Looking into an FJR...good fit for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First gen here. My wife and I are huge people. I am 6'8" and she's 5'8". Together we are close to 400 lbs. I couldn't, for the life of me, imagine wanting a bigger bike. The FJR is freakin huge and a total sofa. I have plenty of room to move around. The comments from five foot tall people about needing a bigger ride are interesting...

If I were only going to go 50-60 mph, and wanted great gas mileage I'd get a Prius. Has great wind protection, too. Does one need wind protection at 50 mph?

LOL, I guess I don't understand this thread at all.
What I don't understand is how you're 6'8" and your combined weight is under 400#, and your wife is huge! :dribble:

Has she seen this post? :lol:

I came over from a sporty bike due to riding position and wrist issues. I find the FJR very upright compared to it, I'm 6-3.

My wife and I are pretty comfortable for a few hour ride, she's 6'. For a sporty ride and providing comfort for a passenger, it is a tough bike to beat.

Dean -

Yeah I am very familiar with Stones. That's where my four Yamaha sleds were bought! Great guys there, though they are down to just Terry in the service dept.

I doubt I would buy from them unless they had a used one. Perhaps I can send you a private message one of these days and check your bike out. Let me know if that is ok.

I have been commuting 75 miles round trip on the GS650 so far this week and it gets pretty tiring, especially on the ride home. The wind becomes fatiguing and the seat gets uncomfortable after awhile. I definitely need a more comfortable bike if I am gonna make this commute in the future (probably next year).

My 650 is fine for my 36 mile commute from my permanent residence. I think I would never want to ride for pleasure after riding the GS that long during the week and that is not my goal.

Net dude - I may take you up on that offer...I am staying in Webster myself for the next month. I live on lake road in sodus point most of the time.

What I don't understand is how you're 6'8" and your combined weight is under 400#, and your wife is huge! :dribble:
Has she seen this post? :lol:
SHHH! Yeah, I have the NBA build. She has the "powerlifter" build. I'm gonna just go with that.

But seriously, it's plenty of bike for both of us. When you are super tall, you don't bitch about little comfort issues. You worry about your knees sticking out past the fairing cut outs. You worry about your size 16s hitting the passenger pegs. I can't fit an FZR1000, Blackbird, or a Triumph ST for the first reason. No Ninja 1000s for the second reason.

When I start shopping for a bike one of the first things I do is google for the bike and "tall" or other keywords. Then I find threads like this and read the responses. Had I read this one, with 5.5 foot tall people saying it's too small for 2 up, I might have just moved on to the next bike. It's usually true, and how I found out the Sprint ST is way too small. So anyway, I am putting this down in print to help the next sasquatch who comes along.

How's the wind protection for the legs? That's the part of my body that gets the most cold on mornings below 50 degrees. It looks like your legs tuck in nicely behind the faring cut outs but wanted to ask the experts for certainty.

legs be warm
Yep, only time my legs got cold were when I was riding in 16F temps wearing only jeans and my Kevlar mesh overpants.

Back to maintenance, people say it's "not bad"...don't let them fool you, it's downright simple. The air filter can be a little annoying to get to, but even that only takes 20 minutes or so. Oil changes, spark plugs, throttle body sync are all dead simple, and there's a wealth of knowledge and write-ups in these forums and a few other FJR oriented websites.

A friend of mine rides 2up on his FJR with his wife. They went to look at a Goldwing, and she didn't really find it to be any more comfortable or roomy. She did like the arm rests though :p

How's the wind protection for the legs? That's the part of my body that gets the most cold on mornings below 50 degrees. It looks like your legs tuck in nicely behind the faring cut outs but wanted to ask the experts for certainty.
The Gen II FJR's fairings are adjustable to allow wind deflection on the legs and divert more heat to that area...they have two positions. I have never had to use, as I live and ride mostly in south Texas, but it is a nice feature. I am not sure if the Gen I bikes have the same option.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen II FJR's fairings are adjustable to allow wind deflection on the legs and divert more heat to that area. I am not sure if the Gen I bikes have the same option.
They don't. And there's nothing to blow off in the wind, either.

You might take a look at Baker Air Wings, something I keep hesitating to get. Cool in summer, warm in winter, so they say.

