Looking into an FJR...good fit for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I just got into motorcycling three years ago at age 34. I said I would never ride a bike as a result of safety concerns, but as gas prices crept up, I looked into it. My father, who has been a rider for 50+ years, picked up a 1982 Suzuki GS650 for my first machine for $475. I am still riding it and like it a lot. This is the first year I have felt quite comfortable as a rider, and that confidence has made me a better pilot this year. I have put a total of about 9,000 miles on this bike, which now has about 30k on it and regularly tops 50 mpg.

Now that I have my feet wet in motorcycling (the most challenging to learn of motorized transportation...and I have 25,000 miles on snowmobiles, several thousand on ATVs and dirt bikes, as well as thousands of hours on boats and jet skis), I am looking larger.

I am a Yamaha guy - I just bought my fourth brand new Yamaha snowmobile last October - so naturally, the FJR caught my eye.

I love the looks and style, but am unsure of this is the type of bike for me, especially the riding position.

I have ridden a cruiser Yamaha Silverado and really liked the ride, and how comfortable it was, with lots of room for the driver. However, I do like the more aggressive position of the GS650, being higher up and more able to lean in to turns and feel more in control of the bike. A cruiser does not seem to offer those attributes as much.

Is the FJR riding position comfortable? I would like to be able to take long rides with my girlfriend and have us both be comfortable and make the experience pleasant for her so she wants to keep going! How is it riding an FJR with two people aboard - I am 6'1" and 215 lbs and she is not tiny (hope she doesn't read this) ;) I question whether leaning forward so much like a crotch rocket is comfortable, but then again, I don't know and that is why I am asking your opinion.

How about the ride itself? Absorbent? Or firm and sporty?

How about wind protection? One of the ways I would use this FJR is to ride to work about 1/3 of the year, which, in upstate NY, means some cold morning rides in the 30s. Is this bike comfortable in colder temps?

How about gas mileage? I have read about some guys getting upper 40s...that would be great. I don't ride too hard, mostly cruising at 55-60 mph.

I appreciate any advice and input...thank you!

Find one and sit on it. New or used, doesn't matter. You will find the riding position more like a dirtbike than a crotch rocket, the wind protection is very good (electric windshield) and you can replace the seat, the windshield and move the bars to suit your style. This is Yamaha's flagship, it runs as good as it looks. Is it perfect? No, but when you find a motorcycle that is perfect, let me know.

Find one and sit on it. New or used, doesn't matter. You will find the riding position more like a dirtbike than a crotch rocket, the wind protection is very good (electric windshield) and you can replace the seat, the windshield and move the bars to suit your style. This is Yamaha's flagship, it runs as good as it looks. Is it perfect? No, but when you find a motorcycle that is perfect, let me know.
Thanks, I will do that. I did sit on an '06 at a dealership about a month ago, but I wasn't really interested in an FJR at that time so I was really paying close attention to how it feels.

One Q I forgot to ask - is there a lot of maintenance on these bikes?

Everything depends on the individual. I don't think anyone can tell you how you will feel on a FJR.

If you really want comfort, especially for 2-up riding, get a Goldwing. My wife took one look at an FJR and said "no way, I want a Goldwing". We have a GW trike for 2up riding.

I had a 2 wheel Goldwing that I rode solo. Good ergonomics, comfortable. Heavy when stopped, great when moving. I traded it for the FJR. The FJR is a great, light handling bike. Not as comfortable as a GW though. The GW has more protection from the weather, too much on a hot summer day. The FJR, with the windshield down, has great air flow on hot days. Has pretty good protection in colder weather. I rode this winter down to 40 or so with reasonable comfort without special winter clothing.

Many of us have trouble with the FJR riding position putting too much weight on the wrists and the stiff throttle. Some have been able to solve that by training themselves to a particular riding position. Others have gotten relief with handlebar risers. Others are happy with the factory setup. It depends on the individual. There are many threads, including some current ones, on the riding position and putting weight on your arms and wrists.

Most bikes today do not allow you to change your riding position like the bikes in the 70s and 80s did. You are stuck with you butt in one very specific location, you cannot shift forward for a more upright position like you probably can on your GS650.

