Looking for source of in ear speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends,after installing my sirius radio & trying a couple combinations of helmet speakers ,then ear

bud speakers I find the ear buds don't cancel out enough road/wind noise.While useing the helmet speakers

w/ear plugs ,the road noise is gone but the volume on the radio is at max & just enough to barely hear. I

thought of a product called a "boosteroo" that is basically an in line amp.,but thats just another item to find a

location for.So,I will probably bite the bullet & get some good quality 'in ear speakers.The ones that I have

seen are "ER6"(not sure who makes them) that are about $140. Does anybody have a source for these or

other comparable units ? I don't want go the 'custom ear plug/speaker route',way to much for right now.

Thanks,for your help. Sliick2

Er6s are made by Etymotic. I use the ER6is, and love them for both the sound quality, and noise reduction. Trying to remember where I got them... you might try Google... As I recall, nobody had them at a HUGE discount... for that matter, you might see if Gary McCoy can sell them.

Er6s are made by Etymotic. I use the ER6is, and love them for both the sound quality, and noise reduction. Trying to remember where I got them... you might try Google... As I recall, nobody had them at a HUGE discount... for that matter, you might see if Gary McCoy can sell them.
+1

Don't think Gary will carry them, but just google them and you'll find some pretty good deals.

Got to Etymotic.com. you can buy direct from them but they also list vendors, most at a discount. About $100. After I rode with them for about a year and a half I went with custom earmolds with stereo. They don't quite cancel out as much road noise as the er-6's but are way more comfortable. Usually at any motorcycle event there are guys making and selling customs.

I understand you don't want to spend much right now, but I went through about 5 "so called cheap" solutions before I got smart and realized that if I wanted quality then I had to get a quality product, so...............................

my 2 cents........

I bought and use with a Sirius Radio interfaced into autocom intercom in-ear speakers from the Earplug Company https://www.earplugco.com Bob Weis is the owner and great to deal with. Under Products, I picked the Challenger C, $ 159.95. They are fantastic quality. I did go to a local ear person and had a molding done of my ears (about $10) and sent the molding to Bob. I highly recommend this product.

The Earplug Company

22550 Robbins Rd

Astatula, FL 34705

AND - I am sure the product FJRider1 mentioned is great too - I saw Marilyn at Americade and their booth was very busy!! Don't do the cheapy route - bite the bullet, get the best motorcycle option!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option you may be able to find locally are the Shure E2C's. I got mine at a local CompUSA for $99.

They come with several different sets of ear fittings on them - soft rubber, plastic, then foam earplugs, all in a couple of different sizes. I think I'm using the medium foam earplug types. They seem to block more sound than my normal foam earplugs and/or the Hearo's I also carry.

Sound is excellent. Because of the earplugs, I can keep the volume very low, and still hear the sound very well. They may be considered earbud type plugs... they seem to sit in the ear very comfortably. Only problem I had was the first time I removed my Shoei. I likes to pull the plugs out of my head.

There is a demonstration of the sound reduction on Shure's website. It seems fairly accurate based on my experience.

YMMV.

Jeff

I've been wanting a pair of custom molded ear plugs for 5 years now. I have the autocom with the boosteroo. I always wear ear plugs and always had the volume at full blast. I bit the bullet this year at Americade and had Marilyn make me a set of custom molded... Marilyn does all the big bike shows and there's ALWAYS a wait to see her. WHY didn't I do this 5 years AGO! I just bearly raise the volume now, when I get a call on the cell I don't have to raise the windshield full up slow to 50 just to catch a couple of words. Expensive but I will have them for many years. The only problem is all the wires! I run my autocom out of my tank back, wires going to the radar, XM, cell, and now an extra wire to the speakers in the helmet! I'm as wired as the space shuttle!

Marilyn's website; https://www.plugup.com/customearplugs.php

Amazon.com!!!