GREAT responses so far, thanks everyone :clapping:

This is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

I just thought of something in regards to the riding position - I have a temperamental ganglion cyst at the top of my right wrist that acts up after a lot of motion in that joint, such as a day of snowmobiling or throwing the football. I wonder if this more rider-forward position will cause problems with it...hmmm...

Another Q -

Does anyone have the factory trunk accessory (for the ungodly amount of $700) - and if so - will a helmet fit inside of it? The 'ol 650 has a helmet lock, which is better than nothing, but I would like to completely secure the dome shield if possible.

Ken -

As for the Gold Wing...my father has tried to convince thats the way to go, but I just can't do it. I don't like the looks and it just seems so damn big.

I put the 55 Givi box on the back, gives you a nice rack when not using the box. The box will hold two helmets or helmet and coat and accessories. Nice stuff. There are some nice pics on the site

WNYFJR -

I live in Sodus Point, about 40 miles east of Rochester, 50 miles west of Syracuse.

GREAT responses so far, thanks everyone :clapping:

This is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

I just thought of something in regards to the riding position - I have a temperamental ganglion cyst at the top of my right wrist that acts up after a lot of motion in that joint, such as a day of snowmobiling or throwing the football. I wonder if this more rider-forward position will cause problems with it...hmmm...

Another Q -

Does anyone have the factory trunk accessory (for the ungodly amount of $700) - and if so - will a helmet fit inside of it? The 'ol 650 has a helmet lock, which is better than nothing, but I would like to completely secure the dome shield if possible.

Ken -

As for the Gold Wing...my father has tried to convince thats the way to go, but I just can't do it. I don't like the looks and it just seems so damn big.

WNYFJR -

I live in Sodus Point, about 40 miles east of Rochester, 50 miles west of Syracuse.
As a response to your question about the factory trunk, yes it does fit my Shoei Qwest helmet in the freakin' large XL size that my head requires. Also have a Sena SMH10 communicator mounted which fits with no problems. However, were I to purchase a case for my bike and it did not already come with the Yammie top case (like mine did from the prior owner), I would not buy it. Other than matching the sweet paint job of my Cobalt Blue '06, I like the design, strength, and larger size of the Givi lineup much better. Just a thought... happy shopping, I loved the search for Falco (my bike) and couldn't be happier 15 days (and 1,700 miles) after my purchase.

...just be warned, this *amn website will cost you time, money, and watching your favorite TV shows on TIVO! And you're in the company of some great riders and generally amazing people... so change your username and join the club! ;)

Dean -

Yeah I am very familiar with Stones. That's where my four Yamaha sleds were bought! Great guys there, though they are down to just Terry in the service dept.

I doubt I would buy from them unless they had a used one. Perhaps I can send you a private message one of these days and check your bike out. Let me know if that is ok.

I have been commuting 75 miles round trip on the GS650 so far this week and it gets pretty tiring, especially on the ride home. The wind becomes fatiguing and the seat gets uncomfortable after awhile. I definitely need a more comfortable bike if I am gonna make this commute in the future (probably next year).

My 650 is fine for my 36 mile commute from my permanent residence. I think I would never want to ride for pleasure after riding the GS that long during the week and that is not my goal.

Net dude - I may take you up on that offer...I am staying in Webster myself for the next month. I live on lake road in sodus point most of the time.
Potential -

Actually if you want to take a look at it you don’t have to drive far. Sad to report mine is in the hospital/at Stone’s now, clutch is sticking. I am going away this weekend and it will be there until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

When it comes to getting a bike do you think Jack can get you a new ’10 or ’11?

Feel free to PM me, it would be great to meet up sometime. Keep in mind my wife and boys tend to keep my calendar full so hopefully it doesn’t get scheduled too far out.

Yeah, I will do that. As for getting an '10 or '11, I can't afford it and wouldn't want to lay out that much money anyway the first time buying a bike like this. I wouldn't want to go from a $475 thirty year old Suzuki to a ~$15K new bike! Gotta pay off my 2012 Yamaha first - RS Vector snowmobile that is. $7000 this time next year is in my range. There's a couple in the area on CL right now.

Have fun on your getaway and I will be in touch!