I get a consistent 46-48 mpg on the dash which is about 1.5-2 mpg high vs. calculated mileage (IOW 44-46 actual mpg). I am an easy rider in a rural area and I don't push the rpms high (I got 42-44 on the Goldwing).

To be honest, I somewhat wish I would have stayed with the Goldwing because of the seating position.....

Ken

Many here can confirm that this bike can run through the mileage like nobody's business. I've done many 10-12-hour days in the saddle myself. It's a Sport-Tourer, which means it's not completely one or the other; it's a pretty good compromise though! You will find that a lot of folks opt for a custom seat, and bar risers and such to help make the riding position more comfortable for them. The seat has a hi-lo adjustment as well, which helps a little. We ride 2-up frequently, and it doesn't miss a beat. The seats are the only sore spot (pun intended) for my wife though, and we are going to get a custom seat probably next winter. Whether or not it will be comfortable for you, only you can tell by finding one and sitting on it, as previously suggested. It is a more-upright position than a crotch-rocket, but it's not like a cruiser either. Sort of in-between (there's that compromise again...). It's not a dainty girl either (my AE is in the neighborhood of 650lbs), so being able or mostly able to flat-foot the bike is an important point too.

All that being said, she's a great ride! Every time I take her out, I end up grinning like an idiot in my helmet.

Where in 'upstate NY' are you located? If you're close enough, I might even ride your way and let you test-fit. :)

We're the same height and weight, so size-wise, I know it's right in your wheelhouse. Many here ride with wives or S.O.s, often very long distances; most pillions find it very comfortable, though many upgrade from the stock seat. You can customize a lot about the bike to suit both of your preferences, as R.H. said. Post-2005 FJRs have a seat that can be raised or lowered, too. My handlebars are raised and swept back more than most, others like them more forward. I have a couple extra windscreens that I change depending on season. In your neck of the woods, you'll probably want something bigger than stock for rain protection in addition to cold. It's not a sportbike, as far as your riding position is concerned, which just sitting down on one quickly shows. But it's so damn much more fun to ride than a cruiser, most of us here, at least, will agree, and most have owned many motorcycles over the years.

Thanks, I will do that. I did sit on an '06 at a dealership about a month ago, but I wasn't really interested in an FJR at that time so I was really paying close attention to how it feels.

One Q I forgot to ask - is there a lot of maintenance on these bikes?
You can find the maintenance schedule somewhere on this forum, it's not bad.

I have had lots of trouble with the air filter getting dirty, really quickly. Every other week I have to dump out the airbox. It gets filled with chrome Harley labels, little blue and white BMW roundels...

Just Kidding!

Maintenance isn't too bad. I think the maintenance schedule is posted somewhere here on the board. It's definitely not like the Honda NT-700 that takes 3 hours to get the plastic off for the 500 mile first maintenance!

I'm focusing on your 2 up comfort : The 1st generation bikes are too small for 2 people the size you noted, the 2006 and up are better (inch longer), but I would get on one (both of you) before I bought. My wife and I ride together on a 2007 FJR 8K to 10k yearly and love it, however, I'm 5'8", 180, and she's 5'3", 135, early 50's. We had a 2005 (1st Generation FJR)...no doubt, too small, even for us little people.

The riding position for you will be fine, you'll learn to like even if you need a mod or two.

FJR's are incredible bikes for the money, especially used.

GREAT responses so far, thanks everyone :clapping:

This is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

I just thought of something in regards to the riding position - I have a temperamental ganglion cyst at the top of my right wrist that acts up after a lot of motion in that joint, such as a day of snowmobiling or throwing the football. I wonder if this more rider-forward position will cause problems with it...hmmm...

Another Q -

Does anyone have the factory trunk accessory (for the ungodly amount of $700) - and if so - will a helmet fit inside of it? The 'ol 650 has a helmet lock, which is better than nothing, but I would like to completely secure the dome shield if possible.

Ken -

As for the Gold Wing...my father has tried to convince thats the way to go, but I just can't do it. I don't like the looks and it just seems so damn big.

WNYFJR -

I live in Sodus Point, about 40 miles east of Rochester, 50 miles west of Syracuse.

