Looking for the best tire pressure (front Road Smart)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman47

Reaction score
I just returned from my local dealership where they replaced my front Road Smart tire for scupping and raised flat stop. The replaced front tire hand approx 400 miles on it and was beginning to wear funny. For obvious reason I was extremely glad that they replaced my tire for free. Another good reason is that my buddy and I are leaving Fort Worth in the morning in route for Birmingham. Destination Barbers Motor Sports Park for the AMA Honda Super Bikes races. The tire pressure that I ran on the previous tire was 40 psi. When I picked up the bike I picked up the bike I asked what pressure they suggested. Two shop tech’s both said 36 psi, the data plate on the bike says front tire pressure should be 39.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just don’t want to return from our trip and have to replace another front tire.

Thanks,

Matt

No experience with that tir, but your pressures don't sound out of line. Yeah, drop it from 40, but not all the way to 36 I don't think.

And there's nothing wrong (much) with your thread getting moved here. Tire pressure is one of the age-old questions seen over and over. Maybe you just got a bad tire, who knows?

My experience with that tire is there's about an inch wide section down the middle that's hard as hell. I put almost 10,000 miles on one mostly interstate and it looked great. But once I started leaning on it, it ground up about as fast as as any other, except for that middle ridge...

I don't think pressure will change anything...

Do you want longevity or comfort?

I have seen many threads about Dunlop's and have been running 39-41PSI so I get more mileage (lasting longer) out of the tire and no cupping. It may all be whoo-ee, but that's what I do.

The more PSI the less grip on the twisties.

Last edited by a moderator:
38 solo

39 2-up

RoadSmart front is a 2,000 mile tire on the FJR, if any appreciable amount is twisties.

8000 miles on mine and I had another 1000 left in them but was going on trip and wanted fresh tires. I ran 40 psi (very religiously checked) in the front and 42 in the back. 95% of those miles were freeway. I am on PRIIs now.

I've pretty fussy about keeping the TP at 40 front, 42-43 rear. I've got about 9K on a set of RoadSmarts now. Front is toast but rear has at least another 1K in it. First time I've ever worn out a front before the rear. This makes me think a Storm front and Dunlop RS rear might make a good pair for wear. Last time I switched out a set of Storms, the rear was toast at about 9K but the front had at least another 1-2 K in it. All of the tires I've had on the FJR have had great traction (maybe not the OEM 'stones) but I ride like a pussy (obvious with the mileage) and don't tax the rubber too much.

The manufacturer supposedly knows what the tire needs to maintain tire geometry and handling - on out rides that means 42 front, 39 rear.

Having said that, unless you have a great gauge, your tire pressure is only a guestimate . . .

The TPS system in my car is 'bang on'. How do I know? Because when I use a quality (Oxford) gauge and set all four tires to within .1 pounds indicated of each other, the TPS system reports all within a millibar (about 1/8th of a pound) of each other - so much for accuracy and repeatability.

My stick gauge? Is all over the map . . +/- about 1 pound.

I just returned from my local dealership where they replaced my front Road Smart tire for scupping and raised flat stop. The replaced front tire hand approx 400 miles on it and was beginning to wear funny. For obvious reason I was extremely glad that they replaced my tire for free. Another good reason is that my buddy and I are leaving Fort Worth in the morning in route for Birmingham. Destination Barbers Motor Sports Park for the AMA Honda Super Bikes races. The tire pressure that I ran on the previous tire was 40 psi. When I picked up the bike I picked up the bike I asked what pressure they suggested. Two shop tech’s both said 36 psi, the data plate on the bike says front tire pressure should be 39.
I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just don’t want to return from our trip and have to replace another front tire.

Thanks,

Matt
I asked the dealer to contact Dunlop regarding the Roadsmart.

Dunlop say the best pressure for the front is 39PSI but not more than 42PSI when cold.

Rear pressure I use is 42PSI (44PSI when touring) and I rail the crap out of the bike.

Hope this helps.

Ride safe,

Taff.