Looking to buy an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjd

Reaction score
Greetings.

I've decided to sell my Honda VFR and move to a true sport-touring motorcycle. The FJR is the bike I keep on gravitating to. Almost picked up a 2005 for probably more money than I should have spent recently, but cooler heads prevailed and I thought a little research (as well as actually selling the VFR) was needed.

Budget says that the bike should be used. In the research I have done it appears that I should be looking at 2006 or newer because of some of the changes between the models. I believe that is the first year that ABS came standard, and there seemed to be some improvements to heat management (I live in Phoenix).

I'd appreciate opinions about benefits or what to watch for with certain model years.

There's an AE going cheap at the local bike store, but nit sure whether I am ready to give up the control of a clutch, and I wonder if it's going cheap because of the AE.

Thanks for your help!

I'm partial to the GENII's, 2006 and up. Lots of subtle improvements that a make a good bike better. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with any year FJR as long as you find a well kept example.

Good luck with the search.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, abs became standard in 2006. It was an option in 2004/2005.

Some definite 'improvements' were made to Gen II FJRS (2006+) incuding heat management, but you also got some other 'new' issues with that model.

There are several of us in the Phoenix area riding the old Gen Is and loving them. (I ride everyday, no matter how hot it is)

Feel free to 'PM' me for more detailed advice on FJR in general of value of a used one.

I'm partial to the GENII's, 2006 and up. Lots of subtle improvements that a make a good bike better. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with any year FJR as long as you find a well kept example.

--G
Trying to get in touch with you about the bike you have for sale. Not sure I used the PM feature properly.

--G
Trying to get in touch with you about the bike you have for sale. Not sure I used the PM feature properly.
Responded to your PM. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

--G

I have a Gen 1, 60,000+ miles worth of riding it. If I lived in Phoenix I'd buy a Gen 2.

I imagine, with little research and trial and error and insulation stuffed in, you could make a big improvement

in the heat management on the Gen 1's, but why bother. Also some say gen 2 stock suspension is better.

enjoy and welcome

I have a Gen 1, 60,000+ miles worth of riding it. If I lived in Phoenix I'd buy a Gen 2.
Funny. I had 226,000+ miles of riding a Gen I in Phoenix. And I bought another Gen I. And then a third. :unsure:

Greetings.

I've decided to sell my Honda VFR and move to a true sport-touring motorcycle. The FJR is the bike I keep on gravitating to. Almost picked up a 2005 for probably more money than I should have spent recently, but cooler heads prevailed and I thought a little research (as well as actually selling the VFR) was needed.
I'm just going to add that this year I did exactly what you're thinking of, I sold my trusty VFR800 and bought a '10 FJR. I don't regret it at all, though I'll always miss that VFR. I realized that the kind of riding I was gravitating to, and wanting to do more of requred a more comfortable bike with the ability to easily carry some stuff with me, but I didn't want to give up the power and handling I was used too. I bought my '02 VFR new and had it until this spring, and I loved it for the quality. It was a perfect design, but not comfortable enough for longer ride. The FJR is superior in comfort by a huge margin, but still has very good handling, close the the VFR even. It's a bigger, heavier bike so it will never have the finesse of a VFR but it's still very fun to ride. THe frame and suspension aren't in the same league as the VFR's, but that bike was about as good as they ever come. The FJR doesn't feel as tight as a VFR, but it is much larger. The suspension isn't as perfectly controlled, but it's close and very nice to ride. The stock FJR seat sucks about as much as the VFR seat though, but it's not as forward slopped as the VFR was. The FJR windscreen isn't as effective as the VFR's in the low position either, but the adjustability is great to have. I love the FJR, and I know this was the perfect trade for me. My passenger loves it more as well, she's much more comfortable on the FJR and is enjoying longer rides as well. If you're looking for a more comfortable VFR, that retains a lot of the same fun factor, then this is about the only bike out there for you, and as a former long time VFR owner I can say I don't regret the trade at all. In fact I'm loving riding again a little more than I have in the past few years because it's more comfortable, but still fast, fun, and stylish.

Greetings.I've decided to sell my Honda VFR...

I'd appreciate opinions...
Owning a VFR may indicate an appreciation for up-to-date technology -- gear-driven cams, single-sided swinging-arm...?

There's an AE going cheap at the local bike store, but nit sure whether I am ready to give up the control of a clutch, and I wonder if it's going cheap because of the AE.Thanks for your help!
Therefore: an "AE" -- with its Formula One racing derived 'trigger shift' -- may be the better choice...? :unsure:

Many would (and did) pay extra for that feature... :blink:

You're welcome.

Greetings.

I'm just going to add that this year I did exactly what you're thinking of, I sold my trusty VFR800 and bought a '10 FJR. I don't regret it at all, though I'll always miss that VFR. I realized that the kind of riding I was gravitating to, and wanting to do more of requred a more comfortable bike with the ability to easily carry some stuff with me, but I didn't want to give up the power and handling I was used too. I bought my '02 VFR new and had it until this spring, and I loved it for the quality. It was a perfect design, but not comfortable enough for longer ride. The FJR is superior in comfort by a huge margin, but still has very good handling, close the the VFR even. It's a bigger, heavier bike so it will never have the finesse of a VFR but it's still very fun to ride. THe frame and suspension aren't in the same league as the VFR's, but that bike was about as good as they ever come. The FJR doesn't feel as tight as a VFR, but it is much larger. The suspension isn't as perfectly controlled, but it's close and very nice to ride. The stock FJR seat sucks about as much as the VFR seat though, but it's not as forward slopped as the VFR was. The FJR windscreen isn't as effective as the VFR's in the low position either, but the adjustability is great to have. I love the FJR, and I know this was the perfect trade for me. My passenger loves it more as well, she's much more comfortable on the FJR and is enjoying longer rides as well. If you're looking for a more comfortable VFR, that retains a lot of the same fun factor, then this is about the only bike out there for you, and as a former long time VFR owner I can say I don't regret the trade at all. In fact I'm loving riding again a little more than I have in the past few years because it's more comfortable, but still fast, fun, and stylish.
I'd say that's exactly where my head is at right now. I love the VFR but about half way through a ride I'm ready to be off it and home. I've lived in Phoenix for 4 years and while there are areas with twisties it takes a while to get to them. I've always gravitated to lighter, better handling bikes so this is going to be a departure for me but seems a good compromise. Certainly good to hear that you did not regret your choice.

Thanks to all for your input. Picking up escapefjrtist's 2006 in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the ride home (1,500 miles).