Potential -

Riding position - not crotch rocket, sits much more upright, as others have said there are plenty of options to customize the seat, bar position etc.. definitely a plus not a detraction

As to your wrist, a throttlemiester takes a lot of strain off the wrist when on long stretches. Allows you to release the throttle and rest / stretch your hand while keeping the throttle engaged.

Wind protection - excellent, plenty of options with various aftermarket windshields, shield is also adjustable. The fairing provides good cold weather protection. Heated grips became standard on the 2011 I think, and was previously standard on the AE bikes.

2 UP riding - wife initially wanted a Gold Wing, now she won;t even let me discuss it, she LOVES riding pillion on the FJR! We have the Yamaha Gel seat and she prefers it to the stock. You do have to be cognizant of the max weight capacity loaded for touring, 2 up if you are both fairly big people. Between my wife and I and all of our gear we were pushing 450 lbs, so that put us over the max load. I upgraded the rear suspension to the Penske shock and that took care of that, plus we lost 80 plus pounds between the two of us. That just increased my HP!

Top cases (trunk) - again plenty of options, many better options than the OEM. As a matter of fact, the OEM top case reportedly creates some instability when riding one up. Other options including the Givi and the Shad are much more aerodynamic and do not create the same kind of instability, and they cost much less!

Much safer than a cruiser in that you have better maneuverability, dual front disc and rear disc that are linked and ABS.

Gas mileage is dependent on several factors. Some folks report mileage north of 45. I am lucky if I get 40 mpg, but I have a tendency to twist the throttle quite a bit, coupled with the fact I have a larger windshield than most and I am a big dude.

Maintenance - relatively easy to change your own oil and other fluids, see chart for maint intervals

A used, low mileage FJR can easily be found for less than $9-10K, and one can expect the bike to run solid for 200K miles with proper maintenance and care.

Good luck with your decision. I can't imagine you choosing an FJR and ultimately not being happy / thrilled!

Last edited by a moderator:
Potential -

Riding position - not crotch rocket, sits much more upright, as others have said there are plenty of options to customize the seat, bar position etc.. definitely a plus not a detraction

As to your wrist, a throttlemiester takes a lot of strain off the wrist when on long stretches. Allows you to release the throttle and rest / stretch your hand while keeping the throttle engaged.

Wind protection - excellent, plenty of options with various aftermarket windshields, shield is also adjustable. The fairing provides good cold weather protection. Heated grips became standard on the 2011 I think, and was previously standard on the AE bikes.

2 UP riding - wife initially wanted a Gold Wing, now she won;t even let me discuss it, she LOVES riding pillion on the FJR! We have the Yamaha Gel seat and she prefers it to the stock. You do have to be cognizant of the max weight capacity loaded for touring, 2 up if you are both fairly big people. Between my wife and I and all of our gear we were pushing 450 lbs, so that put us over the max load. I upgraded the rear suspension to the Penske shock and that took care of that, plus we lost 80 plus pounds between the two of us. That just increased my HP!

Top cases (trunk) - again plenty of options, many better options than the OEM. As a matter of fact, the OEM top case reportedly creates some instability when riding one up. Other options including the Givi and the Shad are much more aerodynamic and do not create the same kind of instability, and they cost much less!

Much safer than a cruiser in that you have better maneuverability, dual front disc and rear disc that are linked and ABS.

Gas mileage is dependent on several factors. Some folks report mileage north of 45. I am lucky if I get 40 mpg, but I have a tendency to twist the throttle quite a bit, coupled with the fact I have a larger windshield than most and I am a big dude.

Maintenance - relatively easy to change your own oil and other fluids, see chart for maint intervals

A used, low mileage FJR can easily be found for less than $9-10K, and one can expect the bike to run solid for 200K miles with proper maintenance and care.

Good luck with your decision. I can't imagine you choosing an FJR and ultimately not being happy / thrilled!
Thanks for the reply, FJRBandit. I guess I need to find one and ride it. Like I said, I sat on one but wasn't really paying close attention as I was interested in other bikes at the time. Its funny how my motorcycling tastes have evolved in just the last month. In April, I was looking at a Suzuki C50 Touring cruiser with bags and a backrest. It is an 850cc twin with only about 55 hp. Not a fast machine (15 sec. 1/4 mile) but i wanted it for comfort. All of sudden not only do I want a faster, more maneuverable bike, but I have grown to appreciate the sporty nature of my old GS 650. My riding confidence just blossomed this spring out of nowhere. When I got the GS, it was simply cheap transportation in an era of rising gas prices. That hasn't changed, but now I actually enjoy it. Getting a windshield and some more comfortable and safe gear hasn't hurt the cause either.

