Looking for mounting sugestions for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRider

Reaction score
Looking to mount my garmin 2610 on the FJR.

Would appreciate to hear what others have to say. :D

Also dont want to use that speaker/ power cord assembly. <_<

Is there anything made special for motorcycling and can does it have earphone connections? :)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Groo,

I currently have helibars (bar risers) installed. Do you think that mount would interfere or be a problem to install.

Where did you buy your GPS mount?

Looks lke a very clean set up :clap:

NYPete, the cable looks ok but you also have to buy the GPS mount. From the pictures, it looks flimsy. Groo GPS mount looks more secure :unsure:

Is it just me :huh:

Northrider,

Look at pictures 2 and 3 again... Heli bars you say? ;)

The stemstand and plate came from Techbiker. That's the short stem you see in my pics.

The locking adapter with the power/audio cable came in a package from Garmin, which you can get on their website (think they call it the motorcycle mount kit). That's actually the thing that Pete shows in his second link... it's mounted to the flat plate you get with the stemstand.

I like it, although I've tweaked it just a bit... in picture 2 from the link above, you'll see that the stem is rotated away from me. I've since rotated it about 90 degrees back towards me for 2 reasons. 1) It gets the unit a little closer to make it a little easier to see, and 2) it moves the on/off switch away from the handlebars, which were so close it made turning the unit off with gloves a challenge (you can just see the on/off switch next to the handlebars in pictures 2 and 3). Now, it's not a problem!

Northrider,
Look at pictures 2 and 3 again... Heli bars you say? ;)

The stemstand and plate came from Techbiker. That's the short stem you see in my pics.

The locking adapter with the power/audio cable came in a package from Garmin, which you can get on their website (think they call it the motorcycle mount kit). That's actually the thing that Pete shows in his second link... it's mounted to the flat plate you get with the stemstand.
Well I'm placing an order for this :)

Thanks for the help ;)

I have the Garmin 2730 mounted on a Techmount stem stand with the 3 inch arm,1.5 arm was back ordered.The stem mount is very stable,strong and inexpensive.The Garmin motorcycle mount fits right onto the Techmount predrilled holes.My Webpage

There is another option for the power cable, if you are using or considering using a Powerlet connection.

My '05 came with Powerlets front and rear, the front in the right side of the cockpit fairing. I have ordered a custom length cable from Powerlet for it - 2' on the Power cord, 5.5' on the audio, which I will hook up to my Autocom which I'm planning to put under the seat.

Linky below if interested...

https://www.powerletproducts.com/products/power_cables.php

Scroll down to model PPC-003 for the 2610.

I used the $$$ Touratech mount to mount my Garmin 2730. A couple reports of the Garmin mount breaking scared me off. Touratech is a fine piece. Locks the GPS, rubber mounted, and sturdy.

I finally got around to mounting mine today, though I still have to hard wire it in. With the Touratech, I had to do some modifying of the stemstand plate, but not too big a deal. So far I like the way it has turned out. I thought the 3" arm would be too big, but its perfect. Even with my large Yamaha tank bag in place I can still see all intstruments and idiot lights.

Here's the requisite piccies:

Touratech mounted on a Techmount stemstand:

GPSinstall012.jpg

GPS mounted:

GPSinstall013.jpg

Rider's eye view. Notice I can see all relevant lights/gauges. You can barely see the tankbag at the bottom of the photo.

GPSinstall016.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out where to mount the XM antenna, and how to use the dern'd thing!

Northrider,

I've got a 2610 and I use the Garmin locking baseplate on my FJR with a Gadget guy mount and on a Goldwing on a Ram Mount with 4" arm. I've put lotsa miles on both bikes and the 2610's solid as a rock, never moved or loosened.

NYPete

I have the Garmin 2730 mounted on a Techmount stem stand with the 3 inch arm,1.5 arm was back ordered.The stem mount is very stable,strong and inexpensive.The Garmin motorcycle mount fits right onto the Techmount predrilled holes.My Webpage
What is the round thing in the top of your tankbag?

Axeman~~~Thats the Garmin XM radio reciever which ties into the Gps on the 2730.I have the Garmin output inputed to my J&M CB.I can listen to xm radio and if i key or recieve a cb transmittion it mutes the xm radio and the xm radio is muted when the gps gives audio directions.The Garmin 2730 is a great all n one unit(GPS,XM RADIO,MP3) for a bike.

Northrider,I've got a 2610 and I use the Garmin locking baseplate on my FJR with a Gadget guy mount and on a Goldwing on a Ram Mount with 4" arm. I've put lotsa miles on both bikes and the 2610's solid as a rock, never moved or loosened.

NYPete
Glad to hear that Pete :p

I was starting to wonder if the techmount was sturdy enough. I surely don't want it coming loose on me. <_<

SkooterG, does the rubber mounts on your touratech absorb some of the vibration as well or its meant to lock in place the GPS only?

Just wondering since I live in "pot hole" city :(

Rubber mounts are there for vibration isolation of GPS unit. They have nothing to do with locking it in.

Touratech also has another model with bigger rubber doo-hickies for even more vibration isolation. They recommend it if you have a twin cylinder engine.

Here is a piccie of that one:

01-065-0068-01-lg.jpg

There are actually 4 different models you can choose from. Non-locking with either of the two different suspensions, and the locking model with choice of either suspension.

More info here: Clicky, Clicky