ER-6 for $79.99 w/free shipping. Clicky Here

ER-6i for $77.99 w/free shipping. Clicky Here

BTW, I have been happy with my ER-6 earbuds. They are not the perfect solution, but the best I have come up with so far. For me, they work better than the custom molded jobbies. Helmet is critical to comfort. In my tight fitting Shoei X-11, I can only go 2-6 hours before the ER-6 start causing some serious discomfort. But in my HJC flip helmet which has big ear pockets, I can go indefinitely with them in. During the Cal24 rally a week and a half ago, I had the ER-6 earbuds in for the whole 24 hours and experienced no discomfort.*

* As long as they are inserted correctly. That can take some practice too.

I went with Westone UM2 in-ear speakers. Extremely musical (they get better ratings than the Shure E5c) and are half the price ($250 if you shop). Westone provides most of the in-ear solutions for television and related applications, though that's with another series.

I have mine plugged into the Autocom when I ride - and into the iPod when I'm not on the bike.

I bought several high dollar ear speakers, and they all sound great. but the comfort level is not great. I finally got some custom molded ones made and they set me back less than $200.00. So if you are willing to spend $140.00, I say add a littke more and get some custom made, you will not regret it. :clapping:

Sliik

There is a cheep trick to using the ear buds. Put the ear bud in your ear as normal,

then slip one of the sponge type ear plugs in on top of the ear bud so it pushes

the ear but in to your and holds it there. I have been doing this for the last 7-8

years and it works great. I will try to take a pix of it tonight and post tomorrow

(hard to take a pix of my own ear but I'll try).

Keep the rubber side down!!

Dave

B)

Last edited:
Interesting Growler... I've been using my Etymotics for quite some time now, and never had any issues getting them in, or having them stay in. I have on occasion yanked on the chord by accident and pulled them out, but that wasn't a fit issue.

Interesting Growler... I've been using my Etymotics for quite some time now, and never had any issues getting them in, or having them stay in. I have on occasion yanked on the chord by accident and pulled them out, but that wasn't a fit issue.
+1

Occasionally, I have to put the Etymotics in, let them adjust a minute or two, then insert them a little farther to get a REALLY good seal.

I bought a set of replacement OEM foam plugs. Those were pricey, but I did wear out the original set in one season of riding. I think you could make replacement foam plugs to fit over the little canula that snaps into the bud. I chose not to fart with it, and paid about 17 bucks for three replacement sets.

but I did wear out the original set in one season of riding.
I bought a package of a dozen of the tiered rubber plugs from Etymotic... I can usually pull off a set, and get them pretty clean with a dab of handsoap and running water... let them dry and put them back on. After 4 months or so of use though, they start to show signs of not wanting to go back to their original shape, so I pull 'em off and slap on a new pair... Voila!

Adding to FJRider1's comments and Bounce's.

I saw Marilyn in Toronto. Good stuff. She had a few items there, that are not yet on her site.

She had something that looked somewhat like this
Std%20ear%20plugs.JPG
but rigged up with speakers and wires.

I plugged them into my MP3 player and then bought them on the spot.

It was called the "S" plug. $120 for me.

Friends,after installing my sirius radio & trying a couple combinations of helmet speakers ,then earbud speakers I find the ear buds don't cancel out enough road/wind noise.While useing the helmet speakers

w/ear plugs ,the road noise is gone but the volume on the radio is at max & just enough to barely hear. I

thought of a product called a "boosteroo" that is basically an in line amp.,but thats just another item to find a

location for.So,I will probably bite the bullet & get some good quality 'in ear speakers.The ones that I have

seen are "ER6"(not sure who makes them) that are about $140. Does anybody have a source for these or

other comparable units ? I don't want go the 'custom ear plug/speaker route',way to much for right now.

Thanks,for your help. Sliick2
Sliick2,

I always use the custom molded ear plugs when riding for noise protection. When I tried ear buds for my MP3, I couldn't find any that were comfortable, canceled out ambient noise or that I could keep in my ear. (maybe I have weird ear canal shape) So I had ear impressions made and sent off to "ear-inc" for stereo speakers fabricated.

Yes, pricy but man are they nice! :yahoo: Very comfortable, won't fall out, cancel ambient noise very well and have great sound.

If you can swing it, check these out: "Ear-Inc"

Rob