I still want a bike that I can commute with to work and back (36 mile round trip, all two lane 55 mph highways with a couple of 30 mph zones), get at least mid 40s in mpg, ride comfortably, and have some zip for fun. Plus, I want to start taking some trips with my GF or by myself.

GREAT responses so far, thanks everyone :clapping:

This is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

Another Q -

Does anyone have the factory trunk accessory (for the ungodly amount of $700) - and if so - will a helmet fit inside of it? The 'ol 650 has a helmet lock, which is better than nothing, but I would like to completely secure the dome shield if possible.

WNYFJR -

I live in Sodus Point, about 40 miles east of Rochester, 50 miles west of Syracuse.
You don't need to spend anywhere that for a OEM (or other brand) top box. I just went this very same thing. They are available brand new for as 'little' as $350.00 (plus the cost of a rack) or you can wrestle with the potentially superior and more versatile choices from Shad and Givi. Lots of info here with a little looking.

To your last point, I am in Utica, 45 minutes east of Syracuse so if your ever in the neighborhood let me know and you can gladly check out my 2009.

After further reflection, and after reading several of the replies others have posted, I offer the following modified advice: don't buy an FJR.

If you do, you'll want to come back many times to this useful and entertaining website, and you've chosen a name that simply won't do for an FJR owner. And they don't let you change your screen name once chosen. Sorry. Too bad.

If you take this advice and decide to look more deeply into Goldwings, this additional point: don't sign on there as "PotentialGoldwingOwner." If you do, you can't buy one of them, either.

Glad to see another person in the area with interest in the FJR. I think there are two other FJRForum members in our area, glad to see the number might me going up by one. Hope you decide to make the purchase. Since you are from Sodus Point and snowmobile rider I’m sure you have been to Stone’s Snow Sled more than once, which is where I got my FJR.

The riding position is different than other bikes I have ridden and took me about 500 miles to get use to. I was found myself putting too much weight on my hands so my hands, wrists and shoulders were getting sore. Looked up the Master Yoda position, scooted a little forward on the seat and problems are now gone.

My wife doesn’t ride so I can’t offer anything on two up.

I have a 45 minute ride to work and the seat is fine, for now. Need to spend four plus hours in the saddle before deciding to upgrade the seat or not. A lot of people here have upgraded theirs so it’s something you might want to keep on the radar.

Wind protection is really nice on 30 degree days with the windshield all the way up, but I am 5’8” and 160 lbs. Since you are over 6 ft some of the taller guys have purchased taller after market windshields. I have to admit 30 degree is damn cold on the bike, makes riding when its 34 feel kind of warm. Since you ride sleds your winter riding gear will get some extra use, keep that gear out a little longer and you will be fine on 30 degree days. Grip warmers are very nice.

Good luck with your decision and hope you become a FJR owner.

You are welcome to check out my '09. I live in Webster and ride Lake Rd. regularly. It has Rick Mayer custom seats and a passenger backrest made by a forum member, Gary. Also, it has highway pegs which you may be interested in for trips.

The wife and I are about to take it on a trip, but we should be back Monday.

The bike is great two up if you're not both HUGE people. Awesome bike to own. My wife wishes it was more sportbike-like on the back 'cause she doesn't think she looks sexy enough on the FJR - I guess that's either a promotion or a downside of the passenger depending how you look at it.

Maintenance is pretty much nill on an FJR. A morning in the garage every 26k miles and you're good to go.

Only issue is the FJR likes tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

First gen here. My wife and I are huge people. I am 6'8" and she's 5'8". Together we are close to 400 lbs. I couldn't, for the life of me, imagine wanting a bigger bike. The FJR is freakin huge and a total sofa. I have plenty of room to move around. The comments from five foot tall people about needing a bigger ride are interesting...

If I were only going to go 50-60 mph, and wanted great gas mileage I'd get a Prius. Has great wind protection, too. Does one need wind protection at 50 mph?

LOL, I guess I don't understand this thread at all.