Looking for mounting sugestions for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Groo, what length of shaft did you get for the tech mount? :dribble:

1.5"

3.5"

4.5"

Is the standard size 3.5" OK for the FJR ?

Here's a quote from the techmount web site:

The replacement stem nut is machined from 6061 T6 aluminum and anodized to match the original equipment.Standard Shaft: 3.5 Tall Shaft: 4.5 Mini Shaft: 1.5

Thanks scooterG for the touratech link

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the $$$ Touratech mount to mount my Garmin 2730.  A couple reports of the Garmin mount breaking scared me off.  Touratech is a fine piece.  Locks the GPS, rubber mounted, and sturdy.
I finally got around to mounting mine today, though I still have to hard wire it in.  With the Touratech, I had to do some modifying of the stemstand plate, but not too big a deal.  So far I like the way it has turned out.  I thought the 3" arm would be too big, but its perfect.  Even with my large Yamaha tank bag in place I can still see all intstruments and idiot lights.

Here's the requisite piccies:

Touratech mounted on a Techmount stemstand:

GPSinstall012.jpg

GPS mounted:

GPSinstall013.jpg

Rider's eye view.  Notice I can see all relevant lights/gauges.  You can barely see the tankbag at the bottom of the photo.

GPSinstall016.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out where to mount the XM antenna, and how to use the dern'd thing!
Show off!! :p

I gotta ask you, how many running mice does it take to power a SP2730?

Mice? Heck, I dunno. I be using Tdub's favorite toys....errrr......critters - gerbils. And when they be tryin to run away from him, it only takes one to get dat wheel a spinnin. ;)

Mice? Heck, I dunno. I be using Tdub's favorite toys....errrr......critters - gerbils. And when they be tryin to run away from him, it only takes one to get dat wheel a spinnin. ;)
Don't make me come out there and bitch slap your sorry ass into a cactus field, boy! :****:

PS: Put the antenna on the brake fluid reservoir, dummy!

Don't make me come out there and bitch slap your sorry ass into a cactus field, boy! :****:

I have a design right now that will put it right there. ;)

Gerbil's public enemy #1 said:

ski-wi said:

I have a design right now that will put it right there.

Passport 8500 is mounted there. So ski-wi, make it so that it mounts to the clutch reservoir, and I will :wub: you forever.

Has anybody seen a ramball mount for the stem mount for the FJR? I like the stem mount but I would rather use a ramball in that position so it would be easier to swap out to my other bike and other electronics. All my crap is ramball mounted. Thanks, Chris

Has anybody seen a ramball mount for the stem mount for the FJR? I like the stem mount but I would rather use a ramball in that position so it would be easier to swap out to my other bike and other electronics. All my crap is ramball mounted. Thanks, Chris
I just purchased a ram ball that mounts in one of the handlebar screws. It is for a BMW RT or an FJR. I purchased it at Cycle Gadgets along with a 3" arm. It works just fine for me. It is #RCB-CHB-HDW+MIR on the above mentioned page. I did have my Quest mounted on a ram ball on the left mirror hole but I also sometimes mount a video camera or my digital camera, essentially using the bike as a tripod, so I wanted another mount.

Shep