
IMG_0001-1.JPG

IMG_0001-1%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

IMG_0001-1%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Worked so well, I did the same for my GSX1100G .
Works great. I did the same right after I mounted the Givi rack.

I have a three-foot length of stainless aircraft cable that will lock my helmet and my jacket (run the cable up a sleeve) to the bike. Stops the opportunistic thief or teenager from lifting them, but a pro will have tools, that's why I sometimes just carry the helmet and jacket into wherever I'm going, especially if the weather is hot or cold. If it's hot, I want my helmet and jacket in the AC and nice and cool when I put them on, and if it's cold, I want the helmet and jacket nice and warm when I